Baht will likely fluctuate 2017 due to uncertainty about US politics

webfact

Baht will likely fluctuate this year

bat1.jpg

BANGKOK, 20 January 2017 (NNT) - Executives of commercial banks have forecast that the baht currency will likely fluctuate more than last year mainly due to the uncertainty about the policy of the new US President. 

Executive of Kasikornbank Kiit Charornkitchaichana said the US politics was the key factor affecting the Thai currency during this period. This year, the baht will have a tendency to fluctuate either by depreciating and appreciating quickly. The bank therefore forecast the baht’s value this year will stay around 35-37 baht to the USD, said the executive. 

Meanwhile, TMB Analytics of TMB Bank has predicted that this year’s baht currency will be on the depreciation side although it appreciated against the USD in the last two weeks. This baht appreciation was the result of USD currency speculation, said the bank. 

TBM added that the Thai economy and other economies in the Asian region will rebound this year, leading to capital inflows. The baht will likely move between 35.50 – 36.80 baht to the USD. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-01-20

Central bank awaits Trump’s policy before determining effect on GDP

BANGKOK, 20 January 2016 (NNT) – The Bank of Thailand is now waiting to hear clear policy of United States President Donald Trump before determining a potential effect on Thailand's GDP. 

Bank of Thailand (BOT) Governor Veerathai Santiprabhob said the inauguration of the new US President is making a significant change to the world in trade and investment policies, many of which, he said, could affect positively. 

Mr. Veerathai said if Donald Trump achieved the US economic stimulation goals and managed to improve the US economy, Thailand would positively benefit. But, he said, the more restrictive international trade policy might probably cause an adverse effect to the Thai economy. 

He said the Bank of Thailand will review in detail the new US economic policies before analyzing the potential effect on the Thai economic growth. 

The BOT governor admitted the currency exchange rate will fluctuate more largely due to the strengthening of the US dollar in late 2016, followed by the weakening of the currency in the past two weeks. 

He said Thai investors in the foreign exchange market will have to be more capable of managing risks and fluctuations in the future.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-01-20

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai economy and other economies in the Asian region will rebound this year, leading to capital inflows.

So says the TBM Bank gurus after gazing into their economic crystal ball. Asian economies other than Thailand don't need to rebound. Most of them are doing very nicely thank you and will probably stay on their upward trend. It is mainly Thailand's economy that needs a rebound if in fact there is going to be one. Countries ruled by military juntas tend not to be a great attraction for capital inflows.

Financial forecaster.jpg

I highly recommend accumulating USD. With President Trump, there will be massive inflow of money into USA to invest in US based companies. Mexico will get hit very hard. Anybody manufacturing in Mexico and shipping product into USA will encounter big problems. China is highly vulnerable.

7 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I highly recommend accumulating USD. With President Trump, there will be massive inflow of money into USA to invest in US based companies. Mexico will get hit very hard. Anybody manufacturing in Mexico and shipping product into USA will encounter big problems. China is highly vulnerable.

The US has been accumulating gold for the past six months, more going in than out for the first time in a long time, that means some people think the dollar is going to go down.  I shouldn't have too much faith in Trump, he may have a lot of money, but if he had just held on to his daddy's investments he would be worth roughly twice as much, in reality he is a poor investor.

Edited by Shawn0000

A strong baht will ruin thai export plus tourism. Within a few years those sectors will be damaged badly and maybe can't recover from that.

On top of that the Chinese will loose export and income.

A strong baht is not good at all for Thailand. Yes it's good for the ones who go on holidays abroad.

33 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Dream on. 

20 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

????

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gold-reserves

Unchanged since 2007 at 8,133.4 tons

Maybe you mean US investors rather than the nation.

USGoldReserves.jpg

I just mean totals in and out, we have no way of knowing who it is coming from or going to, certainly not the reserve though, most likely shops speculating that there will be a rush on sales post Trumps inauguration considering he is rather volatile.

18 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

????

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gold-reserves

Unchanged since 2007 at 8,133.4 tons

Maybe you mean US investors rather than the nation.

I also wonder how much of the influx (alleged influx- but I have no reason to doubt Shawn's statement- I just don't know) is physical gold and how much is paper gold.

39 minutes ago, impulse said:

I also wonder how much of the influx (alleged influx- but I have no reason to doubt Shawn's statement- I just don't know) is physical gold and how much is paper gold.

Apparently is was physical gold, more came into the US in one month, it was sometime in the Autumn, than had left the US in the last couple years, it was I believe, in Money magazine that I read it, and it was astounding the experts who had never seen anything like it.  The only explanation given was that it could be due to forthcoming market uncertainty due to the election, but that doesn't seem to be happening anyway now that Trump is here as gold continues to fall.

7 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Apparently is was physical gold, more came into the US in one month, it was sometime in the Autumn, than had left the US in the last couple years, it was I believe, in Money magazine that I read it, and it was astounding the experts who had never seen anything like it.  The only explanation given was that it could be due to forthcoming market uncertainty due to the election, but that doesn't seem to be happening anyway now that Trump is here as gold continues to fall.

This might be part of what you're referring to - surge of gold imports from Switzerland in April 2016 into the US but followed by almost equal amount as surge export from US in May 2016. My chart showed annual amounts.

https://srsroccoreport.com/whats-going-on-record-swiss-gold-flow-into-the-united-states/

8 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

This might be part of what you're referring to - surge of gold imports from Switzerland in April 2016 into the US but followed by almost equal amount as surge export from US in May 2016. My chart showed annual amounts.

https://srsroccoreport.com/whats-going-on-record-swiss-gold-flow-into-the-united-states/

It looks to be to the same effect, but that is all about May imports, nothing about April imports which were average and nothing about May exports balancing it as you claim, and what chart of annual amounts, all you have posted is this and the US reserve amount.

1 minute ago, Shawn0000 said:

It looks to be to the same effect, but that is all about May imports, nothing about April imports which were average and nothing about May exports balancing it as you claim, and what chart of annual amounts, all you have posted is this and the US reserve amount.

Guess you'll need to find your source yourself.

6 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I've been trying, I also want to see the things you just mentioned, you say that April imports were matched by May exports but posted something that shows May imports to be many many times greater than April exports, in fact higher than many years previous exports combined, so what were you referring to or did you misread it?

26 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Well, it didn't stop in May, imports were way up on the averages through June and July.

http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1474812060.php

in fact it was still happening in November, another 20 tons imported.

https://www.bullionstar.com/blogs/gold-market-charts/gold-market-charts-november-2016/

Edited by Shawn0000