Anti-corruption chief complains dive in corruption index 'unfair'

snoop1130

12 hours ago, WhizBang said:

You don't get out much do you.  Plus you apparantly do not understand a purge when you see one happening under your nose.

The police remain an uncontrolable (and unprofessional) force.  They know where too many skeletons are buried.  They remain untouchable.

This entire thing has been about removing the Shins from power, among other things that one cannot talk about.

Nothing really HAS changed, only the names of the players.  There has been some reshuffeling, but that is about all.  Oh, and as for democracy, that is gone, at least for the forseeable future.  Meet Prayut, your 'leader' (and I use that word VERY loosely) for the forseeable future, barring the Thai people growing some cajones and staging a mass uprising.

I agree except for the bit where you say democracy has gone at least for the foreseeable future,

I don't see how it returns at all...

Meanwhile he has shuffled the TG/RR case off his desk with aplomb.

Not sure why Article 44 isn't applicable here? OK, I am sure, but just trying to point out the absurdity.

Will be interesting when the names finally leak out, Defamation cases will abound no doubt.

‘Scrap court time limit on Rolls-Royce bribery case’

Anti-graft academic says evidence is conclusive in allegations against Thai Airways international and PTT.

THAI AUTHORITIES should enforce the anti-money laundering law in connection with the UN-sanctioned Financial Action Task Force (FATF) to beat the statute of limitations that protects some people who took bribes in the multi-million-baht Rolls-Royce scandal, an anti-graft academic says.

Sangsit Piriyarangsun, an associate professor at Rangsit University, yesterday told a seminar on corruption and national development that Thai authorities already have conclusive documentary evidence on bribery involving UK aircraft engine maker Rolls-Royce and Thai Airways International (THAI) and PTT, but no action has been taken against the individuals who received the bribes.

According to Sangsit, there were 52 pages of official document concerning PTT and another 40 concerning THAI on Rolls-Royce’s illegal payment of money to win lucrative deals from the two Thai state enterprises.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30305140

13 hours ago, onthesoi said:

The bold is simply not true, the Thai police are under more scrutiny than ever before to keep their hands clean, the days of openly bracing passersby for tea money are finished, and some very big fish have been gutted, including high ranking officials in the police, military, government and even some close to the royal family.

I will just talk about the area that I am in.

Tea money payments to the police have increased substantially in the past two years. Every bar, whether working legitimately or not, now has to pay money to the police just to be allowed to open without hassle. Businesses with Burmese staff are being raided and unreceipted fines paid to release the staff, followed by a monthly payment, allowing Burmese employment to continue. Legal Burmese? It doesn't matter; they find something wrong. One local business didn't pay his money as the Burmese staff member left and the next day the police arrived for a shakedown. The local underground lottery continues in full knowledge of the police who take their cut and businesses with farangs are being spied upon and should any transgression of their work permit terms (if a work permit exists) be spotted then an uncomfortable visit to the police station takes place, followed by an under the table fine and a monthly payment thereafter.

None of the above is speculation. It's real. Other places may be less blatant but I bet it goes on to some degree.

Meanwhile he has shuffled the TG/RR case off his desk with aplomb.

Not sure why Article 44 isn't applicable here? OK, I am sure, but just trying to point out the absurdity.

Will be interesting when the names finally leak out, Defamation cases will abound no doubt.

‘Scrap court time limit on Rolls-Royce bribery case’

Anti-graft academic says evidence is conclusive in allegations against Thai Airways international and PTT.

THAI AUTHORITIES should enforce the anti-money laundering law in connection with the UN-sanctioned Financial Action Task Force (FATF) to beat the statute of limitations that protects some people who took bribes in the multi-million-baht Rolls-Royce scandal, an anti-graft academic says.

Sangsit Piriyarangsun, an associate professor at Rangsit University, yesterday told a seminar on corruption and national development that Thai authorities already have conclusive documentary evidence on bribery involving UK aircraft engine maker Rolls-Royce and Thai Airways International (THAI) and PTT, but no action has been taken against the individuals who received the bribes.

According to Sangsit, there were 52 pages of official document concerning PTT and another 40 concerning THAI on Rolls-Royce’s illegal payment of money to win lucrative deals from the two Thai state enterprises.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30305140

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Of course he is right. The index is a perception of corruption it does no actually measure

the level of corruption. The more you crack down on and expose corruption the higher

the perception is going to go as a spotlight is shone on the issue. That said there is a great

deal of corruption in Thailand on many fronts including the military who for understandable

reasons want to crack down on everyone else's corruption, not their own. The police, land

office bureaucrats, politicians at all levels, municipal, provincial and federal. Plenty to clean up

and it will take decades. The only way to effectively change the mindset where 75% of Thais think

corruption is OK, as long as it benefits them is ethics needs to be taught in school from a

young age. Is it going to happen. I doubt it. But it should be. :coffee1:

16 hours ago, onthesoi said:

...the nation’s departure from democracy.

A departure away from the Shinawatra family, one of the most powerful and corrupt families in Thailand.

Who used public money and rice scams to buy votes and rig elections.

In reality, Thailand probably has less corruption now than at any time in it's history....regardless of what some group of German beard scratchers think.

The fact is that much more corruption has now come to light. Much of it was swept under the table by previous governments. The army has unearthed huge corruption on a massive scale in the land department. Taking this into account it is natural that Thailand 's place on the corruption index has sink

36 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

Of course he's complaining. As long as this is the norm....
b499208c74260807a44eaa748fa64ba6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That pretty much settles it; they couldn't find a link to the red-shirts, and the money trail has led to some "influential", "unusually wealthy" "good" people, but the statute of limitations "prevents" them from "taking action".

This one will require an extra large broom, a huge carpet, along with copious amounts of white-wash and a dash of defamation suits.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The government’s top corruption fighter Friday rejected Thailand’s fall to 101st place in a world ranking of corruption by a German anti-corruption nonprofit.

Pulling a Mr. Xi on us now reject reject reject but when it comes your occupation of islands in the South China Sea it turns to respect respect respect. I sense a takeaway from the same page here. 

3 hours ago, gamini said:

The fact is that much more corruption has now come to light. Much of it was swept under the table by previous governments. The army has unearthed huge corruption on a massive scale in the land department. Taking this into account it is natural that Thailand 's place on the corruption index has sink

I guess this is what they mean by "alternative facts"...

It is awesome to watch these guys squirm. They are like a 5 year old caught with their hand in the cookie jar, with the same nonsensical excuses given to profess their innocence.

The simple fact is their argument is wrong. The 2015 CPI was based on the most part on early 2014 data, so would reflect a time when Thailand was a flawed democracy , but nonetheless still a democracy. Even if democracy numbers were part of the 2015 CPI number, those indexes would have dropped based on the coup and subsequent junta government. The 2016 CPI decrease is a result of increased corruption and decreased democracy.

Given that the "stated" reason for the coup was to tackle corruption, this is a major fail for the junta government.

6 hours ago, gamini said:

I believe that one of the major players in the "huge corruption on a massive scale in thre land department" in Phuket was arrested but was murdered in his cell before he could name any names. Hanging himself first supposedly with his socks and then with his shirt while the security cameras in the jail happened to be out of action did not sound plausible and was disputed by the hospital who effectively stated that he had been beaten to death.  Has any policeman or senior official been charged in connection with this death?  Things seem to have gone awfully quiet. Has the infamous abbot been arrested yet? I could go on about certain "connected" people who have been involved in road deaths and are still enjoying their freedom, but it would take too long.

Many of the actions to thwart large scale corruption have been largely cosmetic and so-called investigations by the same people responsible for the crimes are a joke.

23 hours ago, mark131v said:

Oh dear.....

I think the boxhead beardies are judging on what is happening today, you know since the military liberated the population from the burden of any semblance of democracy.....

Proof perfect that there is none so blind as he who refuses to see.....

And who do you think trousered the RR money?

29 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I believe that one of the major players in the "huge corruption on a massive scale in thre land department" in Phuket was arrested but was murdered in his cell before he could name any names. Hanging himself first supposedly with his socks and then with his shirt while the security cameras in the jail happened to be out of action did not sound plausible and was disputed by the hospital who effectively stated that he had been beaten to death.  Has any policeman or senior official been charged in connection with this death?  Things seem to have gone awfully quiet. Has the infamous abbot been arrested yet? I could go on about certain "connected" people who have been involved in road deaths and are still enjoying their freedom, but it would take too long.

Many of the actions to thwart large scale corruption have been largely cosmetic and so-called investigations by the same people responsible for the crimes are a joke.

Additionally when people denouncing alledged military corruption end up in jail, key witnesses die in military jails,  and the chief human trafficking investigator has fled abroad, it surely does not contributes to a good anti-corruption index....

1 hour ago, laocowboy2 said:

And who do you think trousered the RR money?

From the way the powers that be are squirming and trying to bury the subject I think it is safe to assume it is some of the 'good people'

I would not be at all surprised if a few ex generals and air force types or their hi so backer's where named though I would put good money on nothing tangible happening in the way of punishment....

Caught red handed but still nothing, damning indictment on the whole stinking cesspit and total absence of anything even vaguely resembling a moral compass.....

Looking forward to the 2018 corruption index already as they do seem to be going all out to top the table in at least one subject, go Thailand!!!

Edited by mark131v

On 1/28/2017 at 9:48 AM, madmitch said:

I will just talk about the area that I am in.

Tea money payments to the police have increased substantially in the past two years. Every bar, whether working legitimately or not, now has to pay money to the police just to be allowed to open without hassle. Businesses with Burmese staff are being raided and unreceipted fines paid to release the staff, followed by a monthly payment, allowing Burmese employment to continue. Legal Burmese? It doesn't matter; they find something wrong. One local business didn't pay his money as the Burmese staff member left and the next day the police arrived for a shakedown. The local underground lottery continues in full knowledge of the police who take their cut and businesses with farangs are being spied upon and should any transgression of their work permit terms (if a work permit exists) be spotted then an uncomfortable visit to the police station takes place, followed by an under the table fine and a monthly payment thereafter.

None of the above is speculation. It's real. Other places may be less blatant but I bet it goes on to some degree.

The national English language newspaper that I'm not allowed to link to has an article on this today, specifically mentioning the area I'm referring to in the post above.

Tell him to call into Chumphon immigration office where they are still blatantly asking for an extra 3000 baht (with no reciet of course) to process visa extensions,if you don't pay you have to wait a month and you may or may not get your extension they threaten