My Latest Rant - Department of Land Transport

brucegoniners

So I bought a car at a used car dealer. Paid cash.

Easy enough.

Today we go down to register it and I'm asked for a work permit. Don't have one.

I guess in this country if you don't have a work permit you aren't a human being.

So I had to register the car in my wife's name.

So first I can't finance the car. Ok. I can kind of see why.

But now I can't even legally own it with a retirement visa!

F&*k this stupid country!!!

Go ahead haters, your turn...

Usually, the work permit is used in place of a certificate of residence as it states your address. Did you have a certificate of residence because without one you cannot register a vehicle in your own name. You can obtain a certificate of residence from your embassy or an immigration office.

It is likely the OP was unaware that proof of address is mandatory when registering a vehicle. Thus he felt frustrated when the reality of the situation was presented to him at the Land Transport Department. It may well also be that the OP cannot speak Thai and thus some of the communication was translated to him in broken English and some filtered out. Clearly he never got the message about the certificate of residence. These communication problems typically compound frustration, particularly for older farang males who suddenly find themselves helpless, a situation they have not encountered for a long time.

when I bought my pickup 3 years ago I anticipated some sort of address verification requirement so I brought a copy of my US embassy income verification affidavit that has my address on it IN ENGLISH to the Isuzu dealer that was accepted...I had first tried my thai driver's license that has my address in Thai but that wasn't accepted...don't make no sense...

nothin' wrong with bein' POed when it comes to these matters...Thailand can be a very frustrating place for westerners...takes some gettin' used to...

On 1/23/2017 at 1:22 PM, Briggsy said:

Usually, the work permit is used in place of a certificate of residence as it states your address. Did you have a certificate of residence because without one you cannot register a vehicle in your own name. You can obtain a certificate of residence from your embassy or an immigration office.

I got one at my local Amphur to register my motorbike in my own name.

In the U.K. as the whole process takes place by post, no proof of address is required. The registration document gets sent back to the address you put on the form, simple.

no waiting in line, dealing with bored staff who change rules on a whim, maybe they could enter the 19th century and try it here. If they don't trust normal post, try EMS and just charge for it, works for 90 day reports.

59 minutes ago, Surasak said:

The point here is, had th OP tried to register a car in his home country, proof of address would be required. Whats different?

Nonsense.. You sign a bit of paper and put it in the post. 

No such thing required.. And cars are registerable from builds, previous parts, imports, etc etc.. They must of course meet safety standards and testing. 

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Nonsense.. You sign a bit of paper and put it in the post. 

No such thing required.. And cars are registerable from builds, previous parts, imports, etc etc.. They must of course meet safety standards and testing. 

What does building a car from parts have to do with the OP or the person your are quoting ?

On 23/01/2017 at 1:50 PM, FritsSikkink said:

So you don't know the rules, don't speak the language and the country is stupid, oh well ...

Rules? the same sort of rules that are corrupted day in buy all manner of people at every level of society and government?................ I am not bitter, I know the game is played here - most do. But to suggest there is a rule based framework for 'the way things are done' in Thailand is not all together correct.

Just now, Don Mega said:

Which Surasak did not mention anything of registering cars built from parts.

I think LivinLOS's comment is perfectly intelligible and that you are actively seeking a polemic and not being constructive.