What do Thai people mean when they say Chonburi?

user555

I have never been to Chonburi or to Pattaya. However, a Thai women told me about a place in Chonburi, and I wonder - is it just the same as Pattaya? 

So there is Chonburi province, and Chonburi city, right? And Pattaya is a town in Chonburi? 

42 minutes ago, user555 said:

I have never been to Chonburi or to Pattaya. However, a Thai women told me about a place in Chonburi, and I wonder - is it just the same as Pattaya? 

So there is Chonburi province, and Chonburi city, right? And Pattaya is a town in Chonburi? 

Welcome to the club.  I can't count the number of times I've read an article, wondered where it happened on the map, fired up Google Earth's search function and found out there's 12 places in Thailand with that name.  Often hundreds of miles apart.  

Then there's the different spellings.  Driving to Pattaya my first time, I kept wondering if I was on the right road when the signs started pointing to Phatthaya (or some other spelling). 

All part of the adventure...

Correct.  It's like someone saying they're from New York.  They could be from Albany, NY, or from New York City.

I think most times that you hear Chonburi (an alternate spelling of Cholburi) people are probably referring to the city, not the province.  However, some people I know use "Chonburi" as a kind of euphemism for Pattaya, since they are embarrassed by the Pattaya's reputation.  e.g. "Where in Thailand do you live?"  "Oh, I live in Chonburi."  :whistling:

16 hours ago, SidJames said:

I do the same as sometimes I will say that I live in soi 5 :whistling:

Not in Soi 6 any more then?

For the online datemongers, note that the more savvy Pattaya lonely ladies now give their location variously as Chonburi, Banglamung and even Nongprue rather than be lumped in with the Pattaya slappers. But we all know they are actually all over the hill.... in Jomtien.

I find my self when speaking to Bangkok people that if I want to emphasize that I've come 'far' from out of town I say Chonburi, which sounds more provinvial, where as Pattaya just sounds like an hour and a half drive away... even though Chonburi is closer to Bangkok than Pattaya

Buy a map...... do they not have counties and shires in the UK / US.

There are 77 Districts in Thailand. They are  called in "English phonetic spelling" -  Chang Wats,  they all have a city - Muang that  is the administrative centre.

Nakhon is another name for City. Hence Nackon Sahwan, Nakon Ratchasima etc....the last one is  the old name for Korat. the largest Maung in Isaan.

Think yourself lucky these days  that  sign posts exist on the Highways and actually have Pattaya on them. 11years ago there were none.

Only signs read Chonburi, Rayong, and Sattahip..... Pattaya never existed...

The BBC world still spells it Phattaya.

30 minutes ago, lonewolf99 said:

There are 77 Districts in Thailand. They are  called in "English phonetic spelling" -  Chang Wats,  they all have a city - Muang that  is the administrative centre.

Nakhon is another name for City. Hence Nackon Sahwan, Nakon Ratchasima etc....the last one is  the old name for Korat. the largest Maung in Isaan.

That's useful information, but there's an error. Allow me to correct something. There are 77 provinces (or is it 79)? Provinces are divided into districts, known in Thai as amphur. Amphur are divided into sub-districts, known in Thai as tambol (or tambon).

Edited by LawrenceN

23 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Correct.  It's like someone saying they're from New York.  They could be from Albany, NY, or from New York City.

I think most times that you hear Chonburi (an alternate spelling of Cholburi) people are probably referring to the city, not the province.  However, some people I know use "Chonburi" as a kind of euphemism for Pattaya, since they are embarrassed by the Pattaya's reputation.  e.g. "Where in Thailand do you live?"  "Oh, I live in Chonburi."  :whistling:

I'm going for a gamee of golf in chonburi  ( translation  > playing up in Pattaya lol )

And this another good one; 

"Erawan Cave is an absolute 'must see' attraction in Udon Thani Province,...

How To Get To Erawan Cave

From Udon Thani, head westbound on route 210, through Nong Bua Lam Phu, and keep heading toward Loei. In the small town of Na Wang, turn right on to rural road 3012, heading north. This road will take you directly to the cave, some 16km further on."
The cave is not in Udon province but in fact much closer to Loei province. The district of Erawan is over the province border in Loei province.

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

That's useful information, but there's an error. Allow me to correct something. There are 77 provinces (or is it 79)? Provinces are divided into districts, known in Thai as amphur. Amphur are divided into sub-districts, known in Thai as tambol (or tambon).

AND.........." 2 Special Administrative Districts ",- only 2 exist - Bangkok and Pattaya...dig deep to find out this information

Also, Pattaya is in Banglamung District...

Edited by edwardflory
ADSL info

If someone live within Chonburi province but not Chonburi city (Amphur muaeng) itself but choose to describe their location as 'Chonburi' they're being vague, if you live in Sri Racha or Pattaya, the area is well known enough that people in other province/Bangkok would have an idea where that is....

But using just Amphur name to tell others where you're from can be problematic... if you live in relatively unknown place; like once I got a speeding ticket on the 331 from Amphur Bo Thong... still in Chonburi province... I'd never heard of such Amphur before....

So, it all depends on who you're talking to and what they think you know when they choose whether to use an Amphur name or the province name to talk about the area

9 hours ago, digbeth said:

I find my self when speaking to Bangkok people that if I want to emphasize that I've come 'far' from out of town I say Chonburi, which sounds more provinvial, where as Pattaya just sounds like an hour and a half drive away... even though Chonburi is closer to Bangkok than Pattaya

You'll be familiar with the Thai for, "Nudge, nudge, wink, wink" then?

Thais tend to use the name of the provincial capital when they really mean "somewhere in the province". I remember having to drive another 100km or so past Lopburi  when told "let's go visit X in Lopburi". I had wrongly assumed that this meant in the town itself. The actual place was in a very remote ampheu, very far away from the capital...

4 hours ago, user555 said:

OK Thanks everyone. You made things quite clear. 

I wonder about Chonburi city - is it very similar to Pattaya? Can you describe the city to an western outsider (who only knows North of Thailand) about the city?

No it isn't.

There is Pattaya...........and there is everywhere else.

On 2017/1/29 at 2:07 AM, wpcoe said:

I love to be honest to people. I just say, "I live in Pattaya, sort of Sodom and Gomorrah city you know?"

7 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Correct I put district when I meant Province....However if you look on line many web sites state there are 76 but there was a new Province made called Bueng Kan way up in the North East Corner of Isaan.

I do not have the list at hand - But the last Thai School I attended had a hand out with the provinces on it and the total was 77. The teachers told me about Bueng Kan, I have never met anyone from there....only the standard Provinces you hear, Roi Et, Korat, Udon......Sahkon Nahkon...Gin Maa (eat dog)

Maybe the total is 77 if you count Bangkok - which is classed as "special".

But then again,,,,,,,its not Bangkok its Krungthep.....etc. etc

......................Chonburi Town is not worth visiting.........

unless...you need a Thai granite Mortar and Pestle and you get them at - Ang Sila

here is a qoute about it...

A charming seaside-fishing village situated approximately 5 kilometers from Chonburi City center. People here are famous in fishing where visitors can come to buy dried and fresh seafood in cheap price. Apart from the market, visitors can touch the old charm beautiful of the town by walking through its 100-year-old market in the middle of the town. Ang Sila is also well known for its granite products that range from giant rock sculpture to famous Thai kitchenware like mortars.

Now we all know this because someone did not know where Chonburi was...........

Chonburi City can't be compared to Pattaya City.

Chonburi City wakes up around 6 a.m. and falls asleep after 8 p.m.

Most entertainment can be found in the outskirts of Chonburi City along the roads to Ang Sila, Ban Bueng, Panat Nikom and of course Bang Saen has enough on offer, but that's approx. 10 km away. 

Chonburi City is thriving on Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate and along the seaside you will find some small fisher-communities.

Pattaya City is almost 24/7 alive. 

The only 'quiet' times are from 2-3 a.m. until 7-8 a.m., but even then you'll find enough entertainment serving the die-hards.