Muslims suffer because of Europe’s terror laws – Amnesty

webfact

Muslims suffer because of Europe’s terror laws – Amnesty

Catherine Hardy

606x341_355244.jpg

Europe’s reinforced terrorism legislation is discriminating against Muslims and refugees.

In a report out on Tuesday, the campaign group Amnesty International says the legislation is “dangerously disproportionate” and is spreading fear and alienation.

The details

Amnesty sounded the alarm over security measures adopted in 14 EU nations over the past two years.

During that time, an estimated 280 people have died in militant attacks in France, Belgium and Germany.

What Amnesty is saying

The report says the new measures following a 2014 UN Security Council resolution to crack down on foreign fighters and criminalise excusing or glorifying terrorism shrink space for freedom of expression.

“Governments looking at a person and saying:‘you look really suspicious to me. You visit community centres. You go to a specific mosque, and so I am going to restrict your behaviour because I think in the future, you might commit a crime.’ This is one of the most troubling aspects of the report and the information in the report,” said Julia Hall, Amnesty International’s counter-terrorism expert and the report’s author.

“And we see governments that have already adopted these types of measures and we see other governments contemplating them.”

Hall warned that “draconian” surveillance measures and powers of search, detention and arrest like those introduced in France since 130 people were killed in November 2015 could be abused to target activists or minority groups that do not pose a genuine threat.

“For every measure that is reflected in it, there is a discriminatory element to it. The discrimination does disproportionately impact on Muslims, people perceived to be Muslim, foreigners, migrants and refugees.”

“And, what we see in Europe right now is it’s not a debate, it is more of a narrative. And the narrative right now is that if you are a Muslim or a refugee or a migrant, you are a threat.”

“And what we are trying to say with this report is that the measures that have been implemented by governments contribute to that narrative.”

The context

The attacks in Europe, mostly claimed by ISIL, have fanned tensions over immigration, fuelled the popularity of right-wing parties and made security a key theme in the upcoming French, Dutch and German elections.

What does Amnesty want?

The group is calling on EU states to limit surveillance measures to individuals who are strongly suspected of wrongdoing.

Euronews fact check – how refugees are viewed in Europe

Recent research suggests views of refugees vary widely across European countries.

A 10-nation Pew Research Center survey found that negative views are more prevalent in countries in eastern and southern Europe.

• The majority of respondents in the UK, Germany, France, Sweden and the Netherlands gave refugees a more favourable rating.
  •  
  • The refugee crisis and the threat of terrorism seem to be closely related in the minds of Europeans.
  •  
  • Most recent refugees are from majority Muslim nations like Syria and Iraq.
  •  
  • In eight out of the 10 nations surveyed, half or more believe incoming refugees increase the likelihood of terrorism in their country.
  •  
  • Many are also worried about the economic burden. Half or more in five nations say refugees will take away jobs and social benefits.
  •  
  • Fears linking refugees and crime seem to be much less pervasive.

Muslims are not the only minority group viewed unfavourably by substantial percentages of Europeans.

The Pew study suggests that, overall, attitudes to Roma are more negative that attitudes towards Muslims.

Read the full report here

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-18

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“And, what we see in Europe right now is it’s not a debate, it is more of a narrative. And the narrative right now is that if you are a Muslim or a refugee or a migrant, you are a threat.”

Yep! This experiment has failed. All need to be removed, like a cancer.

Amnesty is out of its it's tiny, leftist mind. I don't see islam suffering in the Netherlands. On the contrary, it's thriving, mosk's going up all over the place, breeding like rabbits., getting fat on unemployment, housing and child benefits. Over 65 % is unemployed, and not contributing to our society. Meanwhile they commit crimes 4 times more often than non-muslims (70 % of maroccan men between 15 and 25 have a police-record) and are generally behaving as if they own the place.

And that's just the non-radical muslims.

Due to the fascist nature of political islam Europe is in turmoil and fear due to persistent terrorist attacks. 70 % of the Dutch muslims condones radical salafistic islam. Everywhere we go there is now a strongly armed police presence, and increasingly invasive checks at every venue.

I can go on and on, but the real victims here, the people that have to suffer fear, discomfort, pent-up anger and straight out discrimination (I am, for instance, a xenofobic islamofobic right wing radical in the eyes of amnesty) are not the migrant muslims, they are the original European population.

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, a title like this on an OP is asking for xenophobic reactions and will bring out the worst in the right wingers.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

At risk of being called a xenophobic right-winger (I've been called worse), can I ask who these governments are supposed to be representing and working to benefit? The benefits of allowing mass muslim migration seem to be few for the citizens of the country who now are suffering terrorist attacks and the burden of social security for immigrants. If in eight out of the 10 nations surveyed, half or more believe incoming refugees increase the likelihood of terrorism in their country, why are their representatives not stopping it?

ABC news yesterday reported that many ANZAC Day marches will be cancelled because the cost of anti-terrorism security is prohibitive. Anticipated terrorism not from new migrants, but their children. Just one of the benefits of multiculturalism.

A recent opinion study lead by Ipsos Institut in France compares 2016 to 2014 :

French society is stiffening towards religious fundamentalism and its visibility is rejected:  veiled mothers accompanying school trips (68% opponents, +6) or men in traditional Muslim dress (52%, +4). The burkini (swimsuit covering the hair and the body) made a shocking entry among the contested attributes (72%), after being at the heart of a polemic last summer.
The visibility of Islam in the public space is a source of tensions more intense than two years ago, and there is also a diffuse anxiety about the symbolic figure of the Muslim man, As if it were carrying a more palpable potential threat

Mostly, because of the terror attacks," according to Ipsos opinion poll, 51% of French people now consider that Jews have "reason to have fears of living in France", a figure up 16 points from 2014.
There is an increased empathy, it seems that the non-Jewish French identify better with the first group targeted by terrorism.

With more than 700 individuals, jihadists accompanied by their families, listed in the combat zones in Syria and Iraq, France has the largest contingent in Europe. Executioners, gravediggers, jailers, or front-line workers, 250 of them are "fighters" who have learned to use Kalashnikov,  bombs,  kill or execute prisoners. Many now want to flee the chaos in Syria and Irak, and return in Europe.  

Edited by Opl

Ask a Muslim why they came to Europe instead of another Muslim country, they'll say "because the government gives you everything for free".

They don't seem to understand that "the government" get's the money from hard-working citizens. Even if they did know, they wouldn't care.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, a title like this on an OP is asking for xenophobic reactions and will bring out the worst in the right wingers.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Firstly, this subject cannot be defined in terms of left-wing / right-wing. It cuts through all political persuasions.

Your liberal and humanistic attitude is commendable, but, it's precisely that attitude of giving the benefit of the doubt and thinking the best of people that got Europe into this mess in the first place.

Do you really think that Muslims share that attitude with regard to Infidels and Unbelievers?

Yes, I know you will say that I'm generalizing and that the majority of Muslims aren't like that.

Watch the attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3NzkAOo3s

Edited by KarenBravo

30 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

No problem. Muslims are free to accept the laws of the countries they live in; or emigrate to a Muslim country if they so wish.

Fat hope, when they cannot even agree on the branch of Islam...

My last time back in the UK, I went back to where I grew up; a faceless suburb of London.

In the 1970's maybe one in ten was an immigrant from the sub-continent. When I roamed the streets for a hit of nostalgia I couldn't recognize the place. Mine was the only white face.

A group of five Pakistanis stopped me and asked what I was doing there. I explained that this used to be my home. That answer seemed to satisfy them and they left me alone, but, they were definitely acting menacing.

Many parts of England, especially the rural towns and villages haven't changed at all, but, all the major cities have faced a virtual invasion. If you come from a place like this, you will understand the anger felt by the native Brits who were never asked, or consulted on mass immigration who now feel like a foreigner in their own country. These Muslims immigrants congregate in ghettos, encourage this feeling of alienation by not integrating and riding rough-shod over the norms of Western civil society. The Muslim immigrants in many places make it quite clear that whites are not welcome.

Why is it that only the Muslims act like this? There are no problems with Hindus, Sikhs and other religions. Yes, this post might be unPC, but, it's the truth.