Yamaha XSR 900 vs Ducati Scrambler

ljd1308

Scrambler vs XSR  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Ducati Scrambler
    • Yamaha XSR 900

This poll is closed to new votes

I am a bit stuck, for the last 6 months I was planning to get a Ducati Scrambler in January, but I have now seen the XSR900 and am torn.

Any help from owners of either would be great....or just anyone with an option as I cannot decide:

Ducati Scrambler Icon - 374000 baht

803cc(from the Monster 796) 75hp

Yamaha XSR900 - 429000 Baht

853cc(from the Mt09) 115hp

I will be using the bike for a bit of everything, riding around town, weekend getaways and longer week or 2 week trips. But speed and power is not overly important, I am not looking to go fast(sometimes maybe)

I like the look of both bikes, but prefer the Ducati.

The XSR technically is a much better bike, more power(but maybe too sporty for what I am looking for), better electronics and seem ready out of the box, it is also water cooled which will no doubt help here. Being a Yamaha it will no doubt be more reliable than the Ducati(though not too many complaints about them).

The Ducati is a less powerful(but maybe better suited for my riding) engine, basic electonics and will need to have a few upgrades when buying(though being cheaper it will still be less). The Ducati is closer to the relaxed riding style I want and I have wanted it for longer.

It basically comes down a head(XSR) vs Heart(Scrambler) question.

Anyone with any comments? Am I wrong in my assessments of either bike?

• Like 1

I haven't tried either but below tester find the XSR900 should have the 700cc engine instead as the 900 screams to go fast but you will blow off.

That 900Yam is more a competitor to the 821Monster.

Have you considered one of the Triumph Twins? Can be had in 900 & 1200cc water cooled,ABS, traction control. Lovely bikes man, I want one badly.

I might get one at some stage, all of them looks pretty awesome to me: Street Twin, T100, T120, Street Cup and the new Bobber that looks totally awesome but is not very practical with solo seat only and tiny +9 lit tank but all reviewers are raving about it.   

http://www.cycleworld.com/yamaha-xsr900-is-great-but-it-isnt-bike-you-want#page-5

Edited by guzzi850m2
grammer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I haven't tried either but below tester find the XSR900 should have the 700cc engine instead as the 900 screams to go fast but you will blow off.

That 900Yam is more a competitor to the 821Monster.

Have you considered one of the Triumph Twins? Can be had in 900 & 1200cc water cooled,ABS, traction control. Lovely bikes man, I want one badly.

I might get one at some stage, all of them looks pretty awesome to me: Street Twin, T100, T120, Street Cup and the new Bobber that looks totally awesome but is not very practical with solo seat only and tiny +9 lit tank but all reviewers are raving about it.   

They do have an XSR700, but that is only on sale in Europe.

That is my fear, too much engine for what I need/want. Though one of the modes is seemingly quite tame. I have ridden the Scrambler extensively and liked that, but haven't ridden the XSR(none for test ride). I know I am getting old when I think a bike will have too much power.

Regarding the Triumphs, 3 things:

1 - I don't think there is a dealer in Pattaya, they used to be at Watchara but they no longer have them.

2 - Every comparison review I have looked at has them come out a distant third. One comparison had the order of: XSR700, Duc Scrambler, Guzzi V7, Triumph Bonny

3 - The style just doesn't appeal to me as much(weirdly)

1: No, no T dealer in Pattaya right now, but there will be, either this or next year, I heard from different sources. I am also in Pattaya.

2: Well did you check the new models? The T-120 got 80hp, so it can move if pushed, T-100 is app 54 but can be easily twiked to just under 60hp, I saw in Triumph.rat net forum.

3: I saw you last comment, yes they are really beautiful bikes for sure.

I also given up getting anything above 100hp, I know I will just ride faster (sometimes) and it's not worth it, too dangerous here in LOS.

3 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

1: No, no T dealer in Pattaya right now, but there will be, either this or next year, I heard from different sources. I am also in Pattaya.

2: Well did you check the new models? The T-120 got 80hp, so it can move if pushed, T-100 is app 54 but can be easily twiked to just under 60hp, I saw in Triumph.rat net forum.

3: I saw you last comment, yes they are really beautiful bikes for sure.

I also given up getting anything above 100hp, I know I will just ride faster (sometimes) and it's not worth it, too dangerous here in LOS.

So based on you not wanting more than 100hp, does that mean your vote is for the Scrambler?

8 hours ago, ljd1308 said:

So based on you not wanting more than 100hp, does that mean your vote is for the Scrambler?

Yes and no.

You owned the Scrambler before and you liked it, so do you want to play it safe and get one again or do you fell for something new?

Of the 2 bikes you mention, I am personally not so interested in either, the Scrambler is too small for me.

I will likely get a Triumph as next bike and sell my Versys 650mk3 later this year or no later than 2018, well that's my plans for now, they might change, he-he. 

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes and no.

You owned the Scrambler before and you liked it, so do you want to play it safe and get one again or do you fell for something new?

Of the 2 bikes you mention, I am personally not so interested in either, the Scrambler is too small for me.

I will likely get a Triumph as next bike and sell my Versys 650mk3 later this year or no later than 2018, well that's my plans for now, they might change, he-he. 

I am 185 and was relatively comfortable on te Scrambler.

I like the Versys, have done a bit of touring on one. But I didn't like it when not touring

As a Ducati Scrambler owner with roughly 22000km on the odo I can at least tell you that reliability (and crucially service) in my experience (I have a long story) isn't anywhere near Japanese bikes. Especially the oil filter which leaked now 3 times already... guess where my avatar comes from :)

For around town it's a great bike apart from the crappy fueling and getting insanely hot unless you go for the race Termi or equivalent which lowers temps a lot but still damn hot. I don't know if that would get you into trouble with the BIB in Pattaya. The crappy fueling might be solvable with a Rexxer ECU flash, I haven't tried it yet. It's not a huge issue but is annoying in the long term. For longer trips: unless you upgrade forks, rear shock and the seat, I'd say no way would I ride this for longer than 2-3h. The suspension is very jarring and the seat could be a plank as well. You'll probably have to put around 100k THB into the bike to make it proper, consider that when comparing purchase prices.

It looks great, sounds great and handles great at city speeds. Ducati always plays the emotional card. I haven't riddent the MT-09 or XSR900 so unfortunately can't give you a direct comparison but I'd bet the reliability will be better, it will have a lot more punch (but like you said that's not a big criterion) and I'd also assume it would carry luggage a bit better, being taller. I think the XSR doesn't look nearly as good as the Scrambler. I'm on the verge of upgrading from the Scrambler. I know two other Scrambler owners in Phuket who sold their bikes, one has switched to a Triumph Street Twin because of the riding characteristics (better fueling, throttle response). I hate the Scrambler. But oh, do I love it too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

As a Ducati Scrambler owner with roughly 22000km on the odo I can at least tell you that reliability (and crucially service) in my experience (I have a long story) isn't anywhere near Japanese bikes. Especially the oil filter which leaked now 3 times already... guess where my avatar comes from :)

For around town it's a great bike apart from the crappy fueling and getting insanely hot unless you go for the race Termi or equivalent which lowers temps a lot but still damn hot. I don't know if that would get you into trouble with the BIB in Pattaya. The crappy fueling might be solvable with a Rexxer ECU flash, I haven't tried it yet. It's not a huge issue but is annoying in the long term. For longer trips: unless you upgrade forks, rear shock and the seat, I'd say no way would I ride this for longer than 2-3h. The suspension is very jarring and the seat could be a plank as well. You'll probably have to put around 100k THB into the bike to make it proper, consider that when comparing purchase prices.

It looks great, sounds great and handles great at city speeds. Ducati always plays the emotional card. I haven't riddent the MT-09 or XSR900 so unfortunately can't give you a direct comparison but I'd bet the reliability will be better, it will have a lot more punch (but like you said that's not a big criterion) and I'd also assume it would carry luggage a bit better, being taller. I think the XSR doesn't look nearly as good as the Scrambler. I'm on the verge of upgrading from the Scrambler. I know two other Scrambler owners in Phuket who sold their bikes, one has switched to a Triumph Street Twin because of the riding characteristics (better fueling, throttle response). I hate the Scrambler. But oh, do I love it too.

I think I have read about your experiences before on another forum, did you have a big oil leak when driving home from the dealer? or something along those lines.

If so, from all the reading I have done there are not that many with similar experiences(I hope).

The bolded bit is spot on, that is the only reason it is even in with a shout....yet I still can't decide.

I think I will have to buy whatever the outcome of this poll is in a week or so when I out the money down, so far it is 5-0 in favour of the XSR

Yup that was me. BTW just to make it clear, my vote wouldn't go to the XSR because I think the styling is just not at the same level.  I'd buy the MT09 instead if I want the engine. The Scrambler can be made quite a nice bike if you take a bunch more cash into the hand.

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Yup that was me. BTW just to make it clear, my vote wouldn't go to the XSR because I think the styling is just not at the same level.  I'd buy the MT09 instead if I want the engine. The Scrambler can be made quite a nice bike if you take a bunch more cash into the hand.

It's about 60k cheaper, so I could always put that into it

• 6 months later...

Interesting thread for me as both these bikes are ones I have fancied buying, although I dropped the idea of the Scrambler because of all the issues I'd read about it and the fact it's put together in Thailand as well as it looking so small in the flesh. Almost toy-like. Ditto the MT-07. The MT-09 2017 model interested me, but I prefer the looks of the XSR900. Another option worth considering is the Yamaha SV650. It's available in Thailand at 289,000 THB, undecutting the MT-07 by 10,000 THB. It's a more grown-up bike than the MT-07 and Scrambler, and could even be made to look like a scrambler with some of the accessories you can buy for it. 

When I move over in late summer, it will be the SV650 or the XSR900.

What did you opt for, ljd 1303?

On 21/07/2017 at 6:41 AM, XB12X said:

Interesting thread for me as both these bikes are ones I have fancied buying, although I dropped the idea of the Scrambler because of all the issues I'd read about it and the fact it's put together in Thailand as well as it looking so small in the flesh. Almost toy-like. Ditto the MT-07. The MT-09 2017 model interested me, but I prefer the looks of the XSR900. Another option worth considering is the Yamaha SV650. It's available in Thailand at 289,000 THB, undecutting the MT-07 by 10,000 THB. It's a more grown-up bike than the MT-07 and Scrambler, and could even be made to look like a scrambler with some of the accessories you can buy for it. 

Yamaha SV650 or Suzuki?  

The problem with Suzuki in Thailand(and I love Suzuki, had 5 of them) is there is virtually no dealer network. I'm in Pattaya and there is none here.

I actually settled on the XSR, but they did not have nor could get the colour I wanted and i eventually felt the same way about you on the scrambler(too small and toy like to own, but fun to ride occasionally).

So I ended up with the new water cooled Triumph Bonneville T120, it was a bit more at 560k(the t100 is only 430k) but once I saw it... nothing else compared.

Good easy bike to ride too, i think it suits my needs perfectly. All modern and runs smoothly, but the looks.... i don't know how to attach photos, but google them if you haven't seen

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 7/21/2017 at 6:41 AM, XB12X said:

This is an old thread and since then I have bought and written off a Triumph T100 and have just got a new Yamaha FJ09.

Both great bikes, I loved the Triumph. No issues, rode beautifully and so so pretty.

I’ve had a full throttle for about 2.5 years. Wife drives it now since I got hyper motard.

Been on a few 2-3000km trips, very comfortable for her, easy to drive.

Apart from water ingress with electric start no issues at all, will be having s look at 1100 when it comes out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Keep this thread going. Anyone with an XSR900 chime in.

I absolutely love the Yamaha XSR900 in Kenny Roberts 60th Anniversary colours. I have watched a ton of stuff on YouTube and just love this bike to bits. Only in Speedblock KR Yellow though. And with a pipe on.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting watching this thread only outta the curiosity of what bikes people would say to buy though opinions were asked about 2 bike specifically......

This past weekend had a test ride booked for the Yamaha SCR950, which is available at a great price, and the dealership let me also ride the XSR900. I won't bother with comparison between the two but the XSR is a wonderful motor, gets you pumped with it's excited vibes but doesn't feel like it's going to kill you. I'm not familiar with sport bike traction control, it's on my GSA, but never knew this was part of the ride with the Yamaha. And at 5' 11" for a small bike I felt like I could comfortably spend a solid couple of hours in saddle......it was a far better bike than the SCR is all regards.

• Like 2

People looking into the two bikes that this topic is about should nowerdays probably also look at the Z900RS and possibly the new CB1000R though both are in the 500k range.

Design-wise, for me the Ducati and Kawasaki are really great looking and true to their roots. The CB1000R is generally nice looking but a few things like the blocky radiator turn me down. The Yamaha looks like an afterthought, they'll need to redo that one.

23 hours ago, eisfeld said:

People looking into the two bikes that this topic is about should nowerdays probably also look at the Z900RS and possibly the new CB1000R though both are in the 500k range.

Design-wise, for me the Ducati and Kawasaki are really great looking and true to their roots. The CB1000R is generally nice looking but a few things like the blocky radiator turn me down. The Yamaha looks like an afterthought, they'll need to redo that one.

Have a look at the BMW s1000r too

Little bit more expensive but worth every penny