Dual CITIZENSHIP WITH DUAL PASSPORTS

Some time ago (I believe it was Samran), provided information regarding the showing of passports at the airports by a Thai national who possesses both a Thai and a U.S. passport when he/she travels to/from Thailand and the United States. He assured readers that there is no problem as dual citizenship is accepted in Thailand and the U.S..  My Thai wife (who has dual citizenship and passports for Thailand and U.S.) and I (on a retirement visa) will be moving permanently to Thailand soon.  I believe he stated that all my wife needs to do when traveling to/from Thailand and U.S. is show the airline check-in both passports to show that she has the legal right to enter the destination country without a visa, and said that immigration these days don't care if there isn't a "stamp trail" in passports.  My question: Should she show both passports at the airline check-in at the airports in both countries, or just in Thailand. 

I would greatly appreciate clarification of this matter.

Sid Leonard

Probably both, how else would the airline know if she would be able to enter the country? I will be moving to Thailand in February my wife is also a dual citizen of the US and Thailand, I will let you know how it goes.

• Like 1

I would do the following:

1.  Purchase ticket from US to Thailand using the details of her Thai passport.

2.  Check-in at the US airport using only her Thai passport.

3.  There is typically no explicit check made when exiting the US, but if there were she should show only her US passport (which she should have used to enter the US).

4.  Enter Thai immigration using her Thai passport.

This doesn't require her to show both passports to anyone.  I am of the opinion that it is easier and quicker to only show the appropriate passport to the appropriate official.  Makes the official's job easier and quicker which is an advantage to the passenger.

To go back to the US she would:

1.  Purchase a ticket from Thailand to the US using the details of her US passport.

2.  Check-in at Thai airport using only her US passport.

3.  Exit Thai immigration using only her Thai passport (which she should have used to enter Thailand).

4.  Enter US immigration using her US passport.

Again, there is no reason for a dual national to show two passports to any official (immigration or airline) if done in this manner.  Nobody need know you're a dual national.  Dual nationals travel easier and faster if they present themselves as regular, non-special travelers.  To do this it is necessary to know the right passport to show the appropriate official as outlined above.

There are two general rules to follow.  One must always exit a country's immigration using the same passport with which one entered the country.  One must always use a country's passport to enter that country if you have such a passport.  In the US this last rule is a legal requirement, but it is always a good idea because you receive the most advantages (no visa required, no limit to duration of your visit, etc.) when using that passport.

Do not show both passports at Thai immigration. It probably will not matter, but it is asking for unnecessary trouble. Show only the Thai passport. Generally, book the air ticket using details in the Thai passport. Depending on where departure is being made, and the passport used to enter that country, it may be necessary to show both passports at flight check in, and the other passport at immigration exiting the other country. Never show multiple passports unnecessarily. You rarely need to show both passports to any immigration official, and should not as it can cause confusion.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm a dual citizen of the US and Thailand; when I enter Thailand I use my Thai passport.  The problem I face every time I leave Thailand back the States is when I exit and try to clear passport control.

Since I entered Thailand using my Thai passport, I have no entry stamp in my US passport.  I am forced to show both passports since I do not have a US Visa in my Thai passport.  This is when all hell breaks loose and I get interrogated in a little room, luckily I've always been able to talk my way out.

Now I avoid the hassle and only enter with my US passport.  

56 minutes ago, Yeahrightdennis said:

I'm a dual citizen of the US and Thailand; when I enter Thailand I use my Thai passport.  The problem I face every time I leave Thailand back the States is when I exit and try to clear passport control.

Since I entered Thailand using my Thai passport, I have no entry stamp in my US passport.  I am forced to show both passports since I do not have a US Visa in my Thai passport.  This is when all hell breaks loose and I get interrogated in a little room, luckily I've always been able to talk my way out.

Now I avoid the hassle and only enter with my US passport.  

Bad news and good news for you!  The bad news is that you're doing it wrong.  The good news is if you stop doing it wrong you will avoid all future hassle. ?

If you have a passport for the particular country you happen to be in at the moment, you should always use that passport.  Every time. That is, when dealing with immigration officials.  Immigration officials do not need to know you have more than one passport and not disclosing that little piece of information will do wonders for your peace of mind (and theirs, too)!

Here's what you should be doing:

When you arrive in Thailand and are going through immigration show *only* your Thai passport to Thai immigration officers because you're in Thailand and there's no place in the world where it's better to be a Thai than in Thailand.  Also, why would you not want to use the shorter Thai passport holder-only lines through immigration, or even better than that the automatic (unmanned) gates that only Thais can use?

Enjoy your stay in Thailand like only a Thai can!

When you leave Thailand and are at the airport ready to check into your flight returning to the US, show the check-in agent at your airline *only* your US passport.  The airline check-in agent only cares about two things: 1) you are who you say you are, and 2) the airline will not be liable for carting your butt back to Thailand if the US decides not to allow you to enter the country (secret: it won't because you're a US Citizen).  Your US passport satisfies the airline check-in agent and makes his and your life easy as pie.

When you exit Thai Immigration show the Thai immigration officer *only* your Thai passport because you're still in Thailand.  The officer will stamp you out on your Thai passport and once you're on the airplane you can put the Thai passport in a safe place as from that point on you'll be using your US passport.

Again, always use the passport of the country in which you are in (if you have such a passport), when dealing with immigration officials of that country.  The one exception is the airline check-in agent:  you show him or her the passport of the country you are going to.  Why?  Because the airline is on the hook if you can't enter that country and the best thing to a guarantee that you will be allowed entry is if you are a citizen of that country, right?  Your life and the lives of everyone you deal with will be immeasurably improved.  Why make the immigration officer think?  That can be very taxing for some.  Show him the right passport and make his job easy!  Why make an immigration official deal with two passports when they only need one.  Keep it simple, silly.  Same goes with airline check-in agents.  They only need (want) to see one passport, the right one.  Easy for them means faster for you.

By all means, tell your friends you have two passports.  I'm jealous, I have to get by with only one.  But never, never, tell anyone who has to conduct travel business with you (immigration officials, airline officials) that you have two passports.  It can in no way help you.  It can only hurt you.  At a minimum it will only slow them down which will slow you down.  Because they don't need to know that.  Don't force them to fret over something they don't need to know.  Only when a situation arises where you are going to be imprisoned otherwise should you volunteer to an official that you have two passports.

By the way, you follow the same rules when in the US.  You show *only* your US passport to US immigration officers when you are, you guessed it, in the US.  There's no need to show your passport to US immigration officers when you exit the US, but if there were you would show them your US passport because, yes, you are still in the US.  Also, it's illegal to use any other passport to enter the US if you have a US passport.  So not only is this a good thing to do, it's the only legal thing to do.

As an aside, you will probably not have to show the US airline check-in agent your Thai passport when you travel to Thailand because US citizens get 30-day Visa Exempt Entries in Thailand.  You might have to do so if you did not have a return ticket out of Thailand, but maybe not even then.

I'll grant that this stuff isn't obvious before the fact, but it should be obvious after the fact.  The immigration officer only cares about your entering the country and leaving the country.  Not so much where you came from or where you're going.  Not their job.  The airline check-in agent cares about whether you will be allowed into the country you are flying to.  Not so much how you enter or exit Thailand.  Not their job.  Put yourself in the position of either of these officials:  wouldn't you rather be handed the *one* right passport by your customer, than have *two* passports thrust at them so they can figure out what the heck is going on?  It's simple courtesy, really.

Never show two passports to Thai immigration in my experience, it will only cause confusion and possibly grief. My wife was almost refused permission to board the plane on one occasion because of the confusion around which passport she had entered on and which passport she was leaving on.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1