Free trade to be cornerstone of US policy, Ambassador Davies assures

webfact

Free trade to be cornerstone of US policy, Davies assures
By NOPHAKHUN LIMSAMARNPHUN
THE NATION

a58c38407a88033d45c020b9e9e3652d.jpeg

US Ambassador Glyn Davies speaks to Thai media yesterday about US-Thai relations under President-elect Donald Trump’s administration.

Ambassador urges wait-and-watch approach while easing worries about Trump’s likely protectionist policies; says close ties with Thailand, Asia to continue

BANGKOK: -- THAI ECONOMIC policymakers and business leaders should adopt a wait-and-watch attitude towards the incoming Trump administration’s trade and related policies, though free trade would still be a key component of the new government’s policies, US Ambassador Glyn Davies said.

Davies, who has been Washington’s top diplomat in Bangkok for the past 15 months, said at a roundtable with Thai media that US President-elect Donald Trump, who will be sworn in on Friday, is expected to seek good policy solutions once his new administration takes office later this week.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30304411

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-19

I despise Trump, but Thailand cannot complain if the US adopts protectionist policies with countries like Thailand. I understand countries like Thailand are poorer and at a disadvantage, but that is an internal matter that's no business of farangs.

If countries like Thailand want a better deal, then offer a better deal. I'm not saying it has to be 50/50. The US is far richer than Thailand, but any deals should be relative and fair to both sides. It's called mutual respect. 

Trump is a pretty unsuccessful businessman, who has messed over quite a few people. He sees no shame in it, so the Thai government's deal brokers will have to adapt and sacrifice or stay home. 

37 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

nothing free about trade with Thailand. import tariffs on nearly every good i can think of :(

the US should reply in kind

Nice contribution to the 2.4 Trillion tax revenue to pay for the 2% increase in defense budget.

One never knows with Trump. If anything could be said about him, he is unpredictable, and likely to not follow through on alot of his promises.

And I wonder while he was talking to the media, if he mentioned how protectionist Thai trade policies are. Extremely high import duties on many categories, difficult hurdles for foreigners to jump over, to work and operate businesses here, many categories of work prohibited for foreigners, tight restrictions on property ownership, and positively stupid duty on some categories like fine wine. Over 400% from what I am told. So, who is the protectionist nation in this equation, really? 

9 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

I'm pretty sure this guy is out of work within the next 48 hours.  Trump demanded the resignation of all foreign ambassadors.

wasn't that political appointed ambassadors?  Thailand has got a real ambassador, not a well connected political lad/lady appointed for favors done during an election.

16 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

wasn't that political appointed ambassadors?  Thailand has got a real ambassador, not a well connected political lad/lady appointed for favors done during an election.

All foreign ambassadors are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate, unless they are recess appointments.  Davies was appointed by Obama.  Trump demanded that all foreign ambassadors appointed by Obama resign on January 20.  Mr. Davies was just given his pink slip as he's an Obama appointee.   http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/10/50-politically-appointed-us-ambassadors-to-leave-before-inauguration-day.html