Phuket as an expat

dutchie6519

I think this topic must have been discussed many times but I couldn't find it. As an expat who has to travel whole Asia I have two choices with great airports. I am still doubting to rent a house either in BKK or Phuket. Phuket is smaller, cleaner but how big is the expat community from Europe ? Traffic is horrible so I should live in the North is that correct ?

Thanks for giving some info to make the right decision

You cannot compare BKK with Phuket. Phuket is an Island with many communities scattered about the island.  Traffic can be bad, but depends where you decide to live on the island.

Have you ever been here ?  Best you come to Phuket,  book a hotel, and travel about to find the community that suits your needs. 

There is quite a large expat community here and a even larger community of people claiming to be expats, quite a few of the second type have holidays here but generally post from overseas using knowledge gained by reading and repeating genuine expats posts on forums

so don't believe all that you read on the Internet the majority of genuine expats love living in phuket and would not live anywhere else in Thailand, the ones i know anyway

Traffic is no worse than a lot of other places in thailand. its actually a lot heaver and slower in Bangkok, and i have been stuck in a traffic jam in Korat in north east Thailand which makes Phuket traffic jams seem minor by comparison

Phuket infrastructure is equal to Bangkoks in my opinion and better than most other areas popular with expats

You need your own form of transport here motor bike or vehicle or maybe both which a lot of expats have but the public transport system is not to bad to get around on, with the public buses they all leave from and return to Phuket town so travelling to different areas means you return to phuket town each time first

Accommodation will not be a problem there is a oversupply of it and you will have a choice of properties anywhere you decide to live on the island and with the oversupply some bargain rental properties are available if the check thoroughly your self and do not believe what people tell you especially renters/landlords

Most want long term tenants but just rent short term in the beginning it will cost you a bit more but give you time to decide what area you really want to live in before making a commitment   

Yes, it would be better to live above the south if you'd be doing a lot of flying. Kamala and Surin are better placed than Patong or Karon regards getting to the airport, for example, but bearing in mind they are a lot quieter. The only real traffic issues, aside from the main west coast resorts, are Phuket Town (and the intersection at Central) and Chalong (Circle area). Expats are all over. Take it you've checked flight connections of Phuket Airport with your prospective Asian centres? 

Have you considered how you will manage Thai Immigration ?  Are you aware that after 4 stamp on arrivals at airport (in one year) then you might be denied entry.  We have lost a lot of long stay guests who work offshore and ended up denied entry with their 4 on/4 off work schedule after 8 months.

Edit - I see you already asked about that last year 

Edited by LivinginKata

Just remember that Phuket first and foremost is a tourist beach destination and settle thereafter. Phuket town was for years different from the beach communities but are now flagged out to the Chi and ended up as Tivoli and shopping streets.

3 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Just remember that Phuket first and foremost is a tourist beach destination and settle thereafter. Phuket town was for years different from the beach communities but are now flagged out to the Chi and ended up as Tivoli and shopping streets.

Full of Australians isn't it?

7 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

No that's a fantasy, more from UK, USA and Europe, There is a very mixed expat community here my neighbor is chinese , you are likely to meet expats from just about any country in the world with a reasonable economy 

USA and UK were the majority of expats but that seems to be changing

Edited by madmax2

10 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I have no idea who the Western tourists are and prefer to not know but are mildly said amused that 2-3 weeks tourists on holiday choose to stay in middle of a town when there are thousands of hotels with sea view and access to tropical beaches which is mostly what's left here of tropical. But each to his own and maybe if I was younger today I would maybe set me the goal of reaching Kilmanjaro in flip flops dragging a beach sled chair and a selfie camera and expecting 4G and an Internet café on the top.

Most of the threads here, particularly the ones denigrating Phuket, are mainly looking at the place from a tourist's perspective. While some long term expats continue to seek the same experiences as these short term visitors, in the towns that cater for them, most expats on this Forum live a completely separate life.

Generally we live in quieter communities (some of us in a valley with a view!), shop in supermarkets the same as residents everywhere in Thailand, eat and drink in our favorite good value bars and restaurants and visit favoured beaches without crying tears of blood because someone took our bed away.

Often our only contact with tourists is when we have to wait for a bus laden with Chinese to complete a maneuver into a shopping outlet designed to extract their Yuan. We acknowledge that there are rip-offs with jet skis and public transport and avoid them completely by owning our own vehicles.

There are scams and crime here, as would be expected in any major tourist destination, but not on a bigger scale than any place in Thailand where large numbers of tourists congregate. Most of us who live here consider it to be one of the safest places in which we've resided.

Phuket Province  is a beautiful tropical Island with the advantage of having all facilities such as hospitals, shopping, international airport, etc., within a short drive from anywhere. Throw in the beaches, mountains and Pang Nga bay with its myriad of beautiful islands and it is unmatched anywhere in Thailand.

On 1/7/2017 at 2:32 PM, LivinginKata said:

Have you considered how you will manage Thai Immigration ?  Are you aware that after 4 stamp on arrivals at airport (in one year) then you might be denied entry.  We have lost a lot of long stay guests who work offshore and ended up denied entry with their 4 on/4 off work schedule after 8 months.

Edit - I see you already asked about that last year 

Just apply for an O-A Visa in your home Country

and extend it each year......My 7th Year getting

extensions, never an issue.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:38 PM, Old Croc said:

Most of the threads here, particularly the ones denigrating Phuket, are mainly looking at the place from a tourist's perspective. While some long term expats continue to seek the same experiences as these short term visitors, in the towns that cater for them, most expats on this Forum live a completely separate life.

Generally we live in quieter communities (some of us in a valley with a view!), shop in supermarkets the same as residents everywhere in Thailand, eat and drink in our favorite good value bars and restaurants and visit favoured beaches without crying tears of blood because someone took our bed away.

Often our only contact with tourists is when we have to wait for a bus laden with Chinese to complete a maneuver into a shopping outlet designed to extract their Yuan. We acknowledge that there are rip-offs with jet skis and public transport and avoid them completely by owning our own vehicles.

There are scams and crime here, as would be expected in any major tourist destination, but not on a bigger scale than any place in Thailand where large numbers of tourists congregate. Most of us who live here consider it to be one of the safest places in which we've resided.

Phuket Province  is a beautiful tropical Island with the advantage of having all facilities such as hospitals, shopping, international airport, etc., within a short drive from anywhere. Throw in the beaches, mountains and Pang Nga bay with its myriad of beautiful islands and it is unmatched anywhere in Thailand.

I think of not reading TV anymore as too many negative, mean spirted and wrong opinions about one way we all should live our life.  But responses like this one are the reason TV is worth reading. Wish TV had more positive accurate information and less overblown misery, complaining and people talking about how easy problems are to fix because they or their home country are so superior in their knowledge of how to fixing problems.  Thanks for your reponse Croc. 

You can find places to live on the beach here around Cape Panwa with only a dozen or so Russian or Chinese tourists around on the beach. Traffic is mostly crazy in Phuket Town around rush hour....otherwise I have no problems. Best thing about this island, you can wander off a road in the town and have jungle all around. I think besides the beaches it is our best feature. The climate is better here than most places I have been in Thailand, except for the mountains where it is cooler. If you don't like high heat stay away from the flatlands and rice fields. Your experience may vary.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, SaintLouisBlues said:

Just the reason i was gunna recommend Phuket. Europeans, look at what they have done to their country. A war zone. Stralia, a peaceful country with peaceful people. As i am of European decent, you can take my comments as un biased.

1 hour ago, sandgroper2 said:

Just the reason i was gunna recommend Phuket. Europeans, look at what they have done to their country. A war zone. Stralia, a peaceful country with peaceful people. As i am of European decent, you can take my comments as un biased.

Biggest nanny state in the world. Even my Aussie mates agree.

46 minutes ago, sandgroper2 said:

And your point is?

That your previous statement about the government "caring for you" is as relevant as the institutions that I mentioned caring for you.

I stated that Australia is the biggest nanny state in the world. They like to tell their citizens what to do.....more and more. Australia is a place that political correctness has gone mad. Ask any other Aussie......maybe a Crow-eater, Mexican, Cockroach, or banana-bender.

27 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

That your previous statement about the government "caring for you" is as relevant as the institutions that I mentioned caring for you.

I stated that Australia is the biggest nanny state in the world. They like to tell their citizens what to do.....more and more. Australia is a place that political correctness has gone mad. Ask any other Aussie......maybe a Crow-eater, Mexican, Cockroach, or banana-bender.

Mexican, Cockroach,?

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 8:09 AM, LivinginKata said:

You cannot compare BKK with Phuket. Phuket is an Island with many communities scattered about the island.  Traffic can be bad, but depends where you decide to live on the island.

Have you ever been here ?  Best you come to Phuket,  book a hotel, and travel about to find the community that suits your needs. 

Been many times in Phuket but only found tourists, is there an expat community like internations who socialize ?