Navy torpedoes appeal for Phuket beach sun loungers to return

rooster59

Navy torpedoes appeal for Phuket beach sun loungers to return 

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1484910112_1-org.jpg

Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup’s call to repeal the sun lounger ban has been sunk by provincial authorities. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: The appeal by Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup to allow sun loungers in a restricted area on Patong Beach has been torpedoed by provincial authorities with a resounding, “No”.

“They are banned. Sun loungers are not allowed on any beach in Phuket,” a resolute Phuket Vice Governor Snith Sriwihok told The Phuket News this week.

“If the authorities will not allow sun or sand loungers, then they should at least clearly write the beach rules denoting what is – and what isn’t allowed – in the 10% zones at all Phuket beaches,” Mayor Chalermluck told a meeting at Provincial Hall last Thursday (Jan 12).

“The vendors created these ‘sand loungers’ for the tourists. If the tourists did not ask for them, the operators would not have made them,” she said.

“I request that the provincial authorities give 10% (of the beach area) to allow operators to provide beach chairs and umbrellas,” she added. (See story here.)

Mayor Chalermluck’s call for provincial authorities to allow sun loungers with umbrellas back on at least part of Patong Beach came after the Royal Thai Navy on Dec 23 ordered vendors at the beach to remove “sand loungers” – sun beds sculpted from the beach sand itself – as the Navy had deemed the creative sun beds to be in breach of the “beach-management rules”.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/navy-torpedoes-appeal-for-phuket-beach-sun-loungers-to-return-60715.php#r5gOI7Mlybm0wRy9.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-21

55 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

So, what happens if a tourist were to take their own deckchairs to one of the 10% zones... guess, 8 letters, starts with a "v"

Plenty tourists take their own folding chairs to the beaches. No problem. Plenty Thais rent them as tourists pass by on the way to the sand.

19 minutes ago, Damaz6052 said:

Why does the Navy have a say in this? This is a matter for TAT and the tourism minster! 

Maybe you are not aware that the military took over the government of Thailand a couple of years ago, so military are in charge and as their is no army base in Phuket and the Navy do have a base here = Naval authorities in control over Phuket

Edited by LivinginKata

I'm tying to imagine circumstances that would compel the RN,USN,MN,PLAN or JMSDF to involve themselves with deckchairs on the beach.

Really, how totally back to front/upside down/inside out does this demonstrate this society to be?

"We joined the Navy to see the world and what did we see?.........we saw deckchairs"   (Apologies to Irving Berlin).

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

So that's the clarity Mayor Chalermluck was seeking.

I don't care for the overcrowding of these sunbeds as it was, however I do understand why people would want them.

Intrigued as to the Navy s agenda on this?

CONTROL

And Mr P told them to do so.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

I'm tying to imagine circumstances that would compel the RN,USN,MN,PLAN or JMSDF to involve themselves with deckchairs on the beach.

Really, how totally back to front/upside down/inside out does this demonstrate this society to be?

"We joined the Navy to see the world and what did we see?.........we saw deckchairs"   (Apologies to Irving Berlin).

Not so hard to imagine the military back home being called in under martial law if the civilian authorities were unable or unwilling to keep order or enforce laws.

National Guard used to get called in all the time for riots when I was growing up in the turbulent '60s.    Also recall the National Guard being called in when local cops were unwilling to stop people from beating up black kids showing up at school.  I imagine they'd have called in the Navy Reserve or Coast Guard had the riots happened at the beach.

I can't for the life of me understand why the local authorities are not capable of running a beach ? Yes, I know all the reasons, corruption, backhanders, nature issues,  tax evasion , but Phuket is a tourist destination which advertises its beaches massively all over the world. So the authorities ( Navy included) should also consider  these tourists needs ! It is ridiculous to expect tourists to sit under a scorching sun on a beach with no protection, it is indeed very stupid to expect this ! I suggest that  an intelligent representative from the TAT ( yes, I know that's difficult) and government make a few trips abroad to beach destinations that have organised 

Beach chair cooperatives. An area  decided depending on the size of the beach, say , 30 % of Patong beach. This area is cut up into so many pieces that are then rented out monthly to Phuket people for a decided amount to be paid to the municipality. This is where the local authorities come in, checking on these beach chairs to see that the quota is kept, and that the rent is paid To the municipality. No backhanders, no under the table dealings. Surely, there are people compétant enough to carry this through ? The Navy should give it à one year trail period , if only for the sake of the thousands of tourists that try to make their beach holiday a memorable time, without sunburns, 

and aching backs from sitting on the sand. Yes, we all know the beach belongs to the people, but Thais do not sit on the beach during the day time ! If the authorities want to do something good for Phuket , then let them clean the island up for a start, bring in  public transport needed for All people , and stop the violent attacks on tourists.

How about " Go Clean, not Mean " ? 

1 hour ago, geisha said:

I can't for the life of me understand why the local authorities are not capable of running a beach ? Yes, I know all the reasons, corruption, backhanders, nature issues,  tax evasion , but Phuket is a tourist destination which advertises its beaches massively all over the world. So the authorities ( Navy included) should also consider  these tourists needs ! It is ridiculous to expect tourists to sit under a scorching sun on a beach with no protection, it is indeed very stupid to expect this ! I suggest that  an intelligent representative from the TAT ( yes, I know that's difficult) and government make a few trips abroad to beach destinations that have organised 

Beach chair cooperatives. An area  decided depending on the size of the beach, say , 30 % of Patong beach. This area is cut up into so many pieces that are then rented out monthly to Phuket people for a decided amount to be paid to the municipality. This is where the local authorities come in, checking on these beach chairs to see that the quota is kept, and that the rent is paid To the municipality. No backhanders, no under the table dealings. Surely, there are people compétant enough to carry this through ? The Navy should give it à one year trail period , if only for the sake of the thousands of tourists that try to make their beach holiday a memorable time, without sunburns, 

and aching backs from sitting on the sand. Yes, we all know the beach belongs to the people, but Thais do not sit on the beach during the day time ! If the authorities want to do something good for Phuket , then let them clean the island up for a start, bring in  public transport needed for All people , and stop the violent attacks on tourists.

How about " Go Clean, not Mean " ? 

Agree with you and you make some good points...........however to do the above requires some logical thinking, common sense, understanding of the tourist market, how to offer a service and a lack of corruption.

Not seen here or in any part of Thailand methinks!

Municipality already gets the rent.  My friends gf had a concession in the Pian days.   You needed to be registered in Phuket for some reason and lucky enough to get chosen.  If memory serves, yearly fee of 600k baht.  Hire 2 Burma boys and off you go. The hard part for her was to limit the pilfering by the boys.  She barely got out of bed before noon.  Hair / makeup added a couple more hours before heading down to check.  "No have customers this morning " was often the reply.  She still made tons of money.

So if the beach rental fees could be pooled, that might be 10 - 15 M baht per year.  That would more than cover permanent professional well paid lifeguards, beach / common ground cleaning,  as well as upkeep of the one toilet.  Any extra, and it will be substantial, can be used for additional facilities (showers, toilets, etc...).

Unfortunately, this will never happen.  

19 hours ago, Enoon said:

This is because you have no idea what you are talking about, I was confronted with this intolerable situation on a daily basis.

23 hours ago, Damaz6052 said:

Why does the Navy have a say in this? This is a matter for TAT and the tourism minster! 

Short answer is the Navy is part of the Military that led the coup that overthrew civilian authority and has total dictatorial powers to do whatever they want.

The bad thing about this is tourists have an expectation to be able to go to a beach and rent a lounge chair and an an umbrella.  goodness.  Many if not most beaches have such features.  That is one of the things that make a beach attractive.  When I went to Phuket on my two trips, I skipped the Patong beach because it was crazy crowded and I agree something needed to be done.  But down the island at Karon beach, I thought they had about the right number of chairs or loungers, maybe a few too many. But it was easy and convenient to walk down to the beach and rent.  A casual tourist should be able to do that.  Now I wonder if a tourist will be able to rent a lounger like across the street and then carry the thing down to the beach?  Is that going to be the work around?

41 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Short answer is the Navy is part of the Military that led the coup that overthrew civilian authority and has total dictatorial powers to do whatever they want.

The bad thing about this is tourists have an expectation to be able to go to a beach and rent a lounge chair and an an umbrella.  goodness.  Many if not most beaches have such features.  That is one of the things that make a beach attractive.  When I went to Phuket on my two trips, I skipped the Patong beach because it was crazy crowded and I agree something needed to be done.  But down the island at Karon beach, I thought they had about the right number of chairs or loungers, maybe a few too many. But it was easy and convenient to walk down to the beach and rent.  A casual tourist should be able to do that.  Now I wonder if a tourist will be able to rent a lounger like across the street and then carry the thing down to the beach?  Is that going to be the work around?

I will not allow my parents to cross the Karon highway beach road with their  own sun-loungers and their own  umbrellas in their hands if u not mind.most people will no longer visit the beach and now its a natural beach mission accomplished.

6 hours ago, GiantFan said:

Municipality already gets the rent.  My friends gf had a concession in the Pian days.   You needed to be registered in Phuket for some reason and lucky enough to get chosen.  If memory serves, yearly fee of 600k baht.  Hire 2 Burma boys and off you go. The hard part for her was to limit the pilfering by the boys.  She barely got out of bed before noon.  Hair / makeup added a couple more hours before heading down to check.  "No have customers this morning " was often the reply.  She still made tons of money.

So if the beach rental fees could be pooled, that might be 10 - 15 M baht per year.  That would more than cover permanent professional well paid lifeguards, beach / common ground cleaning,  as well as upkeep of the one toilet.  Any extra, and it will be substantial, can be used for additional facilities (showers, toilets, etc...).

Unfortunately, this will never happen.  

Thanks for sharing - interesting information!

I'm still trying to get my head around the numbers, though.  600K to Patong Municipality, plus 2 Burmese guys at lets say 500/day each comes to an annual operating cost of just under 1 million baht (965,000 baht). The plastic loungers cost about 1,500 each (which would be amortized over time). Umbrellas - not sure of the cost, but the cost of the plastic tables used back in the day was negligible. Back then,  2 sunbeds, a table and an umbrella could be rented for about 250 baht/day.

So, just to break even, they'd need to rent out at least 20 sunbeds per day, every day. This is without considering any equipment costs.  I can recall many low seasons when they'd be lucky to rent out 10 all day, but I guess high seasons must have more than made up for that. 

My guess is that the real money was in selling beer and soda.