Where can i buy freshly baked bread?

fruitman

15 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Are you freezing the bread or the dough?  If you are freezing the dough are you overdosing on yeast before freezing to offset the yeast die-off caused by the freezing process itself.

I bake my rolls first before freezing them.

On 3-1-2017 at 10:20 PM, daveAustin said:

Do you buy a mix or source yeast/flour? Seem to be struggling with decent flour. I really miss good bread.

I buy wholewheat flour and you can get it at tops can get yeast there too.. combine it with a breadmaker and you can make fresh wholewheat bread easy.

On 1/4/2017 at 8:28 AM, fruitman said:

The breadmachines sound good but where can i buy the real breadmix? I don't want to weigh or do much effort to bake a bread, just throw some mix plus water in a machine is what i'm willing to do, nothing more.

That's basically all you need to do. For a basic simple white loaf:

350ml lukewarm water (1.5 cups)
500g flour (half a bag)
1.5 teaspoons active yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Put them into the machine in order and turn it on.

I just put the bread machine baking tray on a set of scales and add everything, since 350ml === 350g it's pretty easy, but you could get away with half a bag of flour and 1.5 cups of water.

Personally I take the dough out of the machine before the final rise, shape it, leave it an hour, reshape a bit and slit the dough a bit then whack it in the oven for 30 mins at 200c, but this is just to get a nicer shaped loaf.

Interesting thread. I'll be living quite close to Bei Otto and St Etoille at Terminal so I'll give them both a try. When I was in Phuket the bread at Big C bakery was excellent. Baguettes and the farmhouse loaves. Here in Chiang Mai it mostly sucks. Way too dry. It doesn't toast. Just seems to scorch. Sure there's a few great bakeries but they tend to be miles out and not close to areas most people would mostly shop in. I enjoy good bread but not keen on a 30 minute bike ride for one loaf.

Posted using Tapatalk

On 5-1-2017 at 2:08 PM, rwdrwdrwd said:

That's basically all you need to do. For a basic simple white loaf:

350ml lukewarm water (1.5 cups)
500g flour (half a bag)
1.5 teaspoons active yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Put them into the machine in order and turn it on.

I just put the bread machine baking tray on a set of scales and add everything, since 350ml === 350g it's pretty easy, but you could get away with half a bag of flour and 1.5 cups of water.

Personally I take the dough out of the machine before the final rise, shape it, leave it an hour, reshape a bit and slit the dough a bit then whack it in the oven for 30 mins at 200c, but this is just to get a nicer shaped loaf.

Yes its so easy to make bread, sure you have to mix a few ingredients (volume depends on your machine size). But once you have done it 5 times or so it becomes second nature and takes around 5 minutes. 

My powerbread

250 gram whole wheat flour

250 gram milk (some use water i like milk)

15 gram olive oil

10 grams flaxseeds

2 scoops of whey protein

and some yeast

(i dont bother with salt or sugar but it depends on taste) 

Interesting thread. I'll be living quite close to Bei Otto and St Etoille at Terminal so I'll give them both a try. When I was in Phuket the bread at Big C bakery was excellent. Baguettes and the farmhouse loaves. Here in Chiang Mai it mostly sucks. Way too dry. It doesn't toast. Just seems to scorch. Sure there's a few great bakeries but they tend to be miles out and not close to areas most people would mostly shop in. I enjoy good bread but not keen on a 30 minute bike ride for one loaf.

Posted using Tapatalk

If you're staying in Chiang Mai open yoir facebook and look for Chiang Mai bread. European owner married to a Thai and they make the best bread available in CM. They have no shop so they only do home delivery but it's free.
I can promise you the bread is just amazing , I would rate it above Bei Otto, especially the rye bread.

1 hour ago, balo said:

If you're staying in Chiang Mai open yoir facebook and look for Chiang Mai bread. European owner married to a Thai and they make the best bread available in CM. They have no shop so they only do home delivery but it's free.
I can promise you the bread is just amazing , I would rate it above Bei Otto, especially the rye bread.

Cheers.  I'm moving out in a few days though so won't get chance.  Quite a few places in CM that do good bread but they're not near anywhere else.  Same with lots of things here.  Travel across town to get this.  Then back across town to get that. No quick round trip up Soi 20, into Emporium, back via Terminal then back down Soi 18.  None of it requiring a 30 minute bike ride.

5 hours ago, balo said:

In Chiang mai i've eaten very good bread, but i live in Bangkok now. I would think there sure should be demand for a real good bakery with western bread (which gets mould after 3 days).

A breadmachine sounds fun but i'm too lazy to do that every day. In Thailand you have to do everything yourself if you want high quality so i have no time for baking bread. I want to grab it from the freezer, even cutting cheese is too much effort but sliced cheese is extreme expensive in BKK as well.

I 'll try Otto, it sounds good so far. Also bread from Breadtalk is nice but since i've seen them selling yesterdays bread i won't go there anymore.

Also i would like to see a bakery outside of a big mall, it takes too much time to go buy some bread quickly.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The OP is all about buying fresh, just-out-of-the-oven bread... so he can freeze it.

Yes i freeze it which works great for fresh bread. And after defrosting it still can be kept for a few days if needed, better not try that with 3-4 days old bread from the bakeries.

25 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Yes i freeze it which works great for fresh bread. And after defrosting it still can be kept for a few days if needed, better not try that with 3-4 days old bread from the bakeries.

Fair enough. I worked offshore and all fresh bread taken onboard was frozen to last until resupply. I can't stand the taste and texture of thawed bread and one of the things bought and enjoyed shortly after getting back onshore was indeed fresh baked bread.

Good luck on your search. Maybe the best chance of getting fresh stock at any time of day would be a bakery such as Yamazaki or Breadtalk that is in a high-traffic/volume mall versus their outlets in quieter locations?

Pattaya bread lovers are a bit spoiled for choice with at least half a dozen bakeries supplying the expat community as well as the hospitality industry with fresh stuff pretty much throughout the day. My local favourite clears their shelves just before closing at 5 PM and there's all sorts of giveaways of loaves and buns to late bread shoppers as they do not retain any stock for the following morning. When they open at 7 AM, the shelves are all stocked with fresh baked stuff.

I useta get fresh arabic bread still warm from the supermarket in saudi then freeze it and then later remove from the freezer piece by piece as needed during the week...left on the counter at room temp it would be just as nice as when I bought it in about 15min...looks like this method only works with absolutely fresh bread (still warm) however...with hours old bread it would be a bit skunky after defrosting...

You guys in Pattaya are very lucky, in the malls in BKK the bakeries open at 11 am and still have to start baking.

This weekend i was lucky, in yamazaki they brought in fresh apple danish/croissants still warm...bought some but they were mostly air unfortunately. Well i should be happy though but they are nothing compared to those in Europe.

Boy do i miss fresh warm baked wholewheat bread with full fat diary butter and a thick piece of real aged cheese on it.

7 hours ago, blackcab said:

Give them a call. Their English numbers are 0927809610 or 0831115557. I'm sure they will tell you their baking times and which location is convenient to you.

Let us know how you get on.

Alright i will try that one with the farang baker.

But i'm not so impressed by french names, went to le baguette in Pattaya and they didn't have any bread (baguette is a french loaf) so i bought some pie...it wasn't bad but also not supergood...and for the price they charged i expected european quality.

Archived