Minivans must follow 20 point checklist in new "get tough" regulations

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fit tachographs and speed governors on all commercial vehicles. That's just to start with. Any vehicle modification fitted without the insurance company approval automatically negates the right of the vehicle to be on the road and removed immediately.

I agree totally with the mini van inspection. Will it help NO.

Its the culture and the acceptance of bad driving that's causing so many deaths and injuries. They all have the attitude as long as its not me.I personally have learnt to just be extra careful while on the road. Now when I see an accident I have become emotionally retracted from it. The police seem more interested in forming road blocks to catch unsuspecting tourists on scooters than catching all the idiots driving cars like their in a smash up derby. 

Get the priorities right and things might change. Until then nothing will change.

Road worthy check. Isn't that what the yearly MOT is for? Oh no. That's wrong. When I go to get my motorbikes checked, they check NOTHING! I keep my bikes well but they at the MOT station don't even check lights. How many motorbikes/ cars do you see with no lights/ misaligned headlights here? That is a reflection of how sh$# the MOT test is here.
Mini van checks? Just paying lip service. No in for cement by the BIB. No fing point!

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Thai government and police don't understand basic law provision and enforcement. What they do in UK is publicize a law such as no mobile phone use whilst driving, then police blitz drivers for a while, people hear about large fines and begin to self - police. After a while police just need to concentrate on hard core offenders whilst the majority look after themselves. Of course policing there is a public service rather than a commercial profit-making business.

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

A couple of weeks ago minivans were to be phased out altogether in six months, if I remember rightly. 

Is there anywhere else that provides so many knee-jerk reactions only to rescind them, or just forget them, within a very short period?

Give 'em credit.  It was a crappy idea to solve a very real problem and they changed their mind.  In spite of any loss of face.  I'd call that progress.

But now let's see what they do next.  The problem is still there.

"The 20 point roadworthiness checklist includes the following, said Thai Rath: brakes, tires, wheels, seat belts, doors, fire extinguishers and escape hammers. These rules will apply from this month."

I wonder how will they conduct the test:  brakes: 4 - pass; tires: 4 plus spare - pass; wheels: 4 - pass; seat belts: lots - pass....etc

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

More rules and regulations, those rules are actually in the law already for all vehicles, at least some of them, just need to enforce them.

It comes down to enforcing again and again, this will wear off after a couple of weeks and everything will be back to the lazy normal again.....

don't forget the mini bus driver with bald tyres, got told by a POLICE MAN to go and fit new tyres,( nothing more) i bet that van has still bald tyres now that the driver has passed a check point and got away with a very dangerous defect

I never understand the thought processes that go on relating to this Department, maybe it is just me. However, it seems to me they always put the cart before the horse. Nothing again about the driving skills. I would prefer a rust bucket and a competent driver over a perfect van and a nutcase behind the wheel. With these regulatory changes, I still wouldn't get into a van because they still will be death machines.

These" points" should be "standard" testing for any public service vehicle.

So what has happened, absolutely nothing.

I cannot see how a GPS will tell anybody if the driver has been drinking or on drugs, or going too fast.

8 hours, between bottle & throttle & restrict speed to 100kph MAX. Police must enforce with no corruption.

Here i go again,,,,, 55555

Well, it is a start. A bit late, but still a move in the right direction. But more needs to be done. Never mind 20 points - even a 200-point check isn't going to address the REAL issue here, and that is the idiot behind the wheels of these minivans. You can have the best brakes, tyres and the van can be in tip-top, showroom condition, and it'll still crash into the nearest tree if it is driven by an idiot. Of course, educating or changing these idiots who spend more time flicking their turn signals every other second than driving, is much harder than a 20-point check. I'm hoping that's the next stage after this 20-point check - addressing the idiots behind the wheels, that is. I'm hoping the authorities aren't side-stepping the issue by a simple 20-point check just to show they are 'doing something'.

On a separate note, I am quite surprised that GPS can also track working hours - "In addition all vans must be fitted with GPS Tracking that will be connected back to land department HQ. This will regulate such things as a driver's working hours." I thought it could track speed, distance, even elevation if that's necessary, but working hours? Must be a new thing, perhaps.