Glacial conditions cause death and disruption in Europe

rooster59

Glacial conditions cause death and disruption in Europe

606x341_354301.jpg

Heavy snow storms and glacial weather across a large area of Europe have brought unusual landscapes to some Mediterranean countries and caused disruption, hardship and casualties.

In Italy at least seven people – five of them homeless – were reported to have died in a 48-hour period.

The snow has hit some areas already badly damaged by last year’s earthquakes, with temperatures plunging to minus 10 degrees Celsius.

In the south, Brindisi and Bari airports were closed on Saturday morning. Several ferry links were also cut off the southern Italian coast. More snow was forecast over the rest of the weekend.

Further north the Vatican has not been immune. The fountains of St Peter’s Square were turned into frozen blocks of ice – providing at least some pretty pictures for tourists.

In Turkey heavy snow blocked hundreds of roads in the east.

Istanbul woke to a whiteout after heavy snowfall overnight. Hundreds of flights in and out of the city’s airports were cancelled on Friday and Saturday. More snow is expected in the coming days.

“For sure snow is nice but if it snows in Istanbul, life stops. The roads are bad, especially the small roads where traffic is really bad and cars can’t drive,” said one woman in Turkey’s largest city.

In Poland where homeless shelters are full, seven people died of hypothermia during the coldest night of the winter so far, as temperatures dropped to nearly 30 below zero. Saturday night was also predicted to remain very cold.

Elsewhere in eastern Europe two Iraqi migrants were found frozen to death in Bulgaria on Friday. The body of a 20-year-old Afghan who had crossed from Turkey was discovered in northern Greece last Tuesday. With tens of thousands of Syrian refugees on its territory, the country has moved many to heated shelters.

The countries of the Balkans are also suffering from extremely low temperatures, especially in the mountainous regions of Bosnia and in southern and eastern Serbia. Meanwhile Moscow is experiencing its coldest Orthodox Christmas for 120 years.

At the origin of the freezing conditions is air from the Arctic sweeping south from Scandinavia into central Europe. The rest of the weekend is expected to remain cold.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-08

I can almost hear the tens of thousands of economic migrants from North Africa and the Middle East calling out to their hosts in their heated hostels....

"Hello! This is severely colder than the nice warm weather in my home country. Please, will you bring extra-large fluffy blankets and more nice hot food and drink. Thanks.  Oh, and there are 43 channels on the TV, but we need more channels in Arabic.  You're not prejudiced against Islam, are you?  Please bring more TV programs from my home country.  And we need better computers.  Thanks again."

Edited by boomerangutang

They dont know how lucky they are ! I long for the red dripping nose , the blue fingers ( no not sarcasm ).  We here in Thailand are having a bad "winter" again ... far too warm , and now with rain up north in januari ?? Jeeze !  I hope it will be a cold european spring too .... because I will be there !  (eating good food).

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

They dont know how lucky they are ! I long for the red dripping nose , the blue fingers ( no not sarcasm ).

We here in Thailand are having a bad "winter" again ... far too warm , and now with rain up north in januari ?? Jeeze !

I hope it will be a cold european spring too .... because I will be there !

(eating good food).

Yes and its hard to keep the weight down when surrounded by so many good food options back home isn't it?

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

B-but where is the global warming when you need it ? It looks like Europe,s allotment of heat came to Thailand last summer !

I've got 2 words for you: weather is the first and climate is the second.

If you look them up, you'll see that they have different definitions.

16 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Yes and its hard to keep the weight down when surrounded by so many good food options back home isn't it?

Walking in the nice cold euro spring , burns calories , and I don't have to sweat.

Counting the days to get back there , I hate the tropics!

4 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Walking in the nice cold euro spring , burns calories , and I don't have to sweat.

Counting the days to get back there , I hate the tropics!

Yes but that doesn't work for fat lazy guys like me.  Cheers

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

B-but where is the global warming when you need it ? It looks like Europe,s allotment of heat came to Thailand last summer !

Look at the map of the entire globe.  Europe is but a little splotch.  

GW is very real.  How many proofs do skeptics need in order to be convinced?  My guess is; no amount of scientific proof will suffice.  Not receding glaciers, nor calving glaciers at North and South polar regions, nor rising seas, nor widening deserts, nor bubbling methane, nor rising average temps worldwide - will convince those who are determined that GW is a hoax perpetrated by.... (whom?) .....oh, almost forgot, ....by the Chinese, according to that great scientific mind; Donald Trump.

4 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Global warming melts ice caps. This affects the transatlantic transfer (warm water from the Gulf of Mexico travelling northeast and moderating Europe's weather patterns).

Nice attempt; try again.

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Look at the map of the entire globe.  Europe is but a little splotch.  

GW is very real.  How many proofs do skeptics need in order to be convinced?  My guess is; no amount of scientific proof will suffice.  Not receding glaciers, nor calving glaciers at North and South polar regions, nor rising seas, nor widening deserts, nor bubbling methane, nor rising average temps worldwide - will convince those who are determined that GW is a hoax perpetrated by.... (whom?) .....oh, almost forgot, ....by the Chinese, according to that great scientific mind; Donald Trump.

I agree with you 100% and gave your post a "Like", but one clarification...

A modern skeptic is an intelligent person who demands evidence and scientific fact...and is capable of processing such...before they accept a claim. True skeptics today are truth seekers and the vast majority are in acceptance of Climate Change/GW.

The term that is appropriate to those whom you are referring is DENIER. These deniers are either incapable or unwilling or both, of accepting facts, evidence and science. They deny science and reason and are commonly called Conspiracy Theorists. Two quotes come to mind for these deniers:

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
 Neil deGrasse Tyson

“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

3 hours ago, dave_boo said:

Global warming melts ice caps. This affects the transatlantic transfer (warm water from the Gulf of Mexico travelling northeast and moderating Europe's weather patterns).

Nice attempt; try again.

Obviously human caused global warming is a real thing but it's not valid to assign particular instances of extreme weather - or for that matter any weather - to  the general warming of the climate.