Lawyer says relatives of woman who died after ambulance was blocked can sue for damages

webfact

Lawyer says relatives of woman who died after ambulance was blocked can sue for damages

3p.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A leading Thai lawyer has told reporters that the relatives of the woman who died when an ambulance was unable to get to her after a minor traffic scrape can sue the pick-up driver.

The pick-up driver insisted that the ambulance remained at the scene of the accident to wait for the insurance broker. Another ambulance was summoned but it was too late to save the woman.

However, in a latest twist police have claimed that the news is biased and incorrect and that the woman could not have been saved, reports Daily News.

Lawyer Sarancha Srichonwattana said that there is a law which means that people must give way to an ambulance. The relatives of the dead woman, aged 74, can sue the pick-up driver for damages. Damages would be at the discretion of the court and depend on factors such as the age of the victim, if they were working or not and what their financial standing was.

The law regarding making way for ambulances was promulgated in 1978 and is referred in Article 76 of a broader regulation.

It states that pedestrians, motorists, riders and those herding animals must give way to ambulances that have their sirens sounding. Failure to do so can result in a 500 baht fine.

Meanwhile, police said that the woman who died was suffering from kidney disease and had previously undergone surgery. They said that there was no truth to press reports that she could have been saved had the original ambulance got though.

She had already died earlier, they said.

Police said they settled the matter of the collision by fining both the ambulance driver and the pick-up driver 400 baht each.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-20

Sad to see tha lady died. This is not the problem,the problem being that a person could stop an ambulance or any other emergency vehicle so he can satisfy his insurance company. It's a total lack of compassion and understanding on behalf of the man that stopped the ambulance. He could have got the rego number,reported it to the hospital. And as most people have car cameras now,it would have been on video.

But he chose to be more worried about a scratch on his bumper bar,than the life or lives the ambulance was on its way to help or save.it just goes to show the mentality of some People. Next time my friend I hope it's not someone close to you that needs an emergency veichle, oh how much would you cry and complain. Or would you be happy to not say anything at all.

32 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

Sad to see tha lady died. This is not the problem,the problem being that a person could stop an ambulance or any other emergency vehicle so he can satisfy his insurance company. It's a total lack of compassion and understanding on behalf of the man that stopped the ambulance. He could have got the rego number,reported it to the hospital. And as most people have car cameras now,it would have been on video.

But he chose to be more worried about a scratch on his bumper bar,than the life or lives the ambulance was on its way to help or save.it just goes to show the mentality of some People. Next time my friend I hope it's not someone close to you that needs an emergency veichle, oh how much would you cry and complain. Or would you be happy to not say anything at all.

They better sue the ambulancedriver...after all HE stopped the ambulance for a man without any official reason to stop it.

" Meanwhile, police said that the woman who died was suffering from kidney disease and had previously undergone surgery. They said that there was no truth to press reports that she could have been saved had the original ambulance got though. "

These people can't even do their own jobs 'policing'. Now they're suddenly doctors too!  :clap2:

34 minutes ago, fruitman said:

They better sue the ambulancedriver...after all HE stopped the ambulance for a man without any official reason to stop it.

So you know for sure that the driver knew, categorically, the woman was already dead at the point of the journey to hospital where this incident occured?

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

So you know for sure that the driver knew, categorically, the woman was already dead at the point of the journey to hospital where this incident occured?

It was his job to bring the patient to the hospital ASAP...he didn't do that because he stopped for an idiot.

An hour ago there was a huge trafficjam, the ambulance couldn't go through again....

You have to be joking?? 500 baht fine for blocking an ambulance deliberately?? in any other society the driver (blocking) would be up for manslaughter if a person passed away and then thrown into jail for a very long time... get a grip Thailand, the year is 2017 not 1817!!

13 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

You have to be joking?? 500 baht fine for blocking an ambulance deliberately?? in any other society the driver (blocking) would be up for manslaughter if a person passed away and then thrown into jail for a very long time... get a grip Thailand, the year is 2017 not 1817!!

The bigger joke was fining the ambulance driver as well. Now, they will know that they have no priority on the roads.

The Over lying fact here is that Thai law like in the west is you give way to an ambulance , if the ambulance was on an emergency that van driver is in the wrong, the ambulance had priority and if it was involved in an accident, the van driver is still in the wrong because the ambulance has right of way, and if able to, it should have ignored the van driver and continued on it's way, the van driver could be in big trouble if it can be establish that the patient may have survived, everyone knows that no one in Thai gets out of the way of emergency vehicles , I don't know how many times I've told my crowd to pull over , the sirens screaming right behind U and they look at U like you've got two heads, this will be an interesting case if it ever goes ahead...................................................:coffee1:

However, in a latest twist police have claimed that the news is biased and incorrect and that the woman could not have been saved, reports Daily News.

This has to be false. This has to be a weak, face saving measure, that is so flimsy, and so fake, that even a 5 year old could see right through it. And how do you fine an ambulance driver for scratching a car, when they are trying to save someone's life, and a creep, insect, worm does not get out the way? The ambulance driver should have knocked this worm unconscious, and fled the scene. There is no penalty for fleeing the scene of a crime anyway. Why not? It would have been the viable solution to this mess. 

Hope this guy gets sued for a fortune. He deserves whatever fate befalls him. A human worm. 

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

However, in a latest twist police have claimed that the news is biased and incorrect and that the woman could not have been saved, reports Daily News.

This has to be false. This has to be a weak, face saving measure, that is so flimsy, and so fake, that even a 5 year old could see right through it. And how do you fine an ambulance driver for scratching a car, when they are trying to save someone's life, and a creep, insect, worm does not get out the way? The ambulance driver should have knocked this worm unconscious, and fled the scene. There is no penalty for fleeing the scene of a crime anyway. Why not? It would have been the viable solution to this mess. 

Hope this guy gets sued for a fortune. He deserves whatever fate befalls him. A human worm. 

This says it all

but just want to add

Thailand today is a cesspit, its all about me, myself and I

I guess this happens when you get a bunch of thugs running the country with no clue about Human Rights or peoples lives, one day they will wake up and realise You Only Live Once and that is for a very short time.

They should put this guy on national TV and get him to explain to the country why he did what he did and see if there is any sense between his two ears

Thankfully my time in Thai  has ended, but still love the country so sad, it used to be a pleasure to visit.

12 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

This says it all

but just want to add

Thailand today is a cesspit, its all about me, myself and I

I guess this happens when you get a bunch of thugs running the country with no clue about Human Rights or peoples lives, one day they will wake up and realise You Only Live Once and that is for a very short time.

They should put this guy on national TV and get him to explain to the country why he did what he did and see if there is any sense between his two ears

Thankfully my time in Thai  has ended, but still love the country so sad, it used to be a pleasure to visit.

Many of us still love it here. The quality of my life on a daily basis, is far, far higher than it would be in the states. Most of the Thai people I deal with are pleasant, kind, cheerful, light hearted, and helpful. Can't say that about most Americans I deal with back home. But, I live in a small town. Get to enjoy gourmet food, for a fraction of what I would pay back home, and do not have to put up with much of the nonsense I would have to put up with back in the US. In exchange for that, I have to deal with a broken political, judicial, and legal system. And no functional traffic safety system. But, it just does not effect me that much on a daily basis. Until something better comes along, I will continue to love my life here, and most of the people I deal with, on a daily basis. 

Edited by spidermike007

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Many of us still love it here. The quality of my life on a daily basis, is far, far higher than it would be in the states. Most of the Thai people I deal with are pleasant, kind, cheerful, light hearted, and helpful. Can't say that about most Americans I deal with back home. But, I live in a small town. Get to enjoy gourmet food, for a fraction of what I would pay back home, and do not have to put up with much of the nonsense I would have to put up with back in the US. In exchange for that, I have to deal with a broken political, judicial, and legal system. And no functional traffic safety system. But, it just does not effect me that much on a daily basis. Until something better comes along, I will continue to love my life here, and most of the people I deal with, on a daily basis. 

My last line said it all and yes I do miss many very very good Thai friends

but you summed it up for me

I have to deal with a broken political, judicial, and legal system. And no functional traffic safety system

A small town is the answer in LOS

I cannot comment on your home turf as not from there, but what I found close by is so much better than Thailand I hate to say but it is fact.

On 1/20/2017 at 11:51 AM, webfact said:

Meanwhile, police said that the woman who died was suffering from kidney disease and had previously undergone surgery. They said that there was no truth to press reports that she could have been saved had the original ambulance got though.

She had already died earlier, they said.

So the pick-up driver was telepathic. As, apparently, were the police.