Problem re Windows 7 Service Pack1 (64bt) & Zonealarm

evadgib

Hi All,

I recently found that I was unable to update Zonealarm on one of my computers because it doesn't have the above mentioned windows service pack. After many hours last night and again this afternoon I haven't been able to find a way around it. I only use that particular computer to watch telly but will occasional check emails etc rather than boot up my desktop. My questions therefore are:

- Is there a quick fix by way of a free download?

-  Is it worth paying for an upgrade to windows 10?

- Can I simply leave it as it is and do Banking etc on a separate device (the one i'm on now) that is fully protected?

Thank you for any replies :)

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

- Is there a quick fix by way of a free download?

Quick is relative.

The download is  almost a one Gigabyte.

Doing via Windows update will probably a bit smaller in total.

LONG overdue.

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

29 July 16 was the last day of the free upgrade.  Now you must buy Win 10.

No that is not true. The GWX upgrade finished last July. Upgrading with install media still works.

I have just upgraded a Win7 machine this afternoon as I have done dozens of times since last July.

I am not using the "assistive technologies" workaround because it isn't necessary.

I do use the genuineticket method but that is only to save wasting time with the upgrade process and can go directly to clean install on an OEM Win7 machine where the product key sticker is no longer legible .

In fact since the anniversary update (or about then anyway) it has been possible to upgrade a Win7 machine using the product key or a Win8 machine without doing anything. Simply clean install Win10 and it will extract the Win8 Product Key from the UEFI without asking. After installation, go online and it will be activated.

There has been some speculation about why Microsoft would allow this after publicly stating that the free upgrade finished last July. Microsoft has been asked directly by some tech journalists but, as far as I have read, have declined to comment.

21 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And I could bet that the precondition for a W10 upgrade is W7 SP1. :biggrin:

Maybe someone can proof me wrong.

Yes SP1 is the minimum requirement for a manual upgrade from Win7.

But obviously if bypassing the upgrade and clean installing Win10, it isn't relevant.