Walking Street bars cited for pollution, inadequate fire exits

Rimmer

Walking Street bars cited for pollution, inadequate fire exits

1225-N9-PIC1.jpg

PATTAYA:-- Pattaya and military officials claim at least one Walking Street business is releasing untreated sewage into the ocean behind the nightlife strip.

Representatives from city hall and the National Council for Peace and Order inspected 101 Walking Street businesses Jan. 10 following complaints about polluted water and dirty beaches behind Walking Street.

Acting Mayor Chanatpong Sriviset said businesses have been discharging waste water into the sea illegally.

While they were there, the officials checked the heavily modified row houses for adequate fire exits, fire extinguishers and general cleanliness, along with the volume of music being played.

As suspected by many customers for years, many of the go-go bars and discos were found to have inadequate or no emergency exits and fire-fighting equipment

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/walking-street-bars-cited-pollution-inadequate-fire-exits-161982

PATTAYA MAIL 2017-01-20

No emergency exits, no fire-fighting equipment, sewage direct into the ocean, generally unclean...but they do have pretty potplants. 

And they have been hauled before the authorities to explain how they will clean it up. Surely the authorities can tell them how to clean them up.

Always best to see first how the owners plan to fix the problem so a negotiated "settlement" can be reached. Far more rewarding than issuing non-negotiable clean-up orders.

4 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Good idea having fire exits.

Hadn't crossed anybodys mind before at City Hall.

I have pointed this out on many occasions over the past decade or so, I have pic's of one bar where the glass door with panic bars were chained up, it seem they were protecting customers jumping in to the cesspit.

Come on get real this is Thailand no one cares about Health and saftey and trival things like fire exits.
it won't happen, well.......not to often.

Including enforcement of no smoking inside most of the bars. Get a kick out of guys gals sitting at tables right next to large no smoking signs. Doesn't help the risk of fire and that's for sure.

maybe easier to say that nobody have emergency exit doors, nobody observe the correct level of music and I know only one that is smoke free all the other give you a ashtray instead of remember you the ban of smoke inside

I wonder why these 101 businesses aren't being as ruthlessly pursued as the deck chair vendors,food cart sellers,beach massage,speed boat operators,hotel swimming pool,beach side shacks and full restaraunts,after all they too have encroached on public land.

On 20/01/2017 at 8:52 PM, jacko45k said:

These are the illegal constructions that have been discussed a lot previously.

Telling them they need fire exits and that it is perhaps only the heads which are encroaching gives them validity!

The only way most of them building could ever meet reasonable fire & safety standards would be to knock them down and start again.

They are a tragedy waiting to happen...

Edited by Basil B

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

The only way most of them building could ever meet reasonable fire & safety standards would be to knock them down and start again.

They are a tragedy waiting to happen...

What about the buildings on the other side of walking street

are they not a tragedy waiting to happen too,?

What about all the rest of the building in Pattaya?

Solution-Bulldoze all of Pattaya and start again... 

14 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Possibly...

But at least they may have a back emergency exit, if not chained or obstructed.

29 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

The difference with the other side is titledeeds.

On 21/01/2017 at 3:46 AM, Basil B said:

I have pointed this out on many occasions over the past decade or so, I have pic's of one bar where the glass door with panic bars were chained up, it seem they were protecting customers jumping in to the cesspit.

But they havent been needed once in the last ten years.  Rather than fired oops I wish the issue was about smoking.  A filthy dangerous habit and a fire hazard.