Israeli PM denies corruption charges

webfact

Israeli PM denies corruption charges

606x341_353932.jpg

JERUSALEM: -- Once again, Israeli justice is questioning political figures in corruption scandals, this time the finger pointing at Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Last night Netanyahu was questioned in a preliminary criminal investigation by the anti-fraud unit of the Israeli police.

Among the allegations against the Prime Minister are two charges of corruption, accusing him of having received illegal gifts from foreign and Israeli businessmen, valued at several tens of thousands of dollars.

Netanyahu rejects the accusations.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu: “I’ve said it before and I’ll say it once again: there will be nothing because there is nothing. You will continue to release hot air balloons into the air and we will continue leading the state of Israel.”

Last July Netanyahu was linked to French tycoon Arnaud Mimran, currently serving eight years in prison for a fraud charge. Mimran claimed he donated $200,000 to the 2009 election campaign. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu admits to accepting $40,000 from Mimran, but in 2001.

In November, Israel’s Attorney General ordered an investigation into Netanyahu’s role in the purchase of three German submarines by the Ministry of Defense.

Since then Israeli TV revealed the conflict that David Shimron, Netanyahu’s personal lawyer, was on the board of a subsidiary of German automaker ThyssenKrupp.

And last May, Sara Netanyahu, the wife of the Prime Minister, was the subject of legal proceedings, suspected of having spent taxpayers’ money on garden furniture.

Netanyahu’s predecessor, Ehud Olmert, started serving an 18-month prison sentence in February 2016 after receiving bribes when he was mayor of Jerusalem between 1993 and 2003.

Former Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was questioned while in office in 2003 and 2004 over allegations of bribery and corruption involving himself and his two sons.

His son Omri was sentenced to nine months in prison for illegal financing of the Likud party in 2006.

Corruption convictions:

Several ministers have already been condemned for corruption cases.

Arye Deri, the Minister of Interior, served three years in prison.

Avraham Hirshson, a former finance minister, was sentenced to over five years in 2009.

Shlomo Benizri, former Minister of Labour, spent four years behind bars.

Some in Israel, even those once close to Netanyahu, are eager to oust the Prime Minister from power.

Israeli law states that any member of a government against which there is an indictment for corruption must resign.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-04

It is admirable that the Israeli authorities are, once again, willing to show their independence from politics and investigate allegations of misdeeds no matter who is the alleged wrongdoer. Or is this a 'house of cards' type plot to get rid of him?

I hope those going after Bibi on corruption charges can provide some tips to U.S. investigators when they go after trump on corruption charges. Still, I would be surprised if this will lead to Bibi's political downfall. I guess we'll see. 

40 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

It is admirable that the Israeli authorities are, once again, willing to show their independence from politics and investigate allegations of misdeeds no matter who is the alleged wrongdoer. Or is this a 'house of cards' type plot to get rid of him?

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I hope those going after Bibi on corruption charges can provide some tips to U.S. investigators when they go after trump on corruption charges. Still, I would be surprised if this will lead to Bibi's political downfall. I guess we'll see. 

The "admirable" part depends on how one looks at it. These allegations and others aren't new (and the current one is, supposedly, a minor one compared to the next in line), and yet, somehow, Netanyahu managed to avoid or dodge all consequences (not so when it comes to people around him). This was, in part, achieved by placing his people in relevant key position - for example, the current Chief of Police and Attorney General. If anything, the did their best not to investigate, press charges or take any legal action. It's just that things keep piling up, and there's a several rather relentless reporters doing their jobs. For example:

Raviv Drucker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raviv_Drucker

Raviv Drucker: the Israeli journalist incurring the wrath of Netanyahu

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/01/raviv-drucker-the-israeli-journalist-incurring-the-wrath-of-netanyahu

Netanyahu and his political cronies are always claiming these investigations are politically motivated, yet when similar actions were taken against a previous Prime Minister (Olmert), Netanyahu was at the forefront of those pushing things forward.

So no, as far as law enforcement nothing much to be learned when it comes to Trump, and too early to celebrate Netanyahu's political demise. After all, he's been there, done that.

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for that.

I'm not surprised that Bibi's political career probably isn't really threatened by this. 

I didn't say it isn't threatened. Netanyahu certainly sees it as a threat, considering the efforts invested in damage control and dodging the investigation. If there will be enough evidence to indict him, things would get complicated from his point of view, and the dam possibly breached with regard to other cases.

Apparently there are two separate investigations that are going on: one for corruption, and another one that the police is not saying one word about, but rumor has it that it could potentially be very damaging for Netanyahu. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but I for one wouldn't shed a tear if it turns out he's guilty and has to go to jail.

8 hours ago, Thorgal said:

In a normal judicial system it's the court who decides if a person is guilty or not.

Not surprisingly in this case it's the defendant, who is also a lawmaker or legislator pronounced his innocence before the court pronunciation...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The usual stuff we have come to expect from you.   Most defendants proclaim their innocence.   Nothing new with that.   

The usual stuff we have come to expect from you.   Most defendants proclaim their innocence.   Nothing new with that.   

And most defendants are not Prime ministers...

Legislative, executive and judicial powers of any government should be separated.

That's a basic requirement for any democracy.

A Prime minister should not proclaim his own innocence in public. He should only comment that justice will be made.

That's the usual protocol for any political democrat...nothing to do with myself.

13 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

More trolling and deflections.   Most people are not Prime Ministers, but Presidents, Prime Ministers and the various monikers hanging on leaders throughout the world have been accused of corruption and they routinely deny it.   Perhaps once you are done obsessing about Israel, you could take a look at a few of the elected African leaders.   

8 hours ago, Thorgal said:

Legislative, executive and judicial powers of any government should be separated.

That's a basic requirement for any democracy.

A Prime minister should not proclaim his own innocence in public. He should only comment that justice will be made.

That's the usual protocol for any political democrat...nothing to do with myself.

You just drip hatred from every pore and orifice don't you?

The man is accused and it is to be expected he would deny  the accusations. Do you actually expect him to say. "Oh yes, I am guilty" Or, to not say anything?  When Berlusconi was accused of wrong doing, he started  his circus didn't he? Former PM Mulroney of Canada was accused of taking bribes on an Airbus  sale from German  crook Karl Schreiber. He   gave a dramatic performance worthy of a BAFTA. Former President Clinton  spent  2 years making denials on his sex scandals and on White Water.  Tony Blair   denied his wrong doing. Former French President Mitterand  gave his famous  dismissive   grunts and statements. The Korean President just spent a year protesting her innocence in a massive corruption scandal.

Why then do you demand that an Israeli PM  remain silent?  Know what? I'd say it's because you so positively hate the man and anything Israeli and jewish that you have to find something to pick at.Know what else? At least they Israelis  go after alleged crooks. No one next door in Gaza or the PA has ever acted on the billions stolen by the  Palestinian leaders. Go figger.

40 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

I also see he's backing a pardon for that murderous Israeli soldier. Everything he says and does is iffy.

He's an MP acting on the request of constituents.  He has NO authority to pardon anyone. His position is political as he needs the Israeli ethnic Arab vote. And yes the accused is a jewish arab, and they are one of the PM's  biggest voting bloc of support. The judge in the trial was rather decisive and an attempt to push through a pardon would cause a political outburst in the country. The military court is not to be trifled with.  The verdict is also a nice distraction from the corruption charges. I expect nothing less from him.