Bangkok Bank Debit Card....British Embassy Pension Letter

Rambo

I will shortly be requesting British Embassy for the usual pension confirmation letter addressed to Immigration  for extension of stay.  Given the Embassy now prefer payment by card I was hoping to be able to use my Bangkok Bank Be 1st Smart Debit Card to make the payment. Just wondered if this is actually possible given that it states on the debit card "Electronic Use Only". Has anybody had experience of using such a card with Embassy ? Is it possible/accepted by Embassy or should alternative payment options be used instead ?

Guidance would be appreciated...

I have just been through this exercise and the pension confirmation letter service from the British Embassy is only available by post (or was six months ago) and they have a credit card authorisation form which you have to complete to send along with all of the other information they require.

Of course you send it by registered mail so that the contents remain secure (hopefully). You would think that they would issue instructions for you to be able to transfer money online or similar, but haven't seen it yet?

Have checked with Embassy.....not possible to use debit card. They advise the debit card needs to be processed by machine which cannot be done with their system. They advise alternative is to obtain Bankers Draft  payable to the British Embassy and sent it along with application. Need to see how this can be done. Anyone used Bankers Draft to do this ? Is it possible to use any Branch of Bangkok Bank or must it be the one where my account is based ?

An alternative of course, is to go to the Honorary Irish Consul in Fishermans Way, Rawai, where the good lady will provide you (after giving the same proof of income as required by the UK Embassy) with a letter which is accepted by Phuket Immigration.   Have done this the past 3 years, and from recollection the cost is 1800 baht.

4 minutes ago, pagallim said:

An alternative of course, is to go to the Honorary Irish Consul in Fishermans Way, Rawai, where the good lady will provide you (after giving the same proof of income as required by the UK Embassy) with a letter which is accepted by Phuket Immigration.   Have done this the past 3 years, and from recollection the cost is 1800 baht.

Really?? That's great because it will save me time and hassle when I next want the letter and I'm never comfortable sending my credit card details via post, registered or not.

Thank you for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Have they stopped the money order option altogether? I know it's no longer listed as a payment option but when they first changed to this system you could still contact them and request payment by money order details. Personally I found it easier having it done by credit card.

Sent using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Very odd as only a month ago I paid using my Natwest debit (not credit) card.

it seems that the problem lies in with UK credit/debit cards accepted

but seemingly  Thai based cards are having problems  because the transaction is being process ed in the UK  

28 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

What is this letter for.?. I've just asked an old married Brit and he's never been to the Embassy except for Marry Papers years ago

It's for those who choose to extend their stay in Thailand, as married to a Thai person or as a retiree, using income rather than cash on deposit.

Just a FYI, the 'Electronic Use Only' just means cannot take imprint on old paper/carbon copy system as numbers are not raised.

Don't know why they bother putting on tbh, not seen anywhere using that method in nearly a decade.

You can use those cards online or in places with card processing terminal normally.

It is a VISA card. You can pay everywhere on this earth, where VISA is accepted. Maybe even in the UK.

The new Bangkok Bank cards aren't Visa anymore they are Union Pay or something to lazy to go get my wallet but 100% not VISA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

card authorisation form states visa debit accepted. I also noticed that they do not ask for the three numbers from the rear of the card on the form

I did read somewhere that other embassies/consulates could do the letter instead of the Uk embassy, but didn't really believe it, so maybe i was wrong

Edited by steve187

On 3.2.2017 at 10:28 PM, Sonol said:

The new Bangkok Bank cards aren't Visa anymore they are Union Pay or something to lazy to go get my wallet but 100% not VISA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, maybe yours. Mine IS VISA and just changed to a chip card.

Edited by Aachen