Isaan - Northeastern Thailand one of 17 CNN’s top tourist destinations in 2017

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Always said I got treated better when visiting this area and many other parts of Thailand

The Exception are

BKK

Corrupt Pattay?

Pukett?

and sadly of late Hua Hin

This vast section of Thailand is equipped with excellent infrastructure that includes several domestic airports and a range of upmarket hotels

CNN have not used the roads here in the last 2.5 years have they

2 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

I live Isan Much cheaper than Bangkok  Only thing is the drivers are just the same as Bangkok  Lunatics behind the steering wheel with no idea what they are doing

Free driving license in every bag of rice

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

First point i do not drink.

Second point look what the tourist hordes have done to other areas, destroyed them.

Well said, the financial benefits are not worth the price to be paid, tourist hordes, get the hence.

The destruction of the simple village life with all its warts and defects would destroy the fabric of society.

3 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

90% of foreigners living in Isaan are absolute Lunatics, after 9 years of coming to Isaan , I now realize , why they are up there , they don't belong in society, tin foil hat candidates, alcoholics, the paranoid, I'm done, I like Isaan but the more you meet people up there, the more disappointed you become, with foreigners up here.jmho :passifier:

I wonder what the "Isaan" folk thought of you? :shock1:

7 hours ago, DM07 said:

So, better paying jobs for your neighbours, an improved infrastructure and an overall development for one of Thailands poorest regions does not mater, unless you can drink your Chang "in peace"?!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

With the proliferation of vehicles, particularly cars of all sizes and other 1 million baht plus passenger vehicles the poor of Isaan have become rather more wealthy over the past decade. The city I live in did not have traffic jams back then and the main source of transport was motorbikes and trucks. Now even many trucks are no longer working vehicles. 

I can only assume from your uniformed post that your knowledge of the region is limited to what you have read, that is not to say there are no poor people in Isaan as there are everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Anon999 said:

With the proliferation of vehicles, particularly cars of all sizes and other 1 million baht plus passenger vehicles the poor of Isaan have become rather more wealthy over the past decade. The city I live in did not have traffic jams back then and the main source of transport was motorbikes and trucks. Now even many trucks are no longer working vehicles. 

I can only assume from your uniformed post that your knowledge of the region is limited to what you have read, that is not to say there are no poor people in Isaan as there are everywhere.

Aha!

5 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

90% of foreigners living in Isaan are absolute Lunatics, after 9 years of coming to Isaan , I now realize , why they are up there , they don't belong in society, tin foil hat candidates, alcoholics, the paranoid, I'm done, I like Isaan but the more you meet people up there, the more disappointed you become, with foreigners up here.jmho :passifier:

I have lived here in Loei for 4 years and wouldn't live anywhere else.  I am married to a school teacher, my brother-in-law is a Doctor in Charge at a major regional hospital, his son is a high ranking police officer in Bangkok and my social life, given the group of Thai friends I have met through the family, is great.  And it is much better because I took time to learn, understand and respect their culture and speak the language.  I am readily accepted amongst the locals and enjoy learning from them. 

Now you know 90 percent of those Farangs residing in Isaan do you, what rot and if you have been coming to this province for 9 years then it appears you have not learnt much.  You wouldn't know how many Farangs are residing in the province and to generalise is a no, no, under any circumstance.  Please enlighten us as to how you reached your conclusions, it should make interesting reading.  90 percent out of how many, what are your statistics.

How dare you come onto an open Forum and make such ludicrous allegations, do you feel great after venting your vile insidious remarks.  I could probably use stronger terms but then I'd be given a holiday.  To shamefully besmirch people you have never met, would have no idea of their lifestyles or situations only highlights you ignorance of those who have chosen to live in this province.  You say you come here because you like Isaan, given what you have gone on about, I would suggest Isaan now feels the opposite.

Given your denigrating words, maybe some of them apply to yourself but seeing I don't know you, I wouldn't sink to your level in providing a description.  Please, for the next 9 years, give us a miss up here, the reason we came to the province is to avoid people like yourself, one who quite clearly has a huge chip on his shoulder, has difficulty in assimilating into not only the Thai society but any society, which is something that many of us here have not.   :wai:

4 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

Your usual dribble replies, obviously part of the 90%

With 5 Isaan towns (and whatever) under your belt, it appears that you're the one that can't seem to 'fit in' up there.

But if you reckon 90% of us are socially challenged and that makes you feel a whole lot better about your personal inadequacies, we won't piss on your parade too much.

9 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Curious--i like nature and peace and quiet, but dont want to be limited

to noodles and rice daily--and also  access to decent wifi-housing....

So where would your pick be to for the cheapest living in Thailand?

I liked ayutthaya--khon kaen--nong khai...am i missing others?

soi 6 pattaya: "Isaan's home away from home"

Edited by localczar
ok

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

Hells teeth why tell the tourist hordes about Issan?

I love living here because there are very few tourists,

Beautiful place to live and a lot cheaper living than other areas of Thailand,

Just look what's happened to Karon beach when they let the Chinese in.IMG_1422.JPGIMG_1421.JPG

Edited by The man from udon

I am curious how many of the people that are not fans of Northeast Thailand after living there took the time to learn the culture and more importantly the language? I have been visiting Buriram since 1993 and love the countryside of this region. For me this area is the real Thailand and it is where I will be settling when we move there next month. I can understand why it would not appeal to everyone, but for some it is a peaceful rural area with warm and genuine people. 

I cannot find any photos of Karon Beach that look anything like the beach photo in post #49. I am sure it has built up since I was last there in the mid-1990's but the fact that I cannot find any photos to verify make me wonder.

5 minutes ago, oceanyachting said:

haha goldbuggy. DHL can't  find my house in Patong, so they've no chance elsewhere

Yeah! My DHL Package ended up at the Post Office and then with the Post Man who normally delivers here a couple of times a week. But he didn't feel like delivering that day so he took it home with him for a couple more. My Wife picked it up from His Wife at his house in a different village.

I wish DHL would show that in their next Commercial and Advertisement. Would be glad to help them along with the actual "Footage". They just have to send me another DHL Express Parcel, and like the last 3 times I did this and paid big money for the security and quick delivery.No problem providing the documents as being signed off. The Post Man can do that once he knows your name.   

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

I am curious how many of the people that are not fans of Northeast Thailand after living there took the time to learn the culture and more importantly the language? I have been visiting Buriram since 1993 and love the countryside of this region. For me this area is the real Thailand and it is where I will be settling when we move there next month. I can understand why it would not appeal to everyone, but for some it is a peaceful rural area with warm and genuine people. 

I agree with you about the area, that's where I bought my pure bred German Shepherd almost 3 years ago.  A bloody long drive from Loei but well worth it.  Actually killed two birds with one stone, went to a friend's son's wedding, boy they know how to throw one helluva of a party.  And really great people, was given the right royal treatment being the only Farang there.  It was 20 questions once they found out I could speak Thai.  It sure beats sitting around like a dummy as I see many Farangs doing when they don't make the effort. :wai:

15 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Don't you worry, the quality endorsement of CNN is on par with TAT Tourism Authority of Thailand - they just smoke different weed most likely ;-) 

Before I did much traveling I would read these types of articles in magazines and be all, "Wow, that sounds fantastic."  But the more you travel, the more you realize that the Conde Nasts and CNNs of the world have no clue what they're talking about.  Sure, Issan is nice but when you read the travel stories, it's some yahoo who went there for a week and fell in love rather than someone who is intimately familiar with the area.  

There was someone on Forbes recently who said Chiang Mai was THE best place in the world for digital nomads and then was flat out and factually wrong regarding about half of the points he cited as to what made CM the best place.  Let's put it this way, one of the reasons CM was the best place in the world for digital nomads, Thais have good English skills. 

I can't imagine the guy spent more than 3 months combined in Thailand.  And he failed to even mention anything about the current political situation, internet censorship (which seems like it might be important if your life revolves around the internet), or whacky plans by people in uniforms to make foreigners use special SIM cards.    

That's the kind of guy who writes these "XXXXX Named Best Vacation Destination" articles.  People who log a lot of miles but don't ever spend much time in any one place long enough to actually learn something about it.  They get a glimpse and then mentally masterbate out the rest all over their keyboards.  

4 hours ago, Ahab said:

I cannot find any photos of Karon Beach that look anything like the beach photo in post #49. I am sure it has built up since I was last there in the mid-1990's but the fact that I cannot find any photos to verify make me wonder.

It's a joke picture