Can My School...

Hi all,

I got a job at a school, got all the paperwork, then left the country for Laos where I got a non-B, then came back in. I filled out more paperwork and gave the school the 5000 baht needed for the work permit. I have not yet had anything new (extension for example) stamped in my passport, nor have I gone to any government office. I don't know if I have a work permit, but I definitely don't have anything physical. My school said there was "more to do".

Unfortunately the job has not turned out to be what it was supposed to be. Long story. Short version: I will quit next week. But I'd like to stay in Thailand for the duration of my visa.

Is there anything the school can do to make me leave the country before the 90 days of my non-B is up? As I said, I don't know if they have submitted any paperwork for the work permit to a government authority.

My question is basically, has my status changed on a computer somewhere, or can I still stay in Thailand until the 90 days of my non-B is up?

Thank you!

TT

• Nothing has changed until stamped in your passport. Your current 90 day permit to stay from the Non 'B' entry is still valid, and you can stay until it's up.
  • The school cannot make you leave the country.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

A 1-year WP costs you 3,000B (plus 100B as handling fee),

which your school is supposed to pay for you. You can also 

get a 3-month WP for 750B for example. 5,000B only for a

WP is way too much. It will come to 5,000B if you get both

a 1-year WP for 3,100B and a 1-year visa extension for

1,900B, though.

Edited by Took
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Took said:

A 1-year WP costs you 3,000B (plus 100B as handling fee),

which your school is supposed to pay for you. You can also 

get a 3-month WP for 750B for example. 5,000B only for a

WP is way too much. It will come to 5,000B if you get both

a 1-year WP for 3,100B and a 1-year visa extension for

1,900B, though.

Please show me where it says the school is "supposed" to pay for your work permit?

Each establishment is different, some pay all, some half and some nothing at all.

His first extension would be for 9 months, not 1 year.(Assuming the normal 1 year contract).

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Ok great thanks! That was the security I wanted to hear. Yes you're right: I won't be seeing that 5000 baht, but trust me, it's the better of several options.

Now is there anything else that schools ever do legal-wise? I mean do they ever get so angry that you've quit that they file legal challenges or do anything in the courts? As an interesting sidenote I have heard that there are scallywags and ne'er do wells that will begin work before the work permit is issued, thereby implicating schools in not-so-legal activities. I would think that if such action occurred, the schools would be extremely hesitant to pursue legal options as it would be an admission of guilt. Just a side note.

Or has anyone heard of more violent reactions???

TT

12 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Please show me where it says the school is "supposed" to pay for your work permit?

Each establishment is different, some pay all, some half and some nothing at all.

His first extension would be for 9 months, not 1 year.(Assuming the normal 1 year contract).

I'm lucky my school paid for my WP.

The visa extension costs you 1,900B if it's for a week, 9 months or a year.

9 hours ago, TravelTeach said:

Hi guys,

Ok great thanks! That was the security I wanted to hear. Yes you're right: I won't be seeing that 5000 baht, but trust me, it's the better of several options.

Now is there anything else that schools ever do legal-wise? I mean do they ever get so angry that you've quit that they file legal challenges or do anything in the courts? As an interesting sidenote I have heard that there are scallywags and ne'er do wells that will begin work before the work permit is issued, thereby implicating schools in not-so-legal activities. I would think that if such action occurred, the schools would be extremely hesitant to pursue legal options as it would be an admission of guilt. Just a side note.

Or has anyone heard of more violent reactions???

TT

It's bluff and bluster from the schools. Many  try to intimidate you with all the threats etc.

Walk away and forget it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Sometimes that is the best to do... a bit of a pistol... but in the end  better.  

Move on...

A good few years ago I worked for a Thai company as an instructor, can't really remember the title on the WP, not as an english teacher but based on my work. The day we went to the Labour office to get my WP the lady in the office handed it to me. I put it my pocket and said thanks.

For the next few months the company came up with all sorts of strange reasons why I should hand it to them. One was, we haven't endorsed it whatever that was supposed to mean. At the end of the year I handed it back and they told me they needed to cancel my multi O which was based on being on being married.

I just said ok and left. Still here many years and WP's later.

• Like 1

...anyway, I trust you get this sorted out and move on.   Even when I resigned, with letters to the dude who hired me and to the personnel, I turned my WP into personnel,  I was 2 weeks short of finishing the contract.  They pulled the "we reserve the right to hold all accrued benefits, BS".  Code for salary, so be it.  Nonetheless,  I had to go out and come back on an on arrival visa and process for the non-B...dependant visa.

....as for the BS with salary, we shall see how it plays out.  Yes, personnel department will and can mess with you.  Moving on.

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

...anyway, I trust you get this sorted out and move on.   Even when I resigned, with letters to the dude who hired me and to the personnel, I turned my WP into personnel,  I was 2 weeks short of finishing the contract.  They pulled the "we reserve the right to hold all accrued benefits, BS".  Code for salary, so be it.  Nonetheless,  I had to go out and come back on an on arrival visa and process for the non-B...dependant visa.

....as for the BS with salary, we shall see how it plays out.  Yes, personnel department will and can mess with you.  Moving on.

You came back in on a visa exempt entry, your nationality is not eligible for visa on arrival.

Non-B dependant visa - no such thing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Took said:

Would you feel sorry about your students if you left school in the middle of

the term?

Have they found your replacement yet?

Don't put that on the teachers. Direct it at the schools that treat teachers badly, teachers who for the vast majority do really want to help the students.

Promises not kept, yes we will get you a work permit when they have no intention of doing so etc etc.

We promise you 30 hours a week, oh, sorry, now you have started we can only get you 15 hours and we can only pay half the rate we promised you.

Oh, so sorry you have been caught teaching without a work permit, so sorry that's not our fault.

Next please !!

I don't feel too bad about leaving. I don't think that missing a teacher for 2 weeks or so while another is found is going to affect anyone's life. I do feel bad about leaving some really cool kids I met.

But what to do? There's a point when it's just too much. There's a point when the schools just push and push and break promises and break promises and you have to decide what's best for everyone. The place I was working at had 4 other people quit in the first term, and hopefully the parents are starting to scratch their chins and say, "Can it all be medical emergencies back home?"

Because it's not like I can go to a union rep or a government office and start a fair and transparent arbitration, can I?

Yeah, and about that "next please" comment. The school didn't even care when I said I wasn't showing up. From what I've heard from the rest of the teachers it was more of an annoyance of finding someone over a weekend. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, TravelTeach said:

I don't feel too bad about leaving. I don't think that missing a teacher for 2 weeks or so while another is found is going to affect anyone's life. I do feel bad about leaving some really cool kids I met.

But what to do? There's a point when it's just too much. There's a point when the schools just push and push and break promises and break promises and you have to decide what's best for everyone. The place I was working at had 4 other people quit in the first term, and hopefully the parents are starting to scratch their chins and say, "Can it all be medical emergencies back home?"

Because it's not like I can go to a union rep or a government office and start a fair and transparent arbitration, can I?

Yeah, and about that "next please" comment. The school didn't even care when I said I wasn't showing up. From what I've heard from the rest of the teachers it was more of an annoyance of finding someone over a weekend. Thanks.

Actually, if you had a valid complaint, the Department of Labour is very pro-employee.

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

Actually, if you had a valid complaint, the Department of Labour is very pro-employee.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but generally you have to complete the probation period before they will get involved.

Happy to be proved wrong..

19 hours ago, overherebc said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but generally you have to complete the probation period before they will get involved.

Happy to be proved wrong..

Probation period or not, if you have a valid complaint, they will take your case. If however it is something that is not contractually or legally covered, then you would have a much harder fight on your hands.

A good few years ago I worked for a Thai company as an instructor, can't really remember the title on the WP, not as an english teacher but based on my work. The day we went to the Labour office to get my WP the lady in the office handed it to me. I put it my pocket and said thanks.
For the next few months the company came up with all sorts of strange reasons why I should hand it to them. One was, we haven't endorsed it whatever that was supposed to mean. At the end of the year I handed it back and they told me they needed to cancel my multi O which was based on being on being married.
I just said ok and left. Still here many years and WP's later.

Totally agree.

I used to fight every battle and lose the war.

Now, in this culture, I ignore most of the battles and win the majority of the time.

It's the Thai way. If you don't agree with it. Ignore it. It works, especially in non-business institutions.

Case in point:
At the university level, our schedule is our own as long as we show up for class and maintain a minimum of office hours for student consultation (3-5 hours a week). That's one of the main perks of working here.

One crusading administrator decided to install an electronic thumbprint system which had to be ticked before 8am and after 5pm every weekday. Threats of salary cuts for violators accompanied the announcement.

The older Thai Ajarns and a number of us longer-term foreign lecturers decided to simply ignore it.

In less than two weeks, the thing began malfunctioning and wouldn't record your entry despite multiple swipes. In frustration, one younger, hot-headed Thai Ajarn tore the entire installation off the wall with his bare hands (yelling, and in a rage) and chucked it into the nearest garbage can.

It was as if nothing had ever happened. Nothing was ever said by anyone after that, and our schedule-related benefit continues as normal, five years on.

Before you decide to fight, try ignoring first. Even works for bar fights--so I'm told.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 6:47 AM, muzmurray said:

Sure, but should be a red flag about the company.

General rule, if a schools asks you to pay your visa, I wouldn't go near them. Even having to pay 1900bht isn't great. If they think you arent worth a 4000bht outlay at the beginning, then its a sign of how you will be treated for the next 12 months.

Personal experience, but holds true.

• Like 1