Careful of toxic Strawberries around Chiang Mai

DumbFalang

The wife and I moved away from BKK to Samoeng just over a year ago to take things easy and grow a few 'clean' vegetables. Things never seem to work out the way you plan and we somehow stumbled into starting a Strawberry farm. We've learned a lot about how the locals grow Strawberries and it's been an eye opener as far as the use of toxic sprays goes.

We made the decision to use only organic pesticide and fungicide sprays and as neither of us can carry 20 litres of solution on our backs, we use local labour to get the job done. 'How much does this organic stuff cost you'? the locals are quick to ask. When we tell them it costs Bt600 per session, they are shocked and then offer us advice on how we could get the job done for just Bt60 with the toxic equivalent.

The shop we buy from told us that they had never sold organic pesticide products to a Strawberry farmer before - and a lot of their Customers grow Strawberries. I'm sure there must be other Strawberry farms out there that do not use toxic sprays, so if you enjoy your Strawberries at this time of year and value your health, then it's well worth doing your research so you don't get caught out.

Edited by DumbFalang

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And the proven CM fatality/injury/disease  rate from these killer strawberries is what.  zip nil nada.

<deleted>.

Maybe start another thread..perhaps they are GM strawberies.....then we have toxic mutant killer strawberries.

Would not the same or similar sprays be used for commercial  rice, corn, pineapple, papaya, chilli, etc 

If you have legitimate serious concerns why not take up with Agriculture or Health Depts or at least post some proven info on science and extent of use and by who to them etc.

Everyone in CM has little or not control over tthe food supply chain.....thank God this type of thing never happens in other countries :)  otherwise we would have mad cow/BSE  in places like the UK and USA, or bird flu in Japan and Korea.

Perhaps we should all eat McDonalds..... (sorry forget about sugar and salt content).

And there I was thinking all I had to worry about for the next few months health wise was burning season and Songkran

Toxic strawberries? Toxic to who or what? There may be an effect of organic farming on fecundity and longevity in butterflies, and hence on butterfly diversity, but we are not butterflies, are we?

It is important to understand the risks before naming a thing or process "toxic".

You would need to know if the pesticides are being applied within safe limits. Much of the chemicals are washed off, anyway.

Let's wait until there is something really scary before scaring people, and at least let's investigate the facts and then report the amounts actually being used together with some validated studies showing whether or not there is any measurable negative attributable effect.

If we report results of good science rather than unsubstantiated untested assumptions, then people in general might not worry so much.

Of course, similar sprays are used on a lot of other fruits and vegetables and they are best avoided too - if you care about that sort of thing.....

If you don't, then Mai Pen Rai ;-)

Edited by DumbFalang

Interesting you should mention this . A couple in my friend's village (father and son) were almost wiped out a month or so ago by strawberries . Luckily they were fairly close to the hospital and they had stomachs drained etc. They had eaten ice cream with fresh strawberries just beforehand and it sure was not the ice cream.

I haven't touched a strawberry this year after hearing that!

I have never eaten Strawberries since the Guy that was emptying our septic tank,

said he was taking the sh@t up to the Strawberry fields,so it's not just toxic spray

you should be worried about.

regards worgeordie

One sad thing we don't get to hear about much is the long term damage that it does to the poor workers using the spray machines. These people probably have little knowledge of how dangerous the sprays are and even if they knew, they'd probably still have to do it because they need the money.

Although not specific to strawberries, there was a research scientist who is an M.D. who studied the effects of pesticides sprayed on the produce grown up in the North of Thailand. He followed the cases of numerous patients in the Chiang Rai area, many of which had thyroid and other cancers. The one thing all the patients had in common was that they did not wash their fruits and veggies in baking soda and then rinsing them prior to consuming them.  We have been following this procedure now for about 6 years.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I have never eaten Strawberries since the Guy that was emptying our septic tank,

said he was taking the sh@t up to the Strawberry fields,so it's not just toxic spray

you should be worried about.

regards worgeordie

Night soil actually can lead to severe illness, unlike proper use of agrochemicals judiciously applied. Night soil can lead to death for those with compromised immune response.

If one becomes suddenly ill after consuming strawberries, then E.coli contamination would be something which should be ruled out.

Pesticides, on the other hand, might not affect the consumer for days or months or years, if ever.

When considering strawberry problems, then one is immediately reminded of the strawberry fiasco aboard the USS Caine.

But let's not too soon become paranoid over proper use of agrochemicals until we know the =facts=. This was Herman Wouk's message and we should listen. 

No doubt in the near future we will all be able to test for pathogens on our phones, and test for chemical contamination, as well.

Accurate and timely knowledge will reduce irrational fear among the ill-informed and contribute to our collective peace of mind.

Thailand strawberries, especially those cultivated in Chiang Mai, are astoundingly delicious! When I am offered one, I do not refuse! That would be lunacy.

8d28d2d5-8a7a-4a6f-a020-2953df605735-2060x1236.jpeg?w=1200&h=630&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=crop&crop=faces%2Centropy&bm=normal&ba=bottom%2Cleft&blend64=aHR0cHM6Ly91cGxvYWRzLmd1aW0uY28udWsvMjAxNi8wNS8yNS9vdmVybGF5LWxvZ28tMTIwMC05MF9vcHQucG5n&s=a07b9da9f918b381fe2367991c40558aCalifornia’s strawberry industry is hooked on dangerous pesticides
A decision to dismantle strict oversight designed to protect Californians from dangerous chemicals has put more than 100 communities at greater risk of cancer

Methyl Bromide might be another worry.

But life is too short not to keep eating Chiang Mai strawberries.

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

The OP does not state any facts or support his mention of "toxic" pesticides. No names, no labels, no peer-reviewed studies of effect, doses and exposure. 

Guy should work at CNN. 

The aim of the thread is to make people aware of what goes on in the Strawberry growing industry in Thailand. If just one person does their own research and makes a decision not to eat Strawberries from an untrusted source, then it will have been worth my time and effort.

Did you read the Thai Visa editorial from the link I posted above?

16 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Who really wants to eat a strawberry which is in name only. The worst tasting things I have ever tried never ripe and to small to enjoy

My thoughts exactly but there are a few people above who obviously disagree. There are also millions of Thai's in Bangkok who dip sour strawberries into sugar and know no different.

6 minutes ago, DumbFalang said:

My thoughts exactly but there are a few people above who obviously disagree. There are also millions of Thai's in Bangkok who dip sour strawberries into sugar and know no different.

I once lived in New England, as opposed to old England, and in summer months there was nothing better than sour strawberries and white processed sugar.

I do love this combination so.

The concatenation of extreme sour and pure sweet sugar is better than heaven ever could be, in my view.

So why do you think I moved to Thailand, anyway?  Of course the reason is because my sense of taste and sensibilities so wonderfully coincide with everything I find in this wonderful land of Thailand.

Edited by GiantBlob

3 minutes ago, opalred said:

i never eat 

many years ago grew in oz the sprays you had to do was unreal 

some bad  sprays had a withholding period of 7 days by law

you have to pick them every 2nd day work that out

....and to make matters worse - I've been told that most pesticides in use over here have been banned in other countries.

My house looks over several farms and we talk to the farmers daily. They often spray in the evening (we smell it) and pick the following morning. The most fascinating part is that some of their products are sold as organic.

1 minute ago, DumbFalang said:

....and to make matters worse - I've been told that most pesticides in use over here have been banned in other countries.

My house looks over several farms and we talk to the farmers daily. They often spray in the evening (we smell it) and pick the following morning. The most fascinating part is that some of their products are sold as organic.

Washing all produce is good advice. You are absolutely correct.

Thanks for the strawberry-info, DumbFalang,

I think, most of us should/must know these facts. No?

' The wife and I moved away from BKK to Samoeng just over a year ago

to take things easy and grow a few 'clean' vegetables. '

So, good luck with your plans.

In our area almost every farmer uses herbicides and insecticides.

That's concerning rice, corn, water melons, vegetables.

I'm absolutely sure, not always the suggested mix. And this might

be the most important problem...

One only can hope, that these pesticides become too expensive.

Again, good luck!

I don't know about pineapple, but I doubt the bananas are "safe".  Most of the banana leaves we see for sale in the markets -- you know the ones that are used to line the plates in restaurants -- are coated with the residue of Daconil.  I know this fungicide very well.  It is a very good fungicide, but it has a "12 hr re-entry period",  and any worker who comes into contact with plants, fruit or vegetables treated with Daconil within 7 day must have access to an eye and hand washing station.  This is according to its label.  Yet we see Daconil-treated produce at the local Thai markets (not at the supermarkets, where the produce is better washed) and more importantly, we see the Thai workers handling the produce.

Do a Google search on Daconil.  It's not a nerve poison insecticide.  Just simply a fungicide, but one that can be a major skin irritant and cause blindness, yet we see it used very casually here.  We know this chemical because we used it in our previous greenhouse/nursery business.

I'm the first to admit, I'm not as knowledgeable about insecticides.  Our business specialized in garden roses -- admittedly prone to fungal disease, but we found that if we they were healthy we attracted a good lady bug population that kept the aphids and other chewing critters under control.  We used Daconil only as part of the rotation in mid-summer, after we'd exhausted the benefits of another, better fungicide that was much better on the ladybug larvae and only had to be sprayed once every 21 days.  Compass.  It was dynamite stuff.  No residue.  But it was $600 for a very small bottle and after two spray cycles you had to switch to something else for a couple months or the fungus would start to laugh at you.  We used it during the time when the lady bugs were in the larvae stage and after that, we'd go out and knock up the plants in the nursery (literally) to scare away the lady bugs before spraying fungicides that could be dangerous to them.

So, you see, it takes a level of sophistication to use these chemicals that most Thai farmers don't have.  There is nothing inherently wrong with using non-organic chemical on food crops, in my opinion, provided the correct label instructions are followed. Problem is that the label instructions are rarely followed here.

10 hours ago, DumbFalang said:

One sad thing we don't get to hear about much is the long term damage that it does to the poor workers using the spray machines. These people probably have little knowledge of how dangerous the sprays are and even if they knew, they'd probably still have to do it because they need the money.

How do you get around the legalities of running a strawberry farm? Who is your company registered with?  If others are growing and selling fruit and vegetables as private enterprises, then they are off the radar of the public health department and these produce could be a danger to the public that I find worrying.

There was a case last year when at one of the elephant farms an elephant dropped dead after continuously being fed bananas bought for them by tourists. The bananas were full of chemicals that eventually killed the elephant. I wouldn`t trust anything here and probably better off to buy at one of the main supermarket chains.

6 hours ago, NancyL said:

I don't know about pineapple, but I doubt the bananas are "safe".  

Bananas are very very easy to grow without any spraying, been doing it for decades and Thais for centuries.  You spend too much time surrounded by concrete.

8 hours ago, NancyL said:

So, you see, it takes a level of sophistication to use these chemicals that most Thai farmers don't have.

You've hit the nail on the head there NancyL. They need education and guidance - which costs money. Money which is maybe better spent on a submarine to protect us from erm.... erm - something more dangerous?

If just one person does their own research and makes a decision not to eat Strawberries from an untrusted source, then it will have been worth my time and effort.

I always put my faith in untrusted sources. And talk radio. 

Any time I order Thai food, such as pad thai, I soak it in baking soda for 20 minutes and rinse thoroughly prior to consumption.

He is more than correct about the strawberries, you simply must wash your vegtables and fruit....a few spoons of salt is very effective.....

the biggest problem researchers identified....limits of residue well over safe 

Levels.....the use of organic labeling in supermarkets....surprise surprise the supermarkets had the highest level of toxins.....there were some instances 

where they found non toxic levels and that was from ma and pa roadside stalls where the produce was home grow,........the big supermarkets get premium price and the consumer gets high levels of poison....tit