Tow them all, Bangkok gov suggests for sidewalk scofflaws

snoop1130

Tow them all, Bangkok gov suggests for sidewalk scofflaws

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

13823402831382340366l-696x466.jpg

A truck is towed from in front of a court on Ratchadapisek Road on Oct. 21, 2013, the first day of a heavily promoted crackdown on illegal parking by Bangkok authorities. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — Bangkok’s governor is proposing a tenfold increase in fines and impounding vehicles for using the capital’s sidewalks.

Bangkok Gov. Aswin Kwanmuang suggested at a meeting with city law enforcement Monday,increasing the maximum fines for driving or parking on the sidewalk from 500 baht to 5,000 baht, as well as towing vehicles, to curtail the widespread behavior.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2017/01/30/tow-bangkok-gov-suggests-sidewalk-scofflaws/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-1-30

There is a sign by the police box just as you come out of the Thong lor BTS station saying there is a 5000 baht maximum fine for people who ride or park on the side walk. There are bikes parked next to the sign and plenty of riders riding past it.

Why bother ?

51 minutes ago, berybert said:

There is a sign by the police box just as you come out of the Thong lor BTS station saying there is a 5000 baht maximum fine for people who ride or park on the side walk. There are bikes parked next to the sign and plenty of riders riding past it.

Why bother ?

Yes, and every day there are 4 or 5 police motorcycles parked, taking up over half of the footpath.

Also nearly every morning I see a police man riding his motorbike either on the wrong side of the road or on the footpath for about 200 metres as he wants to turn right into Ekamai 19.

Also notice the zebra crossing outside the police station is constantly blocked by motorcycles parked outside the restaurant on the opposite side of the road.

I always thought that most people come to Thailand because it's easy going.

Turns out, at least according to the previous posters and many others, that this is not true. They want the people to follow the laws to the point. Even if they are not affected by violators. The same kind of people I actually run away Germany.

I recommend these picky people to move to Malaysia/Kuala Lumpur. You do not have people selling things on the pavements/sidewalks. You do not have them driving on it. You have a sterilized life like in the West.

What are you doing in Thailand?

21 minutes ago, zappalot said:

Turns out, at least according to the previous posters and many others, that this is not true. They want the people to follow the laws to the point. Even if they are not affected by violators. The same kind of people I actually run away Germany.

I recommend these picky people to move to Malaysia/Kuala Lumpur. You do not have people selling things on the pavements/sidewalks. You do not have them driving on it. You have a sterilized life like in the West.

Hmm do the authorities in your country legislate for locals who live and work in the area or do they legislate for the desires of tourists?

The authorities are doing this to improve the lives of their own people; they don't give a rat's ass whether or not Westerners prefer "easy going"

I'm all for this, they should include fining construction vehicles on the pavements.

A truck was parked on the sidewalk on sukhumvit the other day restricting the path of pedestrians and forcing them to pass in a narrow space between a tree and their truck or have to move into sukhumvit road to get past. The workers unloading the truck moved some rebars on the back of the truck to overhang the side of the truck at eye level further restricting the path of pedestrians. I was not concentrating whilst talking to my wife and walked straight into those rebars. Fortunately I was wearing my sunglasses which prevented the rebar penetrating my right eye, my sunglasses were damaged and new lenses put me out of pocket a few thousand baht. I was livid.

1 hour ago, zappalot said:

By occupying the sidewalk with vehicles and food stalls, you force people to walk on the road. A road is not a very safe place for a pedestrian. Don't worry about things getting too sterile, that won't happen. 

2 hours ago, zappalot said:

Come on!!!! This is to improve the traffic situation in Bangkok, which is horrific. On many roads there are three lanes but you can only use one lane because:

1. Some idiot workshop park all their repair projects out front in the street.

2. Taxis has stopped to wait for passengers, and blocking the second lane permanently because they are going out into the traffic again.

3. A large market has spilled out into the first lane, second lane is used by shoppers and pedestrians.

4. The usual inconsiderate idiot just decided to park permanently on the first lane, making all cars that need to stop shortly to stop in the second lane.

5. etc etc.....

Maybe I'm getting to be a bit of an old fart?! One of the big problems that Thailand has is with law enforcement, and I'm not being a hang 'em & flog 'em killjoy. Maybe this will turn out to be just another flash in the pan, as "crackdowns" tend to be. But I think the Thais need to get serious about enforcing their laws regarding road traffic.

Your idea of easy going doesn't quite work if everywhere you go, nothing is easy. Does it?

15 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

install CCTV at some of the hotspots (monitored by the Army of course), and if cars/bikes are still doing it then impose heavy fines on the police for not doing their job. Problem solved, give me another one to fix! :cowboy:

Or install a police force who can actually do policing.

I have never understood why they have not being doing this aggressively.  It's a bonanza for everyone.  Bribes, increased ticket revenue, towing concession fees etc.  Everone wins, traffic flows better and pedestrians get to twist an ankle on the broken down sidewalks.

5,000 baht fine for riding motorcycles on sidewalks in urban areas

887_Ride.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Riding or parking motorcycles or other vehicles on sidewalks during rush hours in urban areas will now face a fine of 5,000 baht.

This is the latest instruction given to all Bangkok’s 50 district offices by Bangkok governor Pol Gen Asawin Kwanmuang in his attempt to stamp out illegal riding on footpaths that is threatening the safety of pedestrians.

The governor said all district offices were told to erect signs banning riding on city pavements, and to make constant patrol by city police on sidewalks to make sure no motorcycles are parked or ridden on pavements.

Initially he said city police were told to focus on sidewalks in traffic congested urban areas during rush hours, particularly on Sukhumvit, Rama 4, Phetburi, Phaholyothin, Ratchadapisek, and Charunsanitwong roads.

He said violator will first given warning upon sighting riding or parking on sidewalks during rush hours.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/5000-baht-fine-riding-motorcycles-sidewalks-urban-areas/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-31

18 hours ago, berybert said:

Why bother ?

Only applies when the flavor of the year time occurs. A variation of the old Gong show. Rather surprised to see a tow truck here in Thailand amazing. Where do they hide these? We could use a fleet of them in Chiang Mai just for motorbikes alone. Problem solved. 

I'm thrilled about this! I hope the "crackdown" continues and isn't just a photo opp for once. They usually don't.

It's illegal to park anywhere on my soi, yet it's lined with cars, making it dangerous as hell to walk down. I wish they'd line up the tow trucks and take em all.

18 hours ago, berybert said:

Why bother ?

The fact they have a sign doesn't mean it's actually a law that is enforceable.

Noting the small detail in the Thai PBS report. "He said violator will first given warning upon sighting riding or parking on sidewalks during rush hours."  I guess that sentence will be open to interpretation. 

It's very welcome on my soi in sunny Asoke.

The tessakit have actually set up a manned desk and a canopy and are preventing the oiks working in the soi Cowboy establishments from parking their scooters on the sidewalk.

To my delight, they've also gotten rid of the selfish old boot of a food vendor who allows her one-paw-in-the-grave dog to literally lie across the sidewalk forcing mothers with prams or shopping to take their chances vying for space on the road with the traffic.

22 hours ago, berybert said:

Why bother ?

Because better to be assumed to be doing nothing than seen to be doing nothing.

5 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

I'm thrilled about this! I hope the "crackdown" continues and isn't just a photo opp for once. They usually don't.

It's illegal to park anywhere on my soi, yet it's lined with cars, making it dangerous as hell to walk down. I wish they'd line up the tow trucks and take em all.

Wish in one and crap in the other and see which one fills up first.

11 hours ago, zappalot said:

What are we doing in Thailand? Enjoying life.

I certainly didn't come here to escape the strict enforcement of the law in my own country, but I understand why you left Germany. It is probably the one country that I have been to that really enforces the law. 

I was merely pointing out that the people who are supposed to enforce the law in this country are among those who break the law. Surely they should be setting an example.