Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry: company upbeat as ferry begins charging

webfact

27 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I'd like to see it thrive.  Never been to Pattaya, but I have visited HH, and liked it.  I may take the ferry from HH to Pattaya, two new experiences, then a bus back to Bangkok.

The BK-HH-P triangular route would be ideal for many tourists, and will be popular if it is well publicised.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

At least 29%  capacity during peak season, when the service is free, and they're talking about a second boat???

Now that's what I call optimism

This is what I call a Thai Business Plan ...

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

At least 29%  capacity during peak season, when the service is free, and they're talking about a second boat???

Now that's what I call optimism 

If they're looking for investors for this second boat, although their specialty is bridges, there's a team of guys over in the states who could be interested

Unless the plan has changed, the second boat will be able to carry cars and scooters in addition to passengers.  They may be able to make a go of it carrying cargo, vehicles and passengers.  Worth a try as long as they have a "Plan B" for the equipment if they can't make it work.  

What's it cost to lease a couple of boats for a few months to dial it in?  They may even be getting the boats on a free trial, with the shipyard hoping for a sale -or even a fleet of sales if they start auto ferries to BKK, Samui, Songkhla, etc.

Or, they can do what successful entrepreneurs have been doing for centuries- sit on their money and lament that it'll never work.

2 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

I completely agree. For myself and the missus using this rerun ferry is 5000 baht.. Far too much money for a ferry. For that money I can hire a minibus for the day with driver and take a dozen of us and probably buy everyone lunch.

Someone has got this very wrong and it will probably fail to become economically viable.

100% 

12 hours ago, sahibji said:

I feel the numbers will pick up if the ferry service is on time and efficient. the time savings to commute between the two destinations will make it worth it.

Your optimism is admirable........sadly T.I.T. and these things (on time and efficient) do not happen :whistling:

5 hours ago, sahibji said:

I feel the numbers will pick up if the ferry service is on time and efficient. the time savings to commute between the two destinations will make it worth it.

It's cheaper, quicker and more efficient to drive.

Can't see if working

3 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

I completely agree. For myself and the missus using this rerun ferry is 5000 baht.. Far too much money for a ferry. For that money I can hire a minibus for the day with driver and take a dozen of us and probably buy everyone lunch.

Someone has got this very wrong and it will probably fail to become economically viable.

Then You just go by minibus and enjoy Yourself while I use the ferry and not have to worry about the traffic.....:partytime2:

Just had another look, construction work around pier at Hua hin coming along well , should be decent area to arrive/ depart from, and ok to use now.

however only information in entire area is a small 6x4 " notice on glass door of newly built " holding bay" saying Hua hin to pattaya ferry, and telephone No!

Now don't know if it's advertised in some local rag, but if I didn't hear about this service in TV , wouldn't have known it existed.

suggest that 99% of people here in that "boat!" No nothing about it!

no advertising, no information, equals no customers!

is this company so ridiculously inept!

4 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

So food prices DOUBLE due to "supply and demand" and not due to the usual RIP-OFF philosophy?.   How many tourists do you think are put off by these tactics and resolve to go elsewhere?  Many Thais only think about the moment and not about the future.  This is why tourist numbers which have grown year by year in the past , without a proportionate increase or improvement in related infrastructure, will now gradually decline or at the very least fail to grow (despite the usual TAT propaganda).  Nowadays, nearly every Asian country is touting for tourist business and some have as much or more to offer than Thailand, so people are comparing the relative services offered as well as other factors like safety (on the roads and elsewhere) and the possibility of falling foul of the false smiles and the corrupt justice system.

I do not want Thailand to fail economically as I live here but, what with the Thai Government and the attitude of many service providers, Thais seem to be their own worst enemies.

The peak season in Hua Hin is quite short. Usually a month or so. Then it kind of tapers off for the next couple of months. Price gouging should be considered a serious crime, and punishable with penalties that would mean something to the perpetrators. Tourists are not dumb. Nobody likes getting ripped off. Most of the restaurants are quite full right now, and they are making plenty of money charging the normal prices. If at some point Thailand stops being a good value, people will stop coming. Already, Western tourism is falling off to an alarming degree, partly thanks to this tone deaf, nationalistic administration, populated by ignorant neophytes, who care nothing for the Thai people. The average Thais that is. 

I just returned from a week long trip to Hua HIn via Bell Transport.  The bus service is first class with the exception that there needs to be a 15 minute break somewhere during the trip to stretch legs, use the bathroom, etc.  With a price of 389 baht each way the ferry just does not make economical sense at 999 baht or 1250 baht each way.  I do hope the ferry service is successful but charging at 2 or 3 times the bus rate will probably doom it.

Don't get mad, it's just my opinion!!:smile:

4 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

It's cheaper, quicker and more efficient to drive.

Can't see if working

If you're one of the tiny percentage of people in Thailand who actually own a car here...  Most tourists don't, either.

10 hours ago, steveyinasia said:

"eight VIPs is available for 14,000 baht per trip"  that's one very expensive VIP option, what do you get for the price?

The satisfaction of people admiring you for being able to afford it. Lots of face!:saai:

The satisfaction of people admiring you for being able to afford it. Lots of face!:saai:

Toursits can and do hire cars ,bikes and even pickup trucks...a ferry thats big enough to take vehicles,hasnt been tried yet and I think it would be the only viable option..having a boat that doesn't travel half the time because the waves are to big just doesnt make sense.

11 hours ago, midas said:

But where is the saving if the weather suddenly turns bad before the return journey and you have to stay overnight in Hua Hin ?

Do you have the same concerns about a car or van or bus breaking down during the drive to HH & Pattaya?

4 hours ago, johng said:

Toursits can and do hire cars ,bikes and even pickup trucks...a ferry thats big enough to take vehicles,hasnt been tried yet and I think it would be the only viable option..having a boat that doesn't travel half the time because the waves are to big just doesnt make sense.

Hiring/renting a vehicle brings the driving cost more in line with the ferry cost, no?

Yes motorbike 100 baht ,car 800,pickup truck 1000 baht per day + you have transportation to and from the ferry and to do whatever during the trip.

being able to cut out 4 hours travel time between Pattaya -Hua Hin and avoiding Bangkok altogether would be useful.

On 2/3/2017 at 8:11 AM, joepattaya1961 said:

346 people? At first there were talks about 150!!

Anyway, if during the 'free' period a 100 people joined the free rides, I guess that number will fall drastically as soon as the paid rides kick off.

Good pick up.

initial info said 150 pax, with a second ferry capable of taking 262 pax, if the first ferry was sussesful.

IMG_3405.PNG

" they are yet to release passenger numbers from the first day  "

I guess we will see in due course....................

I had a clear view of the ferry this morning from Pratumnak Hill just before its departure at 10:30 AM. I was there about 10.10 a.m.and I was counting how many people were walking down that part of the pier which was very quiet. First I noticed one couple and then a few minutes later another couple and finally I noticed a group of about nine Indian guys but they turned left again and boarded one of the timber constructed excursion boats....................and that was it!

of course there could have been throngs of people already on board but  for a Saturday morning it seemed very quiet

I just wanna know two things:

--who exactly is the anonymous company/officials operating this service (beyond just the company name that's been publicly used)?

--now that the test period over over, is the Royal Navy ship going to continue to shadow the ferry back and forth on every trip as a kind of, for lack of a better term, Thai life insurance policy?