Video: Hunt on for foreigners who disrespected Thai flag

webfact

You know it is very funny.

When I grew up I was taught to do unto others as i want them to do to me.

This seems to be something that is lost in this PC it is someone else's fault world.

Just look at the kid in NK that decided that he wanted a poster off the wall.

While the length of time is a little harsh the idea of doing some work is not that bad an idea.

Go to a muslim country and try some of the stuff these idiots do here and see how it goes.

They should get time cleaning streets or some such work for a few days a fine and blacklisted.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am by no means a 'gone native' expat,nor am i a Uk royalist,but i do believe that the flag of any country should be treated with respect.The flag of a nation usually represents the hardship of the country establishing its freedom and the blood spilled by others in the history of that nation.I know that the Union jack means a lot to me,considering the early and later wars that went into making it.And having lived in the USA for some years,i understand what their flag means to them.Just because the nations people might be considered third world or new world,its their flag and should be treated with respect.The defilers of the Thai flag,only proved that they are ignorant of such history and have no respect for anybody or anything that represents that country.If they are found,i think they should be punished enough to make them understand that some people see their flag as a light,when all around there is darkness.its a shame that a younger generation is to blame.

8 hours ago, watcharacters said:

YOU are correct about how to act in a foreign country.

However, if you were in my home country you could spit,  stomp on,  and burn my countries flag in public and you would have the protection of the law for your actions.

It's called freedom of expression/speech.

If a country does not allow for  that then  anyone breaking the law in a foreign country  should realize the potential  gravity of his actions.

Whilst that may be true - you can only do what you like to your OWN flag.

This is not their property, this is vandalism, that's a crime anywhere.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Police advised them what a Wai was and to show remorse.....20k each and enjoy the rest of your hols boys....

While the thai authorities might be okay with that, there will very likely be an outrage into the foreigner's TTT , they can't bear the idea of a couple of kids not being tortured into a prison, which seems to be come out straight from our middle ages past, and that's for having committed the brutal crime of ripping off a few shopping centre decorations hanging from the ceiling, while being drunk on a holiday alone!

Even the idea to consider these youths for what they really are (look at them almost crying for their moms on the video), it's an unbearable thought for them, well, unfortunately there are still plenty of these very unpleasant individuals around, which keeps marrying 12 y.o. because the law would allow them to do so, and not just in some remote 3rd world countries....

It should be worth to remember that in Thailand, adulthood it's legally reached at 21, while in scientific terms, the human brain stop developing  only at 25 

11 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Thank you for the video. I think, the apology is ok. It was simply an act of to drunk youngster. By far not as bad as a fight between two or more quality farang tourists.

A good donation to a Wat or social institution would be appropriate, not a

20k fine.

20k Baht was a proposal by transam or real?

8 hours ago, katana said:

Manager Online says the 2 youths were arrested on Sunday night. The culprits were a 20 and 18 year-old, both reported as being Italian (although their transliterated names don't sound very Italian?).

They're apologising profusely, saying they were drunk. Thai online comment seems pretty heated.

Police said they will charge them with damage to property and desecrating the national flag.

image.jpg

Oh, they were drunk. Good excuse works over & over. Bow to my Mini Cooper!  

45 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

60 days for stupidity should do it.

Why should anyone show respect for a piece of cloth with some colours on it? 

How about show respect for the feelings of your hosts? For real people, not for a piece of fabric!

It's not about a piece of cloth....It's what

it represents!!!  Think!!

4 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

It's not about a piece of cloth....It's what

it represents!!!  Think!!

You are both right, it's also what it represents, so that would be just a perceived damage and not a factual one, let them pay back the few hundred bahts damage they did, plus maybe another 1.000 as a penalty fine, done!

No need to take all this whole story internationally, what a joke, total waste of time and resulting into a an humiliating punishment so far, which it's much worse than the "crime" itself 

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

A lot of people break the law in a lot of countries regarding paying for sexual services. But that does not insult a nation.

Pulling someone's national flag or symbol down and then walking all over it is an insult to a nation. Free speech - try doing that in most any country and see what happens to you.

Pissed up is no excuse either. Drunk and disorderly, vandalism, insulting the nation. Should be a couple of weeks in the Bangkok Hilton, large fine, deported and black listed.

Don't be so silly: a few decades ago you too were young and probably even sillier than you are now ( with all respect). Thailand encourages these types to visit and should understand that a tiny fraction of them, at 3.59 am and while fully tanked, will engage in anti-social activity...it's part of the territory and should be ignored.

But some zealots, probably those that excuse just about every social ill in the country, won't let it go and insist there is a national insult to be found, wounded pride etc, rather than a couple of drunken ratbags on the tear. Fuss about nothing.

Even if i have the right to freedom of speech or expression, i would never step on another country's flag or destroy another person's property just to show disagreement or protest or just cos i was drunk ..

The people who are sensible and responsible would never exercise their rights even if they can, in this way to hurt the feelings or properties of others. 

Nationalistic or not , show respect , be responsible. 

Look at the actions of these 2 man. Do u think they were having a lawful protest? Were they fighting for human rights or freedom of expression. 

I dont think so, they were up to mischief. They are not the champions of freedom some of think they r.

I m not Thai, i have no nationalistic feelings. 

This 2 man were behaving irresponsibly n unlawfully towards others property and desecrating a sacred symbol of this country. 

They should be caught and prosecuted for their actions

Edited by Moonmoon

I have to wonder what would have happened to those 2 bozos had they been caught out by several ( drunken ) Thai men that happened to be walking through the same alleyway...or happened to witness them doing what they did do.........

Lynch Mob maybe .....Yikes!

Cheers  

As longer this thread as more pathetic:

I believe that the flag of any country should be treated with respect.The flag of a nation usually represents the hardship of the country establishing its freedom and the blood spilled by others in the history of that nation."

Does the number of postings correlate with intelligence?

Is this also valid for flags of Syria, Ruanda, Congo and ma y many more?

2 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Even if i have the right to freedom of speech or expression, i would never step on another country's flag or destroy another person's property just to show disagreement or protest or just cos i was drunk ..

The people who are sensible and responsible would never exercise their rights even if they can, in this way to hurt the feelings or properties of others. 

Nationalistic or not , show respect , be responsible. 

It's all about real damages and just perceived as such.

Even showing a personal direct disapproval as in your post, might be perceived as en extreme personal affront by someone with a different kind of sensitivity 

The arrest came after a Facebook user Anake Saranath posted video clips of the pair throwing down the flags in front of a shop in Krabi on 7 January. The suspect also broke a pot in front of the shop.

http://prachatai.org/english/node/6825

I know it's wrong to say this but I'm so glad the cctv footage of the elderly couple and their son getting badly beaten in Hua Hin last year went viral.

I know, what a nasty thing to say but the Thai's want to crucify these two youngsters so what come around goes around.

Just sayin. I just don't think this pulling down of a few small Thai flags is worth locking up these two boys.

31 minutes ago, seadigital said:

Oh, they were drunk. Good excuse works over & over. Bow to my Mini Cooper!  

Yeah....But they quickly learned "THAT" part from the conduct of the Thais....

Drink and get stinking Drunk and do something dangerous or stupid or deadly or harmful or damaging to others and or other peoples property while all is soon forgotten if you profusely Wai while apologising several times in public and then pay some money ( always negotiable of course)  .... and then say: "We are all good here now...Nah"

Cheers

2 hours ago, Mangostin said:

They are just kids, take it easy, feel free to retaliate against whatever country of the world you like, if that's make you feel any better

This statement is all what's wrong with our so called society "there just kids" oh bless them now whatever you do don't shout or tell the little darlings off will you. They might go running screaming child abuse bless them. If people bring kids up with no consequences to there actions we as the so called dominant species have no chance. But hey there only kids the adults of tomorow god help us.

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

This statement is all what's wrong with our so called society "there just kids" oh bless them now whatever you do don't shout or tell the little darlings off will you. They might go running screaming child abuse bless them. If people bring kids up with no consequences to there actions we as the so called dominant species have no chance. But hey there only kids the adults of tomorow god help us.

That not what i wrote, nor what i meant.

Action must be taken to teach them some manners, but let's not invoke the death penalty for a pieces of cloth worth a few pounds, ....even if it's Thailand

8 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Northern Italy on the Austrian border area they speak a sort of German (Austrian)/Italian dialect, beautiful part of Italy.

Nope.

They DO speak german, not a dialect, many refuse to speak the language of the country they now belongs to, for historic's reasons, and there is also an ethnic minority which speak its own language (not a dialect), called "ladin" 

Edited by Mangostin

I hope they don't get any larger punishment for damaging a piece of fabric than that girl did for killing 9 people with her car.

Maybe they can even ask to do their community service in a location of their choice, like their own country :-)

6 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:
  2 hours ago, Mangostin said:

They are just kids, take it easy,

So you didn't write this then? What is it supposed to mean if that's not what you wrote the rest of the post was about telling people to say as they please about any other country if it makes them feel better!! And that's supposed to mean?. Actions have consequences even for kids (which there not by the way) if you say there only kids therefore implying it's ok do as you please no consequences. How else am I supposed to read your post?

9 hours ago, transam said:

You obviously haven't met Trans yet......:whistling:......But I accept you posted "most", though I do not agree with that...

I have a farang posting on forums here that I am a "draft dodger" (hope you know what that means)....Totally untrue and I hope the law will take care of that false statement here...Yes, he is one of your "no brain farangs"..

Draft dodger. Wow! Haven;t heard that since the 60's.  Most people today don't know what a draft is. 

8 hours ago, thai006 said:

should take  them to jail  1 or 2 year here for respect Thailand 

No, that is so wrong it is bordering on the imbecilic...a small fine and an apology is all that is needed, this is not a crime against Thailand.

Super sensitivity about a flag and what it represents is pretty much redundant when the disrespect handed out by Thais to their foreign guests is rampant: 

super violence, sexual harassment , ridiculous jail terms for minor infractions and on and on. Make Thailand and Thai people worthy of respect first

before demanding it.