Corruption index hits six-year high

snoop1130

16 hours ago, JAG said:

You regard it (correctly ) as moving Thailand backwards.

They regard it as returning things to the way they should be.

Never forget who this junta government exists to serve - it is not the people.

You seriously think any of the previous governments this century were there to serve the people?

And that phenomenon is become a real issue in many so called Western Democracies too.

1 hour ago, hakancnx said:

A new positive thing now here in Chiang Mai. At police checkpoints, a desk where one pay the tickets....

IMG_5278.JPG

In India they used to have a mobile court, on a special bus, that could drive to a police check point. Offenders could go in front of the magistrate, plead guilty, get fined and be back on the road nice and quick.

You seriously think any of the previous governments this century were there to serve the people?

And that phenomenon is become a real issue in many so called Western Democracies too.

I think, if you assess "serving the people" on a "sliding scale" then certain governments this century scored higher than the present one.

I also think that if the democratic method of choosing the government had been followed throughout the first part of this century then the likelihood is that the concept of serving the people would figure increasingly when the choice was made.

As an aside, in "so called Western Democracies" the people can turf out a government if they consider it unsatisfactory. Not here...

Would be interesting to know how they know these numbers ...

As corruption is illegal and usually done in secret it is really surprising how they 

know all this stuff. Or do they just make it up ?

[Like all Governments get these numbers out of thin air]

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

34 minutes ago, JAG said:

I think, if you assess "serving the people" on a "sliding scale" then certain governments this century scored higher than the present one.

I also think that if the democratic method of choosing the government had been followed throughout the first part of this century then the likelihood is that the concept of serving the people would figure increasingly when the choice was made.

As an aside, in "so called Western Democracies" the people can turf out a government if they consider it unsatisfactory. Not here...

They can vote a government out at election times in the West. But as we've seen, politics has descended into a web of lies, deceit and canvassing on polices, manifestos and commitment that are simply ignored when in office when it suits. That is what were seeing reactions to now.

Yes, a sliding scale. And all in the very bottom of the lowest part of the scale, but some difference. Some did throw more crumbs than others to keep the minions happy. And of course some were thwarted in their ambitions to getting their hands on gigantic loans.

17 hours ago, waldroj said:

Obviously, corruption of the truth does not count in these UTCC figures !!! 

Had Mark Twain been reporting this, he probably would have said something like, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story". 

Isn't that what Trump says?

6 hours ago, smedly said:

perhaps all you geniuses would to share the details of how they work out this corruption figure considering "corruption" is something that is well hidden unless someone is caught in the act, now if this figure represents corruption that has been exposed then who is responsible for exposing it and surely the higher the better, put it this way, if they announced tomorrow that there was no corruption in Thailand would you believe them lol

I'm gob-smacked a learned fellow such as yourself hasn't discovered a nifty little tool on the Interweb called a "search engine". When I enter the phrase "how is corruption measured by transparency international" into a search engine I get a list of entries known as "results". You should try it some time

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Of course. This administration is probably doing less to fight corruption, than five of the past administrations combined. Despite the protestations to the contrary. When is the last time you heard about a top official, minister, high ranking policeman, or member of the Army brass brought up on charges, and convicted, and sentenced? It just does not happen. How about a CEO of one of the companies that traffic in slaves, or abuse their workers? It just does not happen here. They are all above the law. Way, way above the law. Any and all laws. 

Moving Thailand backwards. At an alarming pace. 

They are above the law everywhere. Look at the parade of companies and banks paying huge fines elsewhere in the world. Its a daily read on the news and then walking off to do their dirty deeds all over again. 

7 hours ago, smedly said:

perhaps all you geniuses would to share the details of how they work out this corruption figure considering "corruption" is something that is well hidden unless someone is caught in the act, now if this figure represents corruption that has been exposed then who is responsible for exposing it and surely the higher the better, put it this way, if they announced tomorrow that there was no corruption in Thailand would you believe them lol

Quite relevant remark!  From what I remember from articles I read in previous years, it is a survey made among members of the chamber of commerce who declare what they had to pay in bribes during the year. So it is declarative evidence, not evidence based on investigation of corruption cases. It is not more or less reliable than the statements of the respondents. Plus the level of trust in the neutrality of the organisations financing and doing the survey. As any survey, it is subject to a margin of error.

By experience, the margin of error is probably at least 5%, which is greater than the increase observed from the previous year.

10 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Aren't the generals part of the problem? Or it's not corruption if carried out by or to the benefit of a military officer?

Corruption not here in Thaland we do not have that happen here

Police cheat in exams and pay B400.000 but that is not corruption its thainess for the advancement of happiness

The army buy B--b checkers that don't work and fill their pockets with AAT (army added tax) but that is army business not yours

The navy buy Subs (maybe) That sink and they will like the aircraft carrier has

Air force buy drones that sit in an hangers an do nothing and cost $1.3million more than the company sold them to them for. um more AAT

So please do not confuse Corruption with Thainess Happyness or AAT there is a difference

TO SOME

1 minute ago, wakeupplease said:

Corruption not here in Thaland we do not have that happen here

Police cheat in exams and pay B400.000 but that is not corruption its thainess for the advancement of happiness

The army buy B--b checkers that don't work and fill their pockets with AAT (army added tax) but that is army business not yours

The navy buy Subs (maybe) That sink and they will like the aircraft carrier has

Air force buy drones that sit in big hangers an do nothing and cost $1.3million more than the company sold them to them for. um more AAT

So please do not confuse Corruption with Thainess Happyness or AAT there is a difference

TO SOME

There was an article in the BP the other day about the Rolls Royce airplane engine corruption scandal which involved 100's of millions of baht over several years. It is being investigated apparently. Alongside were several other corruption stories from the past all of which had been 'investigated' and arising from courts outside Thailand - in countries where the courts are dependable - yet I did not see reported that even one person had been imprisoned or brought to justice.  There was also the case of the Tsunami charity funding that was stolen in Phuket. 

These people are traitors to Thailand yet there seems to be zero effort to punish even when caught. In such circumstances how anyone can stand up and say there is ANY effort to fight corruption here is an amazement  They clearly don't care a hoot because the beneficiaries areally usually thise in power. Strange that corruption brings the most corrupt to float on top and perpetuate the rape of their own countrymen. Traitors every corrupt one of them.

On 1/19/2017 at 8:01 PM, Moonmoon said:

What??? This is not possible, the junta are the saviours n have introduce reforms to stop corruption n there is the law to execute if corruption exceeds a billion baht? What happen?

That was simply a proposal for a law. Will the law ever be written? I seriously doubt it. And if it is written, what about the worms who steal 500 million? And is that billion figure an annual figure? If so, stealing 900 million a year remains legal? And does it relate to current officials, or just past officials in the "other" party? It seems that the only people who ever get brought up on charges, by this administration are former officials. When was the last time you heard about a current official in the Army brass, a top policeman, a minister, or governor, a CEO for a corporation that engages in the use of slavery, or human trafficking, of which there are hundreds, or anyone else in a similar position being brought up on charges, arrested, and convicted? 

As always I revert to my applicable motto. "Moving Thailand backwards, at an alarming pace".

If the Junta say's that corruption will be reduced then make no mistake figures will be published showing a decrease in graft, much the same as the Minister for sports and tourism if his office projects an increase of 21% of visitors, guess what next year Thailand will have an increase of at least 21% of visitors!!!
TIT.

And here i actually thought the PM had cleaned up somewhat... I guess the money just went into different pockets if not the same. Tragic. See little hope for this country ;(

Edited by hobz

On 1/20/2017 at 7:05 PM, timewilltell said:

There was an article in the BP the other day about the Rolls Royce airplane engine corruption scandal which involved 100's of millions of baht over several years. It is being investigated apparently. Alongside were several other corruption stories from the past all of which had been 'investigated' and arising from courts outside Thailand - in countries where the courts are dependable - yet I did not see reported that even one person had been imprisoned or brought to justice.  There was also the case of the Tsunami charity funding that was stolen in Phuket. 

These people are traitors to Thailand yet there seems to be zero effort to punish even when caught. In such circumstances how anyone can stand up and say there is ANY effort to fight corruption here is an amazement  They clearly don't care a hoot because the beneficiaries areally usually thise in power. Strange that corruption brings the most corrupt to float on top and perpetuate the rape of their own countrymen. Traitors every corrupt one of them.

Everyone knows that in star wars the dark side of the force is the strong one. It takes some kind of miracle to win against the evil empire.