Thai man with altered police ticket says online: "No wonder everybody hates the police"

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I would sure complain..not because of the fine but because of it's suicide to drive on the left lane where all motocy's drive against traffic and cars coming out of driveways won't stop for you.

55,in the right lane they will run straight over the top of you.One dead FIL is proof of that.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Later in the story a policeman claims there were other transgressions such as not wearing a helmet. These were not cited in the ticket though.

The fine for not carrying a copy of registration papers is anything in a range stipulated by the law. I suspect this is from 200 Baht to 500 Baht. Not 100% sure about that. If I am right, the initial fine was outside the range, the station sergeant spotted it and corrected it, bloke kicked up a fuss so they upped it again to the max.

in pattaya I believe the fine for not having registration papers (which I disagree with having to carry) is 400baht, couple that to all the other tickets this guy should have got then he should have been facing a fine of at least 2000baht

You should not have to carry registration papers unless (like in this case) there is no way to prove this guy owns the bike and even if he had registration papers or a copy - how do they know they are for this particular motorbike - i.e. no number plate, if a vehicle does not have a number plate then they should have the right to seize it and hold it until the owner can prove it is his.

Iif it had a number plate then they should be able to do some simple checks - owner - if stolen - outstanding fines etc  - even then it might not be his motorbike, the whole system is just one big scrambled mess of disconnects and stupidity 

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I don't live in BKK and I don't ride a motorbike, but how does not having registration equate to 6 misdemeanors?   What is the "normal" fine for not having registration?

I got fined 900 baht but then again Im not Thai

6 minutes ago, fruitman said:

why do you think i drive on the right and not on the left.. But i know im in the wrong.. so i pay the fines.

6 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I got stopped on the motocy last month, i didn't drive left he said.

I showed him the row of buses/taxi's all parked on the 2 left lanes and told him i can't drive there if they park on the road.

Pai krab, pai....ok bye bye

actually in the Thai highway code they have the same rules as the UK about the correct way to overtake another vehicle (with some exceptions) and it is on the right this applies to all vehicles including motorbikes, when I ride on Thai roads (13 years now and almost 100k covered) I ride as I would in the UK, the only time I was ever stopped by police for riding on the right lane was a long time ago in Bangkok - I was turning right at the next junction

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not if you keep up with the speed of traffic.. not hard to do on a 650cc big bike. 

The whole problem with motobikes on main roads is that some of them drive very slow (without helmet and with kids standing on the bike). 

Thailand should allow big bikes who easy go 100 km/hr on the mainroads.

The Thai hells angels also drive on the mainroads , they won't drive their harleys on the frontroads.

He was driving the wrong way with no helmet, no licence plate and no 'papers', which probably includes no driving licence. This jerk should have been fined a lot more than B500. That much for each offence would be more appropriate and the bike should be impounded till he can prove ownership and produce a valid driving licence to drive it away. He is a danger to others and himself. B100 fines only encourage this irresponsible behaviour.

Edited by Dogmatix

Yeah , just like the time the Young bloke got stopped for no seat belt, in Chiang Mai,   (,U can't tell them they know it all ) anyway  copped a 250 Bht fine , then I watched the cop put the money in his back pocket , when we got to where we were going, I asked, did anyone get a receipt , everyone laughed ,  he muttered police corrupt, excepted practice..............................................:coffee1: 

Those additional charges seem a little too 'convenient' and 'after-the-fact' ... good chance there's a bit of post hoc justification going on here. Seems like a lot of people here assume that these other charges were legit and that the guy should have simply paid up. I'm not so sure. Some of the charges look more serious than a lack of registration papers so it's strange they wouldn't make it on to the ticket unless the police were feeling particularly generous that night... doubtful. Guess this could be resolved if the man posted a photo of his bike showing plates (the one charge that could be verified).

He should have driven on the correct side and have a liscense plate, insurance papers etc. 
I think 3,000 baht would have been fine, 500 for each of the offenses. 
Payable via atm into audited account. Non-payment means go to court and end up paying legal costs too...

4 hours ago, z42 said:

I think the most surprising thing about this story is that there is no mention of defamation, computer crimes act, or some RTP organ grinder talking about tarnishing the police's image......

Defamation law doesnt apply to Officials while on duty and somebody report or complain about them.

I remember a few years back Farangs being stopped in pattaya by the dozens,Not understanding what the 200 baht fine was for.They thought that they had done something wrong,So when they went to pay the fine they asked what they had done ,so as they would know the rule.Everyone was for not wearing a helmet.Very strange that they were all wearing one when they were stopped.

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

6 misdemeanours, and 500baht is considered a proper fine!  Time shouild be provided to produce a driving licence and registration book, but riding without a helmet, no number plate and driving the wrong way should each carry a minimum 5,000baht fine in my view. Heavy penalties are the only way to make the ignorant  masses respect the law of the land.

40 minutes ago, StefanBBK said:

He should have driven on the correct side and have a liscense plate, insurance papers etc. 
I think 3,000 baht would have been fine, 500 for each of the offenses. 
Payable via atm into audited account. Non-payment means go to court and end up paying legal costs too...

So, you think he should be  fined 3000 baht?  The fine would then equate to somewhere between  2 weeks to 1 month of wages in fines for what most Thai's do normally every day?  Many of us live here because it isn't a nanny state. 

Edited by aussiebrian
more informnation

4 hours ago, honoluludave said:

Have always thought that their method of writing the ticket and collecting the fine was just an invitation for corruption. There is never a judge to hear evidence from both sides. The police are both judge and jury. And of course they are never wrong. What is needed is a traffic court system. But I really do not think Thailand is ready for that kind of system. 

Maybe it doesn't need a judge.  If you're fined for a small misdemeanour, or the speed camera system sends you a notice of fine, then it should be paid directly to Thai Treasury, and not other crooks.

As with a recent National park income going up 300% with certain staff departing, the Thai Treasury could no doubt make equal gains if sticky fingers weren't involved.

6 hours ago, optad said:

Nantapong, you paid the fine not the bribe and spilling now. Good.

Most of us are happy to pay the fine if we're wrong but the job creation rules suck. 

what??? Gezz ...Try to make a bit more sense when using the English language

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I don't live in BKK and I don't ride a motorbike, but how does not having registration equate to 6 misdemeanors?   What is the "normal" fine for not having registration?

Did you read the story, there were more offences committed 

2 hours ago, Maggusoil said:

Problem with this is, if the police can't collect the fines the government will have to pay them a decent wage to compensate for not being able to fend for themselves.

That's a massive misconception. You're looking at corruption as a business model. As a business model, corruption never has and never will work. It doesn't work in any form. 

Two points as to why corruption doesn't work in any way, shape or form;

1. Fines are supposed to be a deterrent. If simply being able to give a police officer a little money to line his boss' pocket, no one will worry as much about being fined. If people don't worry as much about fines, they drive more carelessly which can lead to injuring and killing other road users. That leads to state funds that are lining big boss' pockets not being available for hospitals, etc. Departments become more in debt and salaries for low level employees kept to a minimum. 

2. Having to pay a bigger fine officially means people will be more careful. Most people can't afford to pay 500 baht, etc, for driving carelessly. So, they drive more safely and we have fewer accidents meaning less burden on the state funds. Also, the fines collected officially go back into the system; meaning there is more money available for better training and higher wages. Instead of the top boss having a few houses and cars with all the bling, he/she has one house and one standard car relative to his or her salary. That money lost in corruption goes back to the lower level police officers to receive better training and have a salary they can comfortably live on. 

Corruption is not a culture thing. It's an education thing. If more people knew just how cancerous corruption is (in all countries) they'd be a lot more vocal and proactive in making sure it's eradicated. Corruption merely benefits the very very few and completely disadvantages the majority. The majority being massive. 

Edited by rkidlad