Handicapped burger seller says his "life has collapsed" after media attention

webfact

Ex boxer, athlete, airline pilot who somehow managed to faint on a rail track and had both legs ripped off and who then got Thai citizenship and sold burgers. he should write a book and then get it made into a film, all that's missing is his time with the special forces or MI5.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some here who are blaming the TVF community for this guy's stated problems, I think that's off the mark.

I didn't read this story the first time around, but just went back and read thru all of this thread and all of the original thread on this guy's story.

Nobody here was particularly "attacking" the guy verbally. Yes, there were a few posts wondering if he had a work permit and discussing that issue, but to me that's hardly surprising under the circumstances. And none of those posts were "attacking" the guy.

So, if he's in fact getting real grief from somewhere, I really don't think it's coming from these pages. There are times and topics where things do get pretty heated and bitter here, but this topic doesn't seem to be one of them.

PS - Also, in the various posts here, I found nothing indicating this guy actually has Thai citizenship, though some people were discussing if he did.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For some here who are blaming the TVF community for this guy's stated problems, I think that's off the mark.

I didn't read this story the first time around, but just went back and read thru all of this thread and all of the original thread on this guy's story.

Nobody here was particularly "attacking" the guy verbally. Yes, there were a few posts wondering if he had a work permit and discussing that issue, but to me that's hardly surprising under the circumstances. And none of those posts were "attacking" the guy.

So, if he's in fact getting real grief from somewhere, I really don't think it's coming from these pages.

PS - Also, in the various posts here, I found nothing indicating this guy actually has Thai citizenship, though some people were discussing if he did.

And I saw nothing to support his "Pilot"  story and due to his  age he would have to had been a pilot "after" he  had his accident or he would have been the worlds  youngest commercial Captain..............which may be the case.....either way I dont care if   he sells  burgers or  not............his last fight ended in a loss in 4  rounds according to spewtube

Edited by kannot

35 minutes ago, dutchinlondon said:

He never asked for the attention. He just want a life? Is that so hard to understand for you?  

I have a nice, quiet, private life over here, but then, I do not choose to advertise it on Facebook.

Is that so hard to understand for you ??????????

7 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Ex boxer, athlete, airline pilot who somehow managed to faint on a rail track and had both legs ripped off and who then got Thai citizenship and sold burgers. he should write a book and then get it made into a film, all that's missing is his time with the special forces or MI5.

We aren't ready for the full truth

18 minutes ago, Card said:

Why not? many people advertise their businesses in Facebook - that's normal. Did he play on his disability on his Facebook page? If not then why the aggro - are you one of the people he is talking about spewing abuse?

I am not on Facebook.

I grew up a long time ago.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Not everyone in this world is qualified to have an opinion much less air it... but social media has made it possible for even the biggest <deleted>

to air theirs.

Facebook…the lowest common denominator of humanity….

Perhaps those companies...Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc...are a reflection of the public they purport to serve. But all the while posing as honest brokers and facilitators with a social conscience, and in spite of the billions they give away, they really reflect corporate greed at its worst. In that regard I prefer up-front capitalists, what-you-see-is-what-you-get, rather than the creepy Zuckerberg types with the crocodile tears every time a Facebook-bullied teen commits suicide. Crying all the way to the bank. Vile individual.

52 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Gee, Remind me again why I don't have a Facebook page.  Oh yes!  It was the opportunity of stuff like this to happen to me that made me value my anonymity.   This is why I use TVF not FB!   I know many people love it, but how many millions of lives has it destroyed because people were too lazy, conceited or stupid to use the "contact groups" feature in their email program.  And learned to type before they learned to "think before they type".   My wife has just had to open a FB page because her business really requires it. Otherwise she would have still  been the one-in-ten-thousand Thai woman without it. 

I have an anon a/c for operational necessity but have never posted or liked anything or friended anyone.

3 hours ago, ThaiCitizen said:

So handicapped people should be able to break the law and get special treatment?

I bet he gets disability money from his home country.

You are exactly the type of cretin that has totally changed this site into a platform for negative unproductive vermin spouting their vile from a soapbox.  You've just read about the plight of this fellow and his request to just leave him alone. But you cannot. What a poor pitiful world you must live in every day. Can I ask where you are from? I have a good idea.

Bad comments or good comments has nothing to do with this. Here is clearly a man that think it is possible to post a suprising and unique story in todays social media, and after that believe that he´s the only one talking about it. Hmm... everyone knows how social media works today, if not have been sleeping the last 20 years in a cave. As a former boxer he would know that you just have to duck for the punches, because that goes in the real and virtual world too.

Edited by Get Real

There are lots of things that I would like to do in Thailand that go 100% counter to Thai law that prohibits foreigners for engaging in protected business classes like street vendor.  The law sucks, but it is what it is and how many of us out here would like to open a small business without an outlay of 2M THB capitalization. I would!  So, I really don't have a lot of sympathy for the burger-guys situation.  He's blatantly breaking Thai labor laws and eventually that would have caught up with him.  Bowing out gracefully is probably a better idea, and the alternative could end up being a fine, jail-time, and deportation. But he probably could have gone on for a long-time had he simply kept a low-profile.  However, it seems to be human nature nowadays to talk about yourself on social media.

Buck up mate and join the rest of us non-self-employed farangs in the Land of Smiles! Jump in...the water's fine!

Edited by CALSinCM

Unfortunately social media seems to bring out the worst in some people. This world is filled with hateful and angry souls, and by remaining nearly anonymous, they can blast anyone they care to, and get away with it. No repercussions for the crude and heartless remarks they make. Yet, words are powerful, and many do not realize those on the receiving end can be heavily scarred by their cruel and nasty remarks. The use of social media requires alot of responsibility. As we can see with the president elect, some people just do not get that. or do not have the moral character to care. 

5 hours ago, jonclark said:

Reading about this story yesterday on tv its  clear that he could well be talking about posters here making negative remarks. Sadly this website is far from what it once was and is increasingly attracting some very bitter and angry people.

For what its worth Gaz I salute your spirit and tenacity for doing what any man should do earning the money needed to support your family. Despite having to overcome huge obstacles. Your wife and children should be immensly proud of you and I wish you nothing but the best of luck.

Don't let the bastards get you down. 

There ia nomdoubt in my mind he is talking about the lonely, lifeless, miserable 'where-is-his-work-permit, cant-do-that contingent that is so very vocal here. 

Why not simply live and let live.

Just look at what you lot have to add to any discussion you miserable fox.

Edited by HooHaa

43 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

You are exactly the type of cretin that has totally changed this site into a platform for negative unproductive vermin spouting their vile from a soapbox.  You've just read about the plight of this fellow and his request to just leave him alone. But you cannot. What a poor pitiful world you must live in every day. Can I ask where you are from? I have a good idea.

I couldn't have said it better..

I dont think this guy will be getting disability allowance.I am sure that you have to live and be living in the UK. I also think that According to a friend of mine,who suffers with 'Cevical Dystonia' It is now referred to As ESA. I could be wrong.Also this guy is a Thai citizen and has obviously given up his rights to UK benefits.Its a sad case,because he wanst really doing any thing really wrong ,just serving burgers.Not an ATM robber or human trafficker.But like everything else some bastards just love to spoil your day.

Hope you are happy gentlemen.

As far as I know foreigners can legally sell food, providing it is connected to tourism, bit of a grey area but can be done. He must have been working here for 3 years of course to have started down the citizenship road and I doubt that very much, he barely looks old enough to have been here long enough to get it with PR before with all his prior history

Edited by thai3

1 hour ago, djayz said:

What business is it of yours what money he gets and where he gets it from? 

The man lost both legs in an accident, he IS disabled and therefore is entitled to some form of help! 

I think you miss tne point entirely. Entitled to help or not, he does not seem to have been asking for it.

He was doing something. 

That is what so many here take umbrage against as they open another chang and fade away into oblivion.

This place really does disgust me, i persist because it provides me with a very clear image of who i must never become

4 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

I think it would be best to close any thread related to nonameburgers. We should respect his explicit wish and stop talking about him. Mods?

That's very 'politically correct' and the assumption goes counter to fact.

Mr. Payne placed himself in the middle of public discourse.  Now that it hasn't gone well for him, your advocating censorship.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  Nobody put Mr. Payne in the public limelight other than Mr. Payne. Forums like this are to discuss public events.  This is a public event.  Once the genie is out of the bottle, you have to take the good with the bad.  This forum is also a place for those supporting Mr. Payne.  You wish to shut them down too?