Read my lips: No political amnesty, Prayut says

webfact

Read my lips: No political amnesty, Prayuth says

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

201701251232516-20061002145931-696x474.j  

Junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha speaks to reporters Wednesday at Government House in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha repeated on Tuesday that his goals for national reconciliation do not include amnesty to those facing legal action for previous cycles of political unrest.

His comments came after a senior member of the junta-appointed reform council advised the regime to work toward reconciliation by taking a cue from a landmark policy that ended a communist insurgency in the 1980s by offering amnesty to the rebels and their supporters. Prayuth said the idea is anachronistic.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/01/26/read-lips-no-political-amnesty-prayuth-says/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-01-26

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you want to reform (reconcile) Thailand

Enforce law and justice equally for all no matter rich poor creed or colour, eradicate corruption and severely punish those that are caught, then you just might have the majority of Thai people feeling reconciled and living in a fair balanced and equal society 

"goals for national reconciliation do not include amnesty"

His amnesty is assured from usurping power from an elected government, but he will not extend that to anyone else.  Is there a Thai word for "oxymoron" ? It must be painful to be an enlightened and erudite Thai at this time. 

Thank Buddha that the General is in charge and that there is better law enforcement and justice equally for all no matter rich poor creed or colour, and action eradicating corruption, than than any previous government political party in the last 30 years in Thailand.

No amnesty for criminals!

Edited by Banana7

3 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK — Junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha repeated on Tuesday that his goals for national reconciliation do not include amnesty to those facing legal action for previous cycles of political unrest.

Of course your the exception. 

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

"goals for national reconciliation do not include amnesty"

His amnesty is assured from usurping power from an elected government, but he will not extend that to anyone else.  Is there a Thai word for "oxymoron" ? It must be painful to be an enlightened and erudite Thai at this time. 

Oxygen thief?

53 minutes ago, halloween said:

Always quick to claim prosecution is politically motivated, but does motivation matter when the crime is proven?

The point here is, that justice should be applied equally to all. The crimes of Prayuth and co. hardly need to be proven, as the evidence is overwhelming, yet he is untoucheable.

that automatically invalidates any court case against any political offender.

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

Thank Buddha that the General is in charge and that there is better law enforcement and justice equally for all no matter rich poor creed or colour, and action eradicating corruption, than than any previous government political party in the last 30 years in Thailand.

I keep reading this looking for the sarcasm.................but I think he means it!

5 hours ago, smedly said:

you want to reform (reconcile) Thailand

Enforce law and justice equally for all no matter rich poor creed or colour, eradicate corruption and severely punish those that are caught, then you just might have the majority of Thai people feeling reconciled and living in a fair balanced and equal society 

First sensible post I've seen you make, although you forgot to mention that those grabbing power illegally should also receive grave punishment.

5 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

A policy straight out of the playbook of Kim Jong-Un. Both the PM and Kim are terrified of politicians speaking out against the military.

Yes, read your comment. 

Now how about a comment focused on the actual point in the news report.

1 hour ago, halloween said:

Always quick to claim prosecution is politically motivated, but does motivation matter when the crime is proven?

Depends on the crime.  Gathering in small groups is a crime.  Political debate is a crime.  Holding up three fingers is a crime. 

Edited by yellowboat

49 minutes ago, johnnytuc said:

I keep reading this looking for the sarcasm.................but I think he means it!

No,  pretty sure he means it.  Not sure what he is talking about.  The tangible achievements of this government are beach chairs and bike lanes.  Thailand has become seriously sad and boring since the coup.  No improvements come to mind.  Doubt Buddha is impressed either.  Amnesty goes to the biggest criminals in Thailand, so he is wrong there too. 

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Edited by yellowboat

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

This is sarcasm I hope?

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

No,  pretty sure he means it.  Not sure what he is talking about.  The tangible achievements of this government are beach chairs and bike lanes.  Thailand has become seriously sad and boring since the coup.  No improvements come to mind.  Doubt Buddha is impressed either.  Amnesty goes to the biggest criminals in Thailand, so he is wrong there too. 

Yes, I do mean it.

The General has done a lots of good in Pattaya - lots of corruption cleaned out but some more to go.  I still don't see the Pattaya Police enforcing numerous traffic laws - especially motorcycles driving on walkways. There are lots of other areas where I don't see adequate enforcement.

Lots of problems in Pattaya like with the municipal water authority that won't provide adequate water to condominium buildings or charging condos the hotel rate, which is like 65b a cubic meter, instead of the residential rate which 21b. Water authority, for one condo, wants over million baht to increase the water line so that it gets adequate supply. The only thing the water company has to do is remove a cap. - Lots of crap like this in Pattaya - probably in other parts of the country too.

Edited by Banana7