Households face at least 350 baht/month for garbage collection and disposal

webfact

I agree with the above post.

I realize it is harder in urban areas, but it is possible to reduce waste to nearly nothing in rural areas.

For cities the first step has to be eliminating all the plastic that gets foisted on you here. Then having separate bins for organics and recyclables (maybe as a carrot you don't charge for pickup of these, only garbage to encourage sorting).

But, in our own home, waste organics are composted, the dogs eat meat scraps, bottles, cardboard and plastic bottles are recycled.

We generate, virtually no waste that has to go to a dump.

All of this is completely possible for most people living in rural areas.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes sense to charge for garbage collection.  One can hope that the revenues could be used to fund a larger scale clean up program and recycleing facitities.  That said, there is much money to be made recycling garbage.  A well to do Thai freind of mine has a garbage collection/disposal business (contract from the municipality) in Pattaya and its quite profitable.

3 hours ago, recycler said:

That's a lot of money if you are on a minimum wage.

I bet we will see the waste piles on the side of the road getting bigger.

Yes thats the sad part. I also have seen pictures of the broken down incinerator plants surround by mountains of garbage. Apparently fixing the plant had been funded but the money disappeared. I would not be surprised to see some of this new revenue siphoned off as well. 

4 hours ago, meatboy said:

only way it will work IS to ADD it to the electric bill,otherwise they will do what they do every day,CHUCK IT BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

This is actually a brilliant idea! You really should pop this in a government 'suggestion box'. Just make sure it's in Thai or they won't read it. To forestall any naysayers, I've had responses from government agencies of various types, just make sure it's in Thai script.

Great thinking :thumbsup:

BTW  I've paid the same 460 baht here on Phuket and the bin men call every week, sometimes twice. Still flytipping everywhere though.

Edited by dageurreotype

It makes sense to charge for garbage collection.  One can hope that the revenues could be used to fund a larger scale clean up program and recycleing facitities.  That said, there is much money to be made recycling garbage.  A well to do Thai freind of mine has a garbage collection/disposal business (contract from the municipality) in Pattaya and its quite profitable.

And that is why they are making a move on it.

I : A guaranteed income stream from the levy on each household.

2: Money to be made from letting the contracts.

3: A share (informal) in the profits from recycling.

What's not to like....

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Rural folks in the villages wont even sign up for a ten baht a month garbage collection service so 150 baht a month doesn't stand a chance.

Out here in rural Khampaeng Phet we pay 30 baht a month and they take almost everything.

4 hours ago, onthesoi said:

If fly tipping becomes a problem then raise the fines on fly tipping...duh!

And how do you catch the people fly tipping?

A misleading article, hardly a Web fact. For us the costs are not much higher at B9,100/Month for 120 houses, when you work it out. For a start, the charge would be on volume and not on weight for ordinary housing. In our 120 house Moo Bahn, there are 18 x 100 litre bins which are emptied 2 times/week = 3,600Litres/week. At B350/600 litres including collection and disposal, this equates to B76/household/Month. The current BMA charge is B60/Household/Month. The cost could be reduced if the 10 households that sell vegetables on the market did not bring their waste home to dispose of it.

Edited by Estrada

5 hours ago, r136dg said:

If costs go up for collection I'd imagine you would see a lot more garbage on the roads. These people need education!

Education costs money, first you need a "government that is willing to invest in its people, not themselves!

4 hours ago, onthesoi said:

If fly tipping becomes a problem then raise the fines on fly tipping...duh!

Enforcement, fines, does that translate to Thai, have you not noticed it is sadly lacking here! - duh!

People complained about the flytipping in my area and a few signs in big red lettering announced a 2000 baht fine. Which of course was never imposed as the OBJ hadn't bothered to have anyone enforce it. The signs have now disappeared and the flytipping prevails. Of course In Our Home Countries all that is needed is for someone to report it and the council would send someone out to catch the polluters. But in a country where human waste is regularly dumped straight out into the sea? No chance.

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

Education costs money, first you need a "government that is willing to invest in its people, not themselves!

Enforcement, fines, does that translate to Thai, have you not noticed it is sadly lacking here! - duh!

This type of education costs no more than a government infomercial campaign such as were needed back in civilisation half a century ago.

Noticing the usual garbage flying about a Burmese camp I'd taken them some black plastic bags and 'advised' them to use them. They looked at me blankly (they really didn't understand the need) until I'd opened one and put a piece of their trash in it, handed it back and told them to finish up. That was a year ago, they're still there but haven't seen any trash since. I seriously believe it's the same the Thais who have yet not been told what those black plastic packs in the 7/11s are for.

17 minutes ago, dageurreotype said:

This type of education costs no more than a government infomercial campaign such as were needed back in civilisation half a century ago.

Exactly - where is this campaign? do you not think maybe they prefer to keep the majority of people at the level they are at?

Living in Ban Patilop in the middle of nowhere. The comunity here gave us plastic containers for free. One for each household. They collect 2-3 times a month. We are supposed to pay 20-30 bath pr.month. Never ever seen a bill. They collect wathever you put out. I would happily pay more if the money come to good use for our community. Most Thai people like to have a clean surrounding, just like us farrangs.

36 minutes ago, Estrada said:

A misleading article, hardly a Web fact. For us the costs are not much higher at B9,100/Month for 120 houses, when you work it out. For a start, the charge would be on volume and not on weight for ordinary housing. In our 120 house Moo Bahn, there are 18 x 100 litre bins which are emptied 2 times/week = 3,600Litres/week. At B350/600 litres including collection and disposal, this equates to B76/household/Month. The current BMA charge is B60/Household/Month. The cost could be reduced if the 10 households that sell vegetables on the market did not bring their waste home to dispose of it.

The 10 households you speak of have every right to dispose of there rubish at there property they pay the same as you do the fact they sell vegetables  have no bearing on it whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Exactly - where is this campaign? do you not think maybe they prefer to keep the majority of people at the level they are at?

Back when my household owned a tv set, there were plenty of infomercials on 'going to the aid of women being abused' 'showing empathy for the disabled' are just two sprung to mind. I've also seen many anti trafficking stickers. The entire population may not be persuaded/educated overnight, but these types of awareness raising have been very effective in the West and I don't see why it can't work here. 

9 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Rural folks in the villages wont even sign up for a ten baht a month garbage collection service so 150 baht a month doesn't stand a chance.

The total price is 350 baht if you included the 200 baht for disposing of it. 

I was living in a complex where the rent included 350 baht for water, and 50 baht a month for rubbish/garbage collection. The system worked fine until somebody started stealing the lids off the bins, and then the bins themselves!

The point being made by an earlier poster (gk10002000) is quite correct - if the price is incorporated into your electric bill, you have to pay- or no electric!

Edited by sambum

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

The 10 households you speak of have every right to dispose of there rubish at there property they pay the same as you do the fact they sell vegetables  have no bearing on it whatsoever.

You misunderstand, there are 120 houses sharing 18 bins. The bins are not at their individual property. You have no idea how the system is supposed to work, I was one of the Consultants who wrote the Bangkok Solid Waste Master Plan, so I know how we intended the system to work.

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe the fee is 150 baht per month from what is published in Thai.  Not sure what that 200 baht fee is but suspect something other than routine household garbage.  

I believe that the fee is what it says! 150 baht fee  for collecting it (which will presumably go towards the wages of the "garbage collection officers", and 200 baht towards the wages of "garbage disposal officers" and the cost of running the incinerator (which in one particular case hasn't worked for years) 

10 minutes ago, Estrada said:

You misunderstand, there are 120 houses sharing 18 bins. The bins are not at their individual property. You have no idea how the system is supposed to work, I was one of the Consultants who wrote the Bangkok Solid Waste Master Plan, so I know how we intended the system to work.

So 120 houses have the right to put there rubish in the  bins simple really. If you was one  wrote whatever it is you said!!! what the hell has that got to do with householders disposing of there waste.?. So no re reading your origional post I don't misunderstand, you were moaning about 10 households disposing of to much waste was you not? If not why say it.

Edited by Deepinthailand

8 hours ago, z42 said:

I can't see how this is going to work at all. How are people going to be made to pay? and it would be an invitation for many to simply fly tip more, or burn more than they do now (which is a disgusting amount already)..
Last time I checked, most houses don't even have a wheelie bin or any outside bin they could call their own, so again how can people be expected to cough up any money when there is no way to determine who creates what garbage.

Ridiculous idea, as ever there is far too much jumping the gun & critical stages missed out.

See post #2 - incorporate the charge into their electricity bill - no pay - no electric.

The money generated could also be used to supply each household with a "wheelie bin or outside bin" as these seem to be in incredibly short supply - even in tourist destinations where obviously more refuse is being created. 

6 hours ago, malt25 said:

Sorry, have to disagree. Maybe we live on a different planet, but we don't have an issue in our village. Local authority provides 200 lt. rubbish bin. Collection twice per week. The guys take anything placed in or beside the bin. Annual payment of 1,200 baht to village head man, with receipt. Very little, if any, rubbish in our Sois.

Just sayin.

"Local authority provides 200 lt. rubbish bin."

And therein lies the problem - it is obviously a solution for your village, but when the bins are not provided by the local authority, what then?

6 hours ago, louse1953 said:

I think it is interesting to compare and learn what happens in other countries,good and bad.

Correct - where I lived in the UK, we had  Council Tax (in most cases more than 1000 British Pounds a year (app 43,000 baht,)  which covers garbage collection, street lighting and other local amenities, (e.g. Police and Fire services) but we had to pay separate bills for water which is usually about 360 pounds (app 15,000 baht) a year. And then obviously gas, electricity, transport , house insurance, contents insurance, TV licence, (145 pounds (more than 6000 baht a year just to watch terrestrial TV (cable is the equivalent here) - Sky, and Pay to View packages are extra )) all contribute to the reasons why I am here!!! (Apart from the weather and food!)

Edited by sambum

52 minutes ago, sioux2012 said:

so its inferred

Unless you read the original story, when it first came out around 6 months ago .....It is a BMA proposal ...BANGKOK Metropolitan Authority, and the plan was to add it onto the MEA electricity bill. So no, it is planned for Bangkok only. And unless you are illegally stealing electricity you won't be able to get out of paying it.

from TV last year :

2 hours ago, dageurreotype said:

Back when my household owned a tv set, there were plenty of infomercials on 'going to the aid of women being abused' 'showing empathy for the disabled' are just two sprung to mind. I've also seen many anti trafficking stickers. The entire population may not be persuaded/educated overnight, but these types of awareness raising have been very effective in the West and I don't see why it can't work here. 

I agree it could work here, you have to start somewhere, unless I am missing something, they haven't even started here yet?

"Advertising" works! one of my earliest memories from childhood was the "dip, don't dazzle" campaign in the UK, I grew up believing that people who "dazzled" were truly evil beings!

When I first moved to Singapore it was common for people to spit! (as it still is today in China!) they had a huge relentless campaign to stamp it out, it worked, they stuck with it!

Here everything is done so halfheartedly or not at all, as an example after ~20 years of a "helmet" law where are they!

I live close to a reservoir, it is not uncommon forfolks to dump their gardage beside it, in all my years in Thailand I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for "littering" apart from a few tourists being fleeced in Sukhumvit area in Bangkok.