Tip Box at Immigration - Against the law

ThaiCitizen

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

So someone has put it on twitter big result eh. Stand by for immigration crackdown people. Big ho ha over nothing if you don't want to tip immigration don't.  But why try to blow a little tip box out of all proportion. Have you considered it might be there for the checkers and helpers at immigration not the officers themselfs?

It is not nothing. It is asking for tips from migrant workers who can barely make ends meet. How low is that.

Old(usually) farang idiots just make it worse for the rest of us. 

They used to ask for donations but now charge 5 baht a page! That's like 10 times the going rate. They're asking for 100 baht tip from every 1900 visa. They're totally corrupt and treating us like idiots.

I speak fluent Thai and some officer insisted on speaking broken English to me. 

If you want to bend over and take it up the *****, go ahead buddy but some of us have some integrity.

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

I am absolutely amazed at what some people do here on TV. I have no idea what immigration office has been mentioned but IMO this will have repercussions across all offices. Trust me, there are issues coming over the next 12-18mths that the vast majority are not going to like regarding particularly the obtaining and extension of Tourist visas without trying to stir it up.
People want it done by the book? It's 100% coming but when it does then you will see the posts about how unfair it is and how it used to be.
People think they are clever doing it. Lets see how clever they are when Immigration responds.

Great, let’s get rid of those on extended tourists visas.

1 hour ago, ThaiCitizen said:

It is not nothing. It is asking for tips from migrant workers who can barely make ends meet. How low is that.

Old(usually) farang idiots just make it worse for the rest of us. 

They used to ask for donations but now charge 5 baht a page! That's like 10 times the going rate. They're asking for 100 baht tip from every 1900 visa. They're totally corrupt and treating us like idiots.

I speak fluent Thai and some officer insisted on speaking broken English to me. 

If you want to bend over and take it up the *****, go ahead buddy but some of us have some integrity.

Get a grip man your not the only thai speaking falang and your not the spokesman for every falang. I don't 8magine for one second migrant workers tip them so that's just hogwash. You keep your "integrity" ( I would call it something else) Buddy. If you treat IO's the same way as you talk to people on here I'm not suprised they speak diffrent back to you. I will tip people I belive have done a good service to me. My choice my money my opionon

Ps I have never been asked for a tip from any IO.

Edited by Deepinthailand

9 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

So someone has put it on twitter big result eh. Stand by for immigration crackdown people. Big ho ha over nothing if you don't want to tip immigration don't.  But why try to blow a little tip box out of all proportion. Have you considered it might be there for the checkers and helpers at immigration not the officers themselfs?

A friend of mine thinks differently

https://www.facebook.com/KornChatikavanijDP/?fref=nf&pnref=story 

1 hour ago, ThaiCitizen said:

A friend of mine thinks differently

https://www.facebook.com/KornChatikavanijDP/?fref=nf&pnref=story 

I don't open links from unknown sources plus I don't care what your friend thinks to tell the truth. As I said I will carry on tipping for good service so your constant barrage twds me is in fact falling on don't care ears so please feel free to stop sending me rubish thank you

There's a fine line between a tip for service and a mandatory demand for THB 5K for something costing THB 1.9 but all too often one of the "they'll blackball me if I don't"  brigade rolls over, opening a can of worms for everyone else in the queue...

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, evadgib said:

There's a fine line between a tip for service and a mandatory demand for THB 5K for something costing THB 1.9 but all too often one of the "they'll blackball me if I don't"  brigade rolls over, opening a can of worms for everyone else in the queue...

Yes one is a tip given freely, the other is a demand a crime no fine line at all a big unambiguous create between the two. But this topic is about tips and tip boxes to be exact

4 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I don't open links from unknown sources plus I don't care what your friend thinks to tell the truth. As I said I will carry on tipping for good service so your constant barrage twds me is in fact falling on don't care ears so please feel free to stop sending me rubish thank you

I’m quoting you, not talking to you. You have hogged this thread, it’s about police asking for tips. The former Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij kindly agreed to put it on his facebook page and says he has sent a team to investigate.

There are over 170 replies saying how disgusting this  Tip Box is, and many shares.

Keep up please if you’re going to try and have a civil discussion.

5 minutes ago, ThaiCitizen said:

I’m quoting you, not talking to you. You have hogged this thread, it’s about police asking for tips. The former Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij kindly agreed to put it on his facebook page and says he has sent a team to investigate.

There are over 170 replies saying how disgusting this  Tip Box is, and many shares.

Keep up please if you’re going to try and have a civil discussion.

Yeh Yeh Yeh whatever still think it's silly but hey if you feel good please let immigration know your real name so they can concentrate on you please. This is a discussion started by you if you don't like other points of view don't start a topic keep up please.

Before you write comments such as "police asking for tips" better get your facts correct defermation laws are quite harsh here. 

Edited by Deepinthailand

On 1/12/2017 at 9:36 AM, Fairynuff said:

I think tipping for good service is appropriate. "Tipping" by demand in order to get good service definitely isn't appropriate.

I think tipping for doing their job is just a continuation of the bribes that encourage corruption.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2017 at 9:59 AM, KittenKong said:

Why? They are paid to do their job. On top of that many of them benefit from a lot of under the counter payments for "services rendered". I would be ashamed to expect tips on top of that.

The clients are scaredy cats.They think this will help them.I find a joke and and a laugh does the trick.What do IO think of these weak people.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2017 at 10:25 AM, possum1931 said:

That is far too sensible for the Thai mindset, what would be more sensible than paying your local immigration office a set fee every 90 days or whatever depending what visas or extensions you are on, instead of risking your life traveling to some border for an in/out stamp.

Sensible people only go to local IO once a year.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:36 AM, possum1931 said:

"and the overall quality of Thai Visa  would also improve",  

Do you really believe that? All Thai immigration ever do is make it harder as the years go by.

Only because farangs have rorted and continue to rort the process for decades.Cause and effect.

7 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

If there on an extension of stay they go every 90 days. Internet down so online is out, post yes you can but most don't.  So are you saying those people are not sensible then? Or are you saying they should PAY for an agent to do it? 

Cause and effect

5 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

If there on an extension of stay they go every 90 days. Internet down so online is out, post yes you can but most don't.  So are you saying those people are not sensible then? Or are you saying they should PAY for an agent to do it? 

Cause and effect

Dear DEEPINTHAILAND: After 76 postings all up by now, we all know that first, you believe that it is the right thing to do to tip. That second, you can do with your money whatever you want to. And third, that you are wasting less time by 'tipping', which obviously means that other people have to wait longer for their renewals etc. 

12 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Only because farangs have rorted and continue to rort the process for decades.Cause and effect.

Farangs are to blame too as you say, but the less moneyed Farangs do not get a fair deal here, the reason I stay here is because it is still much better than the UK, weather, taxes, etc, etc, etc.

On 1/14/2017 at 8:50 AM, Lovethailandelite said:

I am absolutely amazed at what some people do here on TV. I have no idea what immigration office has been mentioned but IMO this will have repercussions across all offices. Trust me, there are issues coming over the next 12-18mths that the vast majority are not going to like regarding particularly the obtaining and extension of Tourist visas without trying to stir it up.
People want it done by the book? It's 100% coming but when it does then you will see the posts about how unfair it is and how it used to be.
People think they are clever doing it. Lets see how clever they are when Immigration responds.

Scaremongering with no evidence whatsoever.

22 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Good point, but there is the other side, I keep the biggest amount of my money in my UK bank, as I do not trust the Thai government, IMO. I should qualify for permanent residency, if I cannot be trusted to be granted PR, then Thailand cannot be trusted to look after my money.

I always look at it that I am only here on a year to year basis, very unfair, as I am contributing to the Thai economy all the time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UTH001 said:

Dear DEEPINTHAILAND: After 76 postings all up by now, we all know that first, you believe that it is the right thing to do to tip. That second, you can do with your money whatever you want to. And third, that you are wasting less time by 'tipping', which obviously means that other people have to wait longer for their renewals etc. 

First is correct if I am given a good service you forgot to mention.

Second is exactly correct.

Third I have absolutely no idea what your talking about!

Fourth what has all this got to do with my post you quoted

Fifth on a public forum I am allowed to say and disagree with whoever I like. I see no mention from you of other contributers to this thread who constantly raille against tipping!

Edited by Deepinthailand

6 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Scaremongering with no evidence whatsoever.

Thailand could easily stop these people who think they are being clever, ie, come down hard on those illegal workers, stiff punishments for the bosses who are employing them without work permits, the "C" word comes to mind here, instead of coming down on tourists, and people who want to stay here long term, ie the under fifties.