What kind of procedure are we in?

tartempion

My gf's 32 years old idiot brother got a 16 year young pregnant and a baby girl was born. They did not marry and the mother dumped the father when the baby was 3 months old. the father is too lazy to work. To keep this short after months of considerations we decided to raise the baby by our own.

5 years later we tried unsuccessfully several times to have the mother and father abandon their rights and to get custody of the child.

We consulted many instances and never got clear answers how to proceed, including Thai lawyers.

Some Udon Thani provincial service (something like Social Security and more)

seemed to be the right place and we convinced the parents to sign papers I guess to abandon their parental rights.

We needed to provide house and family photos, my gf's bank statements and land deed titles, 3 visits to a Khon Kaen Psy hospital and a police report.

All of this took 2 months to complete and I guess our (or rather her) file is complete.

Is this an adoption procedure, I don't know. No one ever has been able to explain anything in English to me and my gf does not know the Thai administration in this regard. The definition of "custody" and "adoption" is unknown to her.

The lady at that service showed us she had about 40 similar request in her drawer and told my gf we might need to wait up to 1 year before knowing the outcome.

We are having a great time together, me being her dady, taking care of the girl around the clock. The objective is to get her a passport and to travel to other countries together as we used to do before we took the little one in.

Any insight and advise is welcome.

"we tried unsuccessfully several times to have the mother and father abandon their rights and to get custody of the child."

"we convinced the parents to sign papers I guess to abandon their parental rights."

You are forcing people to give up their child, should have stopped after the first denial.

No need to be judgemental and it hardly sounds liek these parents were keen on raising the child.

OP I  don't know if what you are in the process of is guardianship or adoption or indeed, whether there is a difference under Thai law. But it sounds like adoption to me.

It might be worth the investment to consult a lawyer specializing in family law.

"we tried unsuccessfully several times to have the mother and father abandon their rights and to get custody of the child."

"we convinced the parents to sign papers I guess to abandon their parental rights."

You are forcing people to give up their child, should have stopped after the first denial.

You are a funny guy.

The mother dumped the child with the father when it was 3 months young and the father disappeared to Taiwan for 3 years not to get his life together but to become a drug addict, his employer cancelled his 5 years contract after 3 years and sent him back home where he was admitted to a psy hospital in Khon Kaen.

In stead of leaving the little one in the dirt of grandmothers house we decided to raise the child, what life and future would it otherwise have you smart guy?

Locating an English knowledgeable lawyer in family law, Bangkok maybe?

A file was submitted with the Social Development and Security department or something like that. Might as well let it run its course.

Btw, the father now lives with his mother spending his days in a hangmat, how is he going to feed, clothe and bring his daughter to school?

1 hour ago, tartempion said:

You are a funny guy.

The mother dumped the child with the father when it was 3 months young and the father disappeared to Taiwan for 3 years not to get his life together but to become a drug addict, his employer cancelled his 5 years contract after 3 years and sent him back home where he was admitted to a psy hospital in Khon Kaen.

In stead of leaving the little one in the dirt of grandmothers house we decided to raise the child, what life and future would it otherwise have you smart guy?

A file was submitted with the Social Development and Security department or something like that. Might as well let it run its course.

Btw, the father now lives with his mother spending his days in a hangmat, how is he going to feed, clothe and bring his daughter to school?

In that case you did a good job.

You must find a good english speaking lawyer tthat specialize in family law. You probably have to go to bangkok to find one. This might be quite expensive but if you are serious about this it is worth it. 

Good luck ! 

• 3 weeks later...

We got a Kor Ror 14 this morning mentioning my Gf and the girl I consider to be my daughter (nothing biological though).

Can someone explain what a KR14 buys us?

Situation:

my gf is the aunt of the girl that we decided to raise when she was almost 1 year young (thus her brother is the father).

I hope KR14 will be sufficient to get her a passport and travel around as a family.

We will go for a passport after school closes 17 March.

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2017 at 5:47 PM, tartempion said:

You are a funny guy.

I admire you for your consternation about the child. My wife and I are, we hope, nearing the end of a two year adoption process. We were promised the  deciding committee would meet in June, just past, but have heard nothing. Fortunately my wife is well educated, speaks and reads good English and more importantly not intimidated by bureaucrats. She located the missing mother by going to the her local cop shop who located the mother for her. The mother did not want her son and didn't know who the father was. My wife took her to the adoption office and got the necessary papers sorted and signed. My wife who is the one doing the adopting with my written permission had to attend a psychiatric hospital twice to test her mental suitability. Your problem as I see it is getting the parents agreement. Without that I think you are on a thick ear for nothing. Maybe they can see an advantage in having their daughter raised and educated with a view to reaping the benefit when she is grown up. I'm sorry for the cynicism.  I wish you well

I have no experience of adoption in Thailand but I would have thought it would have been reasonably straight forward for your wife to adopt her niece as she is a blood relative. You in turn could then adopt 'her' child as you are married. I just think it's always best to keep things as simple as possible in Thailand. Chok dee to you all.

3 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

I have no experience of adoption in Thailand but I would have thought it would have been reasonably straight forward for your wife to adopt her niece as she is a blood relative. You in turn could then adopt 'her' child as you are married. I just think it's always best to keep things as simple as possible in Thailand. Chok dee to you all.

When did he say he was married?

On 1 July 2017 at 8:39 AM, tartempion said:

Had the forms translated, if I can trust that it says "adopted"

And obtained a passport showing the document.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Congratulations on your successful adoption.

My wife adopted her nephew after his Grandmother died, both parents already deceased, so she could bring him back to England as she is a naturalised Brit. It took about 2 months, followed by only one week to get a visa from the UK embassy without any interviews, amazing. We then immediately applied and got him naturalisation and a Brit passport in UK.

The UK adoption agency stated it would take us about 3 years and cost £7,000 through them, so I packed her off on a plane and told her to do it in her name in Thailand. Best decision ever.

I couldn't say what documents she got in Thailand, but you appear to have sorted that unknown already, well done.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:57 PM, FritsSikkink said:

I'd force people to read a post properly before jumping to idiotic conclusions and making stupid comments. 

On 7/1/2017 at 8:39 AM, tartempion said:

Had the forms translated, if I can trust that it says "adopted"

And obtained a passport showing the document.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You are doing a great thing that you will not regret.

As you are not sure about the procedures and documents I think you should contact an English speaking lawyer to confirm your situation. What happens if, in a few years time, the mother or father (maybe seeing an opportunity to make money) could return and demand access to the child - or worse?

There are some firms offering advice online who might provide answers if you can send copies (scans) of the documents.

I wish you and your family the very best.

On 1/25/2017 at 7:45 PM, tartempion said:

My gf's 32 years old idiot brother got a 16 year young pregnant and a baby girl was born. They did not marry and the mother dumped the father when the baby was 3 months old. the father is too lazy to work

Common practice in Thai culture.

• 4 months later...

Update:

It definitely is an adoption which gives full rights to the adoptive mother and cancels all rights from the biological parents.

And NO I am not married with the adoptive mother.

But all 3 of us are very happy living together....

I have been told many times if I want parental rights I should marry the adoptive mother.

I can't marry right now and don't want to do so until the last resort.

But I read the amphur could provide "some" rights if the girl would be 7 with the adoptive mother's agreement.

I also read if the amphur would refuse a court proceding with the help of a lawyer would get me "some" rights.

In case something would happen to the adoptive mother I am afraid the girl will be without parents, how can I assure I could keep on caring for her? 

Can anyone elaborate please?

The plan is to travel with the girl to Europe without the adoptive mother (she travelled with me in 2010 and doesn't want to go back, she also dislikes any activities i plan with the girls, thus her presence would ruin our trip.

For that so far I needed a travel authorisation from the amphur, which they refused to draw up last week for some mysterious reasons as lack of trust, but finally did, after going up the command chain.

My embassy also requires a school certificate mentioning holiday period (to ensure we will not travel during legal school days)

That took 10 days and 3 tries to get it right, both myself and partner talked to the school's admin and finally came from school today (I pick her up every day) wity the biological parents name on the certificate although the previous version withouth the school holidays mentioned the adoptive mother as the parent.

Jeez, why is anything so difficult to get right in this country? 

Next steps is getting Thai documents translated and legalised and hit my embassy in January to apply for a visa request.

And I wish to thank a TV member for offering his wife's help in confirming translation and comments on some documents. Fantastic person with sound advice and lot's of knowledge.

Edited by tartempion