Trump suggests he may do away with Russia sanctions if Moscow helpful - WSJ

rooster59

Trump suggests he may do away with Russia sanctions if Moscow helpful - WSJ

640x640 (2).jpg

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump speaks at a "Thank You USA" tour rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan, U.S. December 9, 2016. REUTERS/Mike Segar/Files

(Reuters) - U.S. President-elect Donald Trump said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal that he would keep intact sanctions against Russia "at least for a period of time," and that he wouldn't commit to the "one China" policy until he sees progress from Beijing in its currency and trade practices.

In excerpts from an hourlong interview published by the Journal on Friday, Trump said: "If you get along and if Russia is really helping us, why would anybody have sanctions if somebody’s doing some really great things?"

Trump suggested he might do away with the sanctions - imposed by the Obama administration in late December in response to Moscow’s alleged cyber attacks - if Moscow proves helpful in battling terrorists and reaching other goals important to Washington, the Journal reported.

Trump told the newspaper he is prepared to meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin some time after he is sworn in on Jan. 20.

"I understand that they would like to meet, and that’s absolutely fine with me," he said.

Asked if he supported the "one China" policy on Taiwan that has underpinned U.S. relations with Beijing for decades, Trump told the Journal: "Everything is under negotiation including One China."

Trump angered the Chinese by taking a congratulatory phone call after his election win from Taiwan's leader and questioning the "one China" policy.

The United States has acknowledged the Chinese position that there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of China.

Trump has said in the past he would label China a currency manipulator after he takes office. In the interview, he said he wouldn’t take that step on his first day in the White House. “I would talk to them first," he said.

"Certainly they are manipulators," he added. "But I’m not looking to do that."

But he made plain his displeasure with China’s currency practices. "Instead of saying, 'We’re devaluating our currency,' they say, 'Oh, our currency is dropping.' It’s not dropping. They’re doing it on purpose," he said, according to the Journal.

"Our companies can’t compete with them now because our currency is strong and it’s killing us," the Journal quoted Trump as saying.

China's Foreign Ministry responded on Saturday by saying the "One China" principle was non-negotiable and was the "political basis" for China-U.S. relations.

"We urge the relevant parties in the United States to recognise the high degree of sensitivity of the Taiwan issue and abide by commitments made by successive U.S. administrations from both parties to pursue the One China policy ... and properly handle the Taiwan issue so as not to affect the stable development of China-U.S. relations and cooperation between the two countries," spokesman Lu Kang said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-15

22 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm not so shocked, to find there's gambling in Casablanca.

File this under tit-for-tat.

Yes,  like Russia you help me to win an election and I will help you later on. America's arch enemy having power over its president.. interesting times ahead. 

Putin must be laughing his @rse off over in the Kremlin. His  meddling in the US election will pay off handsomely - the man-child will come through for him.

The PeeOTUS is so breathtakingly easy to manipulate since he has the mentality of a mean child. Stroke his ego and he's your friend, no matter what you've done. Say something that's even remotely critical and he's your enemy forever.

Sad state of affairs.

17 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

And " donnant-donnant " USA needs to leave all the countries where they are with military bases or troups on the ground ...

Many more than Russia out of their boundaries .

But those bases are there with the request and permission of the hosting countries.  Unlike in Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia...and some could argue Syria as Assad is not really the president.

The Philippines asked the US military to leave some years ago, and they did!  Perhaps Russia could do the same?

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Trump has said in the past he would label China a currency manipulator after he takes office.

Key words "said in the past" especially during the election campaign. I wonder if this guy will ever progress to the present. Friday will tell the tale 

The thing is Trump sees this just like one of the reality tv shows, but the thing is there are no 're-takes', there is no 'crash reset button'.

The moment Trump lifts the sanctions on Russia, his mate Tillerson will make a few hundred million bonus from Exxon and the Ruskies..

i am an american and i don't think the USA should attempt to dictate anything with respect to the relationship between ukraine/crimea and russia.  i don't want russia to dictate the policy of the USA towards mexico.  i realize the policies are strikingly different but it is what it is.  as far as i'm concerned, the russians haven't done anything that has had a negative impact on the USA  for several decades (if not longer).  i'd say the same about china.  why should the USA dictate how china operates.  yes, they operate in a much different manner than the USA but the USA is far from perfect.   trump and our other leaders in government need to focus on good relations with other world powers and keep their mouth shut when it comes to criticism. 

and NATO is a joke.  when it comes time to step up to the plate and organize a military group, the only one's there are from USA and the UK.  at least in any significant number.  that said, poland has stepped up many times and i'm more than happy to have USA troops on their soil.  France and germany have been okay in recent years but they were dead wood for a couple decades.

the baltic states have nothing to worry about.  russia took back crimea as their puppet leader of ukraine was overthrone so they grabbed a 'jewel' and let the country go.  russia is not going to invade the baltic states as they have legitimate governments in place.  i believe estonia is even known for its lack of corruption.  of course, ukraine is on the other side of the spectrum on that one.