Death penalty proposed for officials guilty of Bt1 bn graft

rooster59

Death penalty proposed for officials guilty of Bt1 bn graft

By KHANITTHA THEPPAJORN
THE SUNDAY NATION

6c5c6e8da19f293463860fcaef920962.jpeg

File photo: Seree Suwanpanont

A PROPOSAL to impose the death penalty on any convicted corrupt public official who incurs more than Bt1 billion in damage to the state has been tabled for tomorrow’s meeting of the National Reform Steering Assembly (NRSA).

The proposal was made by its political reform steering committee, chaired by Seree Suwanpanont, as part of their report on regulation and scrutiny of the exercise of government power. 

The NRSA will also consider a proposal for adjustment in the recruitment of independent agency commissioners.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303663

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-08

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do amounts above 1 billion receive extra death penalties?

what if you appeal, on the first count 1 billion but get found not guilty 

but get found guilty on the third billion, does the second billion not come into play?

or is all this nonsense,

The amount is too high,should be set a lot lower,and those caught

with their hands in the till,should not be given bail,so they cannot

do a runner,the only way to curb (to defeat ,never happen),is to be

a lot tougher.

regards worgeordie

This can't possibly get any more ridiculous and insulting to society. Most rapists and murderes don't even get death penalty.

The Bt1 bn threshold was probably a set average that most politician don't reach. Pathetic.

Here's the profile of Monsieur The Chairman of the steering comittee:
https://hris.parliament.go.th/ss_detail.php?ssp_id=7961&lang=en
It had to be lawyer!

It's all well and good for the NRSA's political reform steering committee to make these proposals, but it's just pissing in the wind if there is no strategy to establish proper checks and balances in the Civil Service that would/should prevent people getting to the stage where capital punishment is even considered.

Also, it will not include a certain "section" of the officials (who see themselves as above reproach) !!!

ccjail.jpg

Fine. If this Mr. Serene is so keen on people being put do death, let he be the one who carries out the sentence and get his own hands dirty. It's easy to play the hard man from the confines of a comfortable office.

Edited by baboon

11 minutes ago, baboon said:

Fine. If this Mr. Serene is so keen on people being put do death, let him be the one who carries out the sentence and get his own hands dirty. It's easy to play the hard man from the confines of a comfortable office.

You and I both know that the death penalty never happens here, its just life in imprisonment. But by going for the death penalty they are sure to get a long sentence. I am all for getting tough on corruption. its the only way to move this country forward. If politicians can't make money from being in government they won't be willing to unleash violence on their opponents and they won't be buying positions because its not worth it financially.

This way we might actually get politicians that are there more for the people then for themselves. 

14 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

What a pathetic attempt to sound legit ........

They set the amount so high no one is going to die.

:coffee1:

Once the miscreant has been chosen, I am sure the amount he has embezzled can be adjusted accordingly.

19 minutes ago, baboon said:

Once the miscreant has been chosen, I am sure the amount he has embezzled can be adjusted accordingly.

Quite possible unfortunately.. anyway they should set the amount far lower.. and of course no death penalty but something like 10 years (or more) guaranteed behind bars. 

44 minutes ago, robblok said:

Quite possible unfortunately.. anyway they should set the amount far lower.. and of course no death penalty but something like 10 years (or more) guaranteed behind bars. 

Ten years imprisonment sounds a lot more like it.

6 minutes ago, baboon said:

Ten years imprisonment sounds a lot more like it.

I am sure 10 years (if real 10 years) is more then enough to deter them. I I think 10 years for corruption (talking big cases a couple of million 10 -20 or more not small stuff like false expenses ect, not that does not need to be punished but this would be a huge improvement already). I can dream and wait for this to happen. Most laws here are paper tigers.. and most people with money on either side get off anyway. :sad:

3 hours ago, robblok said:

No way to prove it was or was not.. but fact is without YL her armed wing killing kids (4) and other protesters there would be no excuse for the army to stage a coup. They brought it on themselves. Not to mention that the police under YL did nothing against the violence.. only telling the protesters to go home (just what the government wanted). I think letting lose a violent armed wing on your own civilians (be they from the opposite side) is far worse then a coup. 

Man! Robblok is a stalwart. I'd have him in my scrum any day - probably at number 8. Alas he is punting for the wrong - oh so spectacularly wrong team.

Getting more like China every day. Total control of the masses leavened by occasional show trials of corrupt officials to fool the prols into thinking everybody's equal.

Edited by Krataiboy
eerror

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Would be good if it included graft in the military too. Treason is not corruption this is about corruption besides saving the country from violence by a coup is not treason. YL should have controlled her armed wing better and avoided the violence.

Youre right treason is not corruption. It is far worse and the highest crime one can commit. In this case this coup and every before it was staged so that the military could keep there share of the illegal and corrupt payments.

YS is just the military's excuse, just like they needed one the previous 17 times and the same will occur in future.

What is surprising, is that there are some people who still cant see through the military's actions, even continue to support them despite doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

As they say, its hard to teach old dogs new tricks and some like watching the same old tricks believing, one day the old dog may just succeed. Unfortunately, the old dog never wanted to succeed but those watching are always blinded by false enthusiasm they witness.

Edited by Reigntax
Typo

4 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

#BREAKINGNEWS...........Even the greedy,self-absorbed,scamming hi-so's have their limits!:sick:

Lots of leeway here. Me wonders if they are also trying to ensnare so called wayward politicians in future parliaments as well. All these trial balloons are floating for a reason. The death penalty for wayward politicians would sure narrow down the field running in the next election if and when there ever is one. They are leaving lots of time to plant these land mines. I am afraid the next government will be a "all for one and one for all" government accountable only to themselves.  

4 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Getting more like China every day. Total control of the masses leavened by occasional show trials of corrupt officials to fool the prols into thinking everybody's equal.

Yes it looks like they are heading down the same slippery slope. All this boo hooing on cracking down on social media for national security is just a smoke screen. In China they throw a bone to the common people from time to time to keep the happy. Again its a tiered form of slavery in every country with your oligarchs at the top then the elite and so on down the ladder till you reach the scrambling masses at the bottom. 

6 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Lots of leeway here. Me wonders if they are also trying to ensnare so called wayward politicians in future parliaments as well. All these trial balloons are floating for a reason. The death penalty for wayward politicians would sure narrow down the field running in the next election if and when there ever is one. They are leaving lots of time to plant these land mines. I am afraid the next government will be a "all for one and one for all" government accountable only to themselves.  

Yes, the barracks walls will only be the first stage of protection for the self appointed deserving few and loyal co conspiritors.

Edited by Reigntax
Typo