Briton killed fighting Islamic State in Syria

webfact

Briton Ryan Lock killed fighting Islamic State in Syria

A British man has been killed fighting so-called Islamic State in Syria, Kurdish activists have told the BBC.

Ryan Lock, 20, from Chichester, West Sussex, travelled to join Kurdish forces known as the YPG in August.

His family said Mr Lock, a chef who had no military experience, was a "very caring and loving boy".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38492921

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-01-03

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

'very caring and loving boy' but not the sharpest knife in the kitchen which is where he should have stayed.

Perhaps.  Or is this the 21st Century equivalent to the Spanish Civil War?  Many of Hemmingway's compatriots had no military training.  Do we need more people who care?

2 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

Perhaps.  Or is this the 21st Century equivalent to the Spanish Civil War?  Many of Hemmingway's compatriots had no military training.  Do we need more people who care?

They also lost. Send the professionals, they like killing and they are trained to do so or better still stay out of it and let them sort out their own country 

22 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

They also lost. Send the professionals, they like killing and they are trained to do so or better still stay out of it and let them sort out their own country 

Can't disagree with your logic, but if they'd won in Spain, history may have been very different. 

On 03/01/2017 at 2:00 AM, Familyonthemove said:

Can't disagree with your logic, but if they'd won in Spain, history may have been very different. 

Sorry I didn't get the story, did the fascists won the war in Spain during that time or was it the leftists who won? My european history is almost zero.

21 minutes ago, madusa said:

Sorry I didn't get the story, did the fascists won the war in Spain during that time or was it the leftists who won? My european history is almost zero.

The Fascists won by using direct military support from Hitler.  It was a dress rehearsal for World War 2.

13 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I don't know. I recently saw a Scottish sniper who was also fighting ISIS and thought about this. If a person feels he needs to get involved, a sort of calling, I would rather he was on the anti-IS side, than as happens more frequently they join ISIS itself. This evil group needs to be eliminated and Governments have failed so far.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't know. I recently saw a Scottish sniper who was also fighting ISIS and thought about this. If a person feels he needs to get involved, a sort of calling, I would rather he was on the anti-IS side, than as happens more frequently they join ISIS itself. This evil group needs to be eliminated and Governments have failed so far.

I agree that they are the personification of  evil but the West has interfered in the middle East too much in the past with dire consequences, bad regimes have been pulled down to be replaced by chaos. The West, especially the USA, shouldn't take on the role of being the worlds policemen. As for a 'calling' i wonder if it isn't more of a sense of adventure combined with the opportunity to shoot at moving targets.

13 hours ago, madusa said:

Given what the Spanish Civil War was a precursor to, it should be classed as global history, not just European. It was also well documented by some quite famous authors. Hemingway is mentioned above, but, in my opinion, the best personal account is Orwell's Homage to Catalonia. Given that 1984 and Animal Farm are bandied about by many on this forum, often by those demonstrably showing they don't really understand the true meaning of them, "Homage" should be more well read as an insight into where the roots for the themes of the two more famous books began.

On 03/01/2017 at 6:52 AM, Familyonthemove said:

The Fascists won by using direct military support from Hitler.  It was a dress rehearsal for World War 2.

Thanks, now I got the picture. So from there the fascist realized how easy it was to beat the leftist or the communists?

I once heard that Winston Churchill loved wars all his life even since childhood. He was happy that Hitler wanted to conquer Europe, so Churchill sort of encouraged Hitler to come on and fight.

They called him the Bulldog didn't they ?for his ferocity.

On 04/01/2017 at 8:14 AM, soalbundy said:

I agree that they are the personification of  evil but the West has interfered in the middle East too much in the past with dire consequences, bad regimes have been pulled down to be replaced by chaos. The West, especially the USA, shouldn't take on the role of being the worlds policemen. As for a 'calling' i wonder if it isn't more of a sense of adventure combined with the opportunity to shoot at moving targets.

+1

"The West, especially the USA, shouldn't take on the role of being the worlds policemen."
We need to ask why it is, that countries want to be a world police officer.