What's a good dog for Bangkok

KDee

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I had a wife stolen - best thing that ever happened to me... 

Some guys have all the luck. After each one left I swore the next time it would be for money. Never happened. 

Edited by elgordo38

23 minutes ago, Mooner said:

Little dogs like shitzus or pomeranians are fine for indoors but small dogs love to bark and have Napolean syndrome.

I thought the same until I owned two Shih Tzu.  Before I was of the opinion that they're "not real dogs" but after having 2 for the past 3 years I have found them to be the most affectionate, loyal dogs and fun dogs I have ever had.  Mine are not yappy and don't have a Napolean syndrome at all.  It must come down to the owner/s and how you treat/train your dogs.  Very loving and a dream to look after.

Korean Chindo, they sell them in Chattuchak, smart animals, short hair, very aware of their surroundings, loyal easy maintenance.............do well in city life, other dogs will not come around this one, they project a menacing stance that tells strays to 'stay away'   A Thai friend of mine has on on the 45th floor of a Thai Bldg condominium...........

17 hours ago, BlindMagician said:

Just what Bangkok needs, another dog.

Just what a dog needs, trapped in a concrete box with no space to run.

Hard to answer calmly when I have just been woken up again by one of my neighbour's 3 uncontrolled dogs.

Have another kid.

7 hours ago, avander said:

I thought the same until I owned two Shih Tzu.  Before I was of the opinion that they're "not real dogs" but after having 2 for the past 3 years I have found them to be the most affectionate, loyal dogs and fun dogs I have ever had.  Mine are not yappy and don't have a Napolean syndrome at all.  It must come down to the owner/s and how you treat/train your dogs.  Very loving and a dream to look after.

My Shitzu is a rescue and was 7 years old when i got her so behaviour was ingrained.

I have 3 dogs and irrrelevant of training dogs are territorial and when someone or something is close to the house they bark. Im glad they do as they ward of intruders. 

So dogs in a shop situation wouldnt be ideal especially if you have more than one.

The question is posed wrongly.  It should be What is the right dog for you?

There are dogs for all lifestyles, or almost all, because there are some people who should never have a dog.

Decide what you expect of a dog (partly covered by OP), and more important, what you are prepared to do for your dog.

Most Thais should never have a dog as they go out to work for 12 hours and leave 2-6 of them outside their houses barking all day. If you complain they are mortified and are likely never to speak to you again and come up with, well all dogs bark, or what about all the other dogs. Lots of moo banns are like living on a dog farm, if you live in a condo where they are 'banned' people still have them.

2 hours ago, Mooner said:

My Shitzu is a rescue and was 7 years old when i got her so behaviour was ingrained.

I have 3 dogs and irrrelevant of training dogs are territorial and when someone or something is close to the house they bark. Im glad they do as they ward of intruders. 

So dogs in a shop situation wouldnt be ideal especially if you have more than one.

Our dogs are good watchdogs during the "off " hours and will bark at anything unusual but they are fine in the shop.  I've had dogs all my life and to me it's just a matter of training but personality does come into it.  The only problem we have is one of our dogs loves everyone while the other is a little more timid. The more friendly of the two tends to fuss over our customers but they have both been taught to back off if necessary.  in that case they retreat to the back of the shop after a short hello.  

Sure they're territorial but they can be taught.

I vote for a pug if you have ac they are heat sensitive DONT bark much  Funney friendly a great little dog in a small package mine lived for 16 years and I still miss little nit noy rip little guy yup that was his name nit noy

1 hour ago, Tug said:

I vote for a pug if you have ac they are heat sensitive DONT bark much  Funney friendly a great little dog in a small package mine lived for 16 years and I still miss little nit noy rip little guy yup that was his name nit noy

the wife's sister's inlaws has a pug kept in a pet shop,he seems very happy,he's well looked after and never venture's past the shop counter,BUT HE HAS COMPANY 24/7.

i feel for you TUG.

Ha! Been away from ThaiVisa for so long my account and history was gone, probably a good thing... good to see the experts are all hard at work :-) 

There really isn't a "dog" that all have the same specific needs. Dogs are highly breed animals, each breed for specific physical and behavioral characteristics. There are some things all dogs need to a greater or lesser extent, but they aren't all the same. 

When I was young and worked on a ranch, we had Australian Blue Heelers and Border Collies. These dogs are breed to be working dogs with live stock. They are super active, and even though our dogs weren't trained, they instinctually are heading the chickens, goats, horses, people - they are always working their herd. In the morning they would love to run after the pickup loaded with hay about a mile to the other end of the ranch to feed the houses, and once there they would start running around herding & rounding the horses to their sense of satisfaction. 

If you take a French Bulldog to the ranch he's is not interested in chasing a truck for a mile, might kill the poor thing. He's not interested in messing with the farm animals, or sleeping outside on the porch or in the barn in all types of weather either. And likewise as much as I love the Heelers and Collies, I would never consider them for a Bangkok apartment dog. They're farm/ranch dogs. 

My Golden Retriever, would swim out to get a ball in a lake for as long and as many time as I had the patience to throw it. Because he was breed to go swim out and retrieve things. He doesn't "like" to do it in the sense he woke up one day and decided that swimming would be good exercise, he just does it because that's his DNA. I suspect if you take your Pug or Pekingese to the rivers edge and throw a ball out in the water, all you're going to get is "you must be kidding" look from the dog. 

I was asking about breeds that because of their breeding are happy and healthy with an apartment lifestyle. Not that they don't need some exercise, but they don't need a lot. They do need social interaction with their pack - people, other dogs, a cat in a pinch. I wouldn't have a dog unless I was sure we had enough time to meet the dog's social needs. Some very good suggestions in this thread about "apartment breeds".

One bit of experience or observation is that dogs are all territorial, and even if the bulldog (which I've had before) isn't that interested in exercise, the walk down their familiar street, where they can smell and mark all the same places, bark at the same dog behind the gate, every day, every time, gives a dog a sort of satisfaction with their world. They love routine and patrolling their territory. Going outside and checking things out does seem to be a healthy thing for a dog. And for the lapdog after they check-out the soi, back to their house, with their pack, for some quality time on the sofa.

So thanks for the links and suggestions on good Bangkok dogs. We're leaning towards a French Bulldog but there were some good suggestions in the discussion we'll check out first. And yes, good points on the commitment, as noted I've had dogs before and know their needs, and our time and resources to provide a good home. My Golden Retriever was put down because of a terminal health problem, he died with his head in my lap - I know how much you can love a dog, and how you can miss them when they are gone. They are a lot of work, a lot of poop to clean up, a long commitment - and wonderful companions when you get the right one. 

Again - thanks for the good suggestions!!! 

12 minutes ago, KDee said:

Ha! Been away from ThaiVisa for so long my account and history was gone, probably a good thing... good to see the experts are all hard at work :-) 

There really isn't a "dog" that all have the same specific needs. Dogs are highly breed animals, each breed for specific physical and behavioral characteristics. There are some things all dogs need to a greater or lesser extent, but they aren't all the same. 

When I was young and worked on a ranch, we had Australian Blue Heelers and Border Collies. These dogs are breed to be working dogs with live stock. They are super active, and even though our dogs weren't trained, they instinctually are heading the chickens, goats, horses, people - they are always working their herd. In the morning they would love to run after the pickup loaded with hay about a mile to the other end of the ranch to feed the houses, and once there they would start running around herding & rounding the horses to their sense of satisfaction. 

If you take a French Bulldog to the ranch he's is not interested in chasing a truck for a mile, might kill the poor thing. He's not interested in messing with the farm animals, or sleeping outside on the porch or in the barn in all types of weather either. And likewise as much as I love the Heelers and Collies, I would never consider them for a Bangkok apartment dog. They're farm/ranch dogs. 

My Golden Retriever, would swim out to get a ball in a lake for as long and as many time as I had the patience to throw it. Because he was breed to go swim out and retrieve things. He doesn't "like" to do it in the sense he woke up one day and decided that swimming would be good exercise, he just does it because that's his DNA. I suspect if you take your Pug or Pekingese to the rivers edge and throw a ball out in the water, all you're going to get is "you must be kidding" look from the dog. 

I was asking about breeds that because of their breeding are happy and healthy with an apartment lifestyle. Not that they don't need some exercise, but they don't need a lot. They do need social interaction with their pack - people, other dogs, a cat in a pinch. I wouldn't have a dog unless I was sure we had enough time to meet the dog's social needs. Some very good suggestions in this thread about "apartment breeds".

One bit of experience or observation is that dogs are all territorial, and even if the bulldog (which I've had before) isn't that interested in exercise, the walk down their familiar street, where they can smell and mark all the same places, bark at the same dog behind the gate, every day, every time, gives a dog a sort of satisfaction with their world. They love routine and patrolling their territory. Going outside and checking things out does seem to be a healthy thing for a dog. And for the lapdog after they check-out the soi, back to their house, with their pack, for some quality time on the sofa.

So thanks for the links and suggestions on good Bangkok dogs. We're leaning towards a French Bulldog but there were some good suggestions in the discussion we'll check out first. And yes, good points on the commitment, as noted I've had dogs before and know their needs, and our time and resources to provide a good home. My Golden Retriever was put down because of a terminal health problem, he died with his head in my lap - I know how much you can love a dog, and how you can miss them when they are gone. They are a lot of work, a lot of poop to clean up, a long commitment - and wonderful companions when you get the right one. 

Again - thanks for the good suggestions!!! 

after agree with all you say,seems you have had the perfect life with the owning of dogs,the joy,the love,the loyalty and more.

BUT THIS IS BANGKOK.

3 hours ago, isanbirder said:

The question is posed wrongly.  It should be What is the right dog for you?

There are dogs for all lifestyles, or almost all, because there are some people who should never have a dog.

Decide what you expect of a dog (partly covered by OP), and more important, what you are prepared to do for your dog.

Take a photo and tour some of the dog pounds if there are any here. I just love the master dog photo's that show similarities. If the looks are similar the personalities might be as well. Saves you time looking in the mirror as well. 

20 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

A greyhound indoors?

Italian greyhounds are a small breed, reaching 3.6 – 5 kg.  That said, some sources suggest that regular greyhounds are also good indoors.

Italian greyhounds are a small breed, reaching 3.6 – 5 kg.  That said, some sources suggest that regular greyhounds are also good indoors.

I know but isn't that like keeping a race horse in the back yard. They are both bred and built for speed.

I know a lady OS Who has 3 IG and they are lovely dogs

20 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I don't know looking back over life owning a dog seems like a phase similar to marriage. As I recall I did drift in and out of the dog phase about 3 or 4 times just like marriage (3) Looking back maybe dogs are a better choice. I remember 1 really great dog but somebody stole him off of my front porch. Never happened with any of my wives though. Pity. 

brilliant...

20 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I don't know looking back over life owning a dog seems like a phase similar to marriage. As I recall I did drift in and out of the dog phase about 3 or 4 times just like marriage (3) Looking back maybe dogs are a better choice. I remember 1 really great dog but somebody stole him off of my front porch. Never happened with any of my wives though. Pity. 

brilliant...

3 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

brilliant...

One has to look back and laugh the alternative is cry me a river as the song goes. At my advanced age I am reaching perfection. I have made all or most of the mistakes in life so what else can go wrong. 

21 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

WOW read most of the posts gave this one one like deserves 2. Yes the dog mindset is important. 

I think this is a dual purpose toy or animal surrogate. It is a vacuum cleaner on the bottom. When it is full it barks. 

I guess you have never watched "Dr Who" as you don't recognise one of the stars.

13 hours ago, avander said:

Our dogs are good watchdogs during the "off " hours and will bark at anything unusual but they are fine in the shop.  I've had dogs all my life and to me it's just a matter of training but personality does come into it.  The only problem we have is one of our dogs loves everyone while the other is a little more timid. The more friendly of the two tends to fuss over our customers but they have both been taught to back off if necessary.  in that case they retreat to the back of the shop after a short hello.  

Sure they're territorial but they can be taught.

I think i may not of explained myself enough. My dogs are not barking at people.

Its only when they are inside and they here noises outside and they run outside barking ( wagging thier tails so they arent threatining). Not sure anyone can be scared of a shitzu and a spitz/pom.

My Thai dog on the other hand has a frightening bark but she is very good natured and loving.

Im quite happy for them to bark in situations as they let me know when people are around and obviously ward off potential threats.

I still stand by my statement that small dogs are more noisy than bigger dogs.

I grew up on german shephards and labradors but i have fell in love with small dogs too. They seem more affectionate and have great personalities especially around kids and strangers.

36 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

Nothing at ALL......Keep Jabbin....

Somedays they get almost to tied to raise a cup of coffee. I like the jabbin part it is so true of life. Dodge and weave jab the openings. Well I better quit jabbering its time to eat breakfast and see what has befallen the world today.