Video of farang waiter working at Bangkok restaurant goes viral

webfact

15 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Slightly off topic, but serving food in the correct order is a common issue in Thai restaurants.

Orders are being prepared and first cooked is first served. 

Pretty usual that dessert comes first and soup last and yes....a deep fried seabrass will arrive after you're about to 'check bill'. 

And this can happen in upscale Thai resaurants as well.....once I ordered springrolls as an appetizer (I found them in the appetizer section of the menu).....guess what?

It's an issue for foreigners not for Thais.

I remember watching an interview of  british restaurant owner who met instant fame with chinese tourists when his pub was listed on a famous Chinese tourist guide. He said the major change he had to adapt with was to serve all the dishes (entree/main/desert) at the same time because that's what his new found customers expected.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some people make me be ashamed to be a "farang", really. Thats why i go far away from them in Bangkok usually. SOme of you guys are just arrogant, ignorant, selfish and whatever. You expect all people working in a Restaurant speaking english? Why english? Why not french, german or Japanese? They have at least as many people from that countries. Ahh i forgot... you expect everyone, also the other people from other countries to speak english... I bet most of the ppl complaining dont speak more than one language. And even more live in Thailand without to ever think about maybe learn some words THai to not run into this situations?

I live here no soon 5 or 6 years together and for some reason never run into problems in a restaurant. WHy may that be? Because i took the time to inform myself of the country and the language of the place i choose to live in.

Its a shame....

Edited by Saenchai

16 hours ago, Thian said:

Even when my wife orders the food more than half of the times something goes wrong with our order. Even when i ask something in Thai (like for a knife or so) they reply to my wife and i'm invisible for them. They also don't know the difference between a butterknife or a steakknife.  They like to stand in the way, make a lot of noise with collecting plates/dishes, can't speak english of course, put my food at the other end of the table, don't make sure i have all condiments like pepper/salt/sauces..and so on...That's what i call dumb waiters, totally untrained and have never been to a real restaurant themselves.

You have to train your missus to redirect them to you when they do that. Mrs Dog does that masterfully on occasion by playing dumb and pointing out that she was not the one who asked the question. This spares her from listening to my comments like, "Am I invisible."

6 minutes ago, Saenchai said:

s?

I live here no soon 5 or 6 years together and for some reason never run into problems in a restaurant. WHy may that be? Because i took the time to inform myself of the country and the language of the place i choose to live in.

Its a shame....

You should try places other than KFC and Muckdonalds, even Thais often have problems, wrong food arriving, rice arriving 30 mins after the main meal, no have this no have that, wrong bill amounts, etc. It can be amusing but more often annoying as no real excuse most of the time.

You don't live in BKK matey....they hire the cheapest waiters they can find...totally uneducated it seems.

Last week i ordered 3 mini whoppers takeaway at burger king...after repeating my order 6 times i gave up and left the place. Even the chef didn't understand me.

To claim that you couldn't order three of something in a Burger King in Bangkok is ludicrous.

Point at the item on the menu, say "Sarm Krup" and hold up 3 fingers.   Say "take out" and indicate over your shoulder with your thumb to show you are going away.

And in which Burger King would they have a chef, let alone bring him out to try and confer with a customer?

You are just trying to 'prove' your opinion that Thais are stupid.

Maybe its exactly the other way around. I never go there. I go to Thai places where usually the owners or waiters already know what i want before i open the mouth because they know me. Its also places where there is nothing to understand something wrong. When i order red curry i get ed curry, if i order green curry i get green one.

18 minutes ago, Saenchai said:

Ahh i forgot... you expect everyone, also the other people from other countries to speak english...

Exactly this, except they also want everything to be exactly like their home country, except at only 10% of the cost, then bitch and moan when the Thais do it the Thai way, and not the Farang way like at home.

15 hours ago, Mook23 said:

I feel sorry for u .  That is indeed a bridge too far. Iteam. Who invents this? 

You are the one I feel sorry for.   You can't grasp the fact that a foreign language with different vocal sounds has a different word for Ice Cream.

Thai for Ice Cream is "Ay Sa Cream"      https://translate.google.com/#th/en/ไอศครีม

"I Tim" is more of a casual way to say Ice Cream   https://translate.google.com/#th/en/ไอ ติม

Even when my wife orders the food more than half of the times something goes wrong with our order. Even when i ask something in Thai (like for a knife or so) they reply to my wife and i'm invisible for them. They also don't know the difference between a butterknife or a steakknife.  They like to stand in the way, make a lot of noise with collecting plates/dishes, can't speak english of course, put my food at the other end of the table, don't make sure i have all condiments like pepper/salt/sauces..and so on...That's what i call dumb waiters, totally untrained and have never been to a real restaurant themselves.

It's called 'white fright' in China. I speak to Chinese people in their own language and they freak out or look at the nearest Chinese person. I know I speak well but it freaks them out. I haven't encountered it much here but seems like it exists here too.

18 hours ago, Pib said:

It will take a while to roundup the 50 cops as most are at traffic checkpoints around the country collecting donations.   Plus they will want to ensure all the media is available for this high profile, dangerous arrest.

and in the rainy season (a cab driver told me), most are pi***d by 4pm in "safe" bars--which is why nobody controls the ugly traffic jams after 3.30pm and it's bedlam.

53 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Slightly off topic, but serving food in the correct order is a common issue in Thai restaurants.

Pretty usual that dessert comes first and soup last and yes....a deep fried seabrass will arrive after you're about to 'check bill'. 

And this can happen in upscale Thai resaurants as well.....once I ordered springrolls as an appetizer (I found them in the appetizer section of the menu).....guess what?

It sucks. My pizza and salad arrived AFTER the meat and noodles, the chocolate cake and coffee last week. I sent them backWhere is the logic? Can anyone explain? Come on you armchair pundits!

7 minutes ago, pauleddy said:

It sucks. My pizza and salad arrived AFTER the meat and noodles, the chocolate cake and coffee last week. I sent them backWhere is the logic? Can anyone explain? Come on you armchair pundits!

There's not a lot of logic in you asking about logic.

How about dumb customers who have little cultural awareness of where they are and expect everyone to conform to their ideas? Thai's don't usually eat bread and butter. Hence no butter knife! Why would they speak English? This is Thailand after all. And Thais don't eat pepper and salt with every dish. The condiments for noodles etc are usually shared between tables so move your lazy ass and get it yourself especially if you are in a street food style restaurant. Of course if you are in a Michelin style restaurant you can expect real table service. Now that's what I call dumb customers...

Perhaps your wife has lost face with you.

18 hours ago, Thian said:

I've watched the streets of Chinatown for many weeks....you rarely see a farang there mate.

And the ones you do see are watching their cellphones for google maps but even that doesn't work properly cause you can't download a free map of Bangkok....You can download loads of offline maps but not in Thailand.

BKK needs many more farang waiters, the dumb waiters is the reason i won't eat in many restaurants without a Thai friend.

just curious how long have you lived in thailand? are you not picking up the language at all?

5 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

My country is full with thai restaurants and thai people working in it.for us that is normal.But here they made the laws in a different way.

And your point being ???

17 hours ago, Thian said:

Nearly all waiters and waitresses in a restaurant, after 1700 hrs, are students trying to earn something extra.

They wake up at 0600 hrs in the morning and go to school until 1600 or 1700 hrs.

A quick bite to eat in the local 7/11 and working to about 2300 or 2400 hrs nighttime, every day.

So calling these boys and girls "dumb waiters" is not nice and shows your ignorance of life here in Thailand.

I have worked in china and America for many years but prefer to live in Bangkok. BKK is a great city. 

The difference between China and Thailand is simple. All the moaners and Thai bashers  who choose to live here and criticize and make fun of the locals would be taken to the airport by several armed men and permanently banned. Some of you better hope and pray Thailand and china don't get too friendly or you will be griping about your new home in wherever land. I don't wish you any harm or trouble but I do wish you would save the rest of us from your constant proclamations of misery and intellectual superiority over the hosts of the country that voluntarily allows you to live here. And yes Thailand would survive without your attitude, pension and presence just as your home countries currently survive without you. 

Edited by Wake Up

29 minutes ago, pauleddy said:

That is because Thais don't eat in 'courses' like we do.   

If you want to order starters and have them be served first, and you expect them to be cleared before the main courses are served, then you need to go and eat in far more upscale establishments.

Otherwise, instead of ordering the whole meal just order the starters.  Eat them then order your next course.  Finally order dessert and coffee.

18 hours ago, djayz said:

In many western countries it's quite common to see Asians, Africans, etc. working alongside caucasians. Here, I'd also be surprised to see a Caucasian working in a restaurant, but I sure wouldn't record it. 

He should button up his shirt a little more. 

yes indeed.   In Australia it's quite usual to be served by a student from an Asian country.  It's no big deal and it shouldn't be here if the waiter is not obviously Asian.  He might well have been born here!!

I often eat at a Thai or Chinese restaurant in Australia.  Oddly enough, the owners, cooks, waiters are from those countries.

1 hour ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Been here on and off for 41 years and the mistaken order of food happens very rarely to me.Can't remember once this century.Farangs are too uptight about the little things,it all goes down the same hole and exits the same hole,i don't see a problem.

38 minutes ago, claffey said:

How about dumb customers who have little cultural awareness of where they are and expect everyone to conform to their ideas? Thai's don't usually eat bread and butter. Hence no butter knife! Why would they speak English? This is Thailand after all. And Thais don't eat pepper and salt with every dish. The condiments for noodles etc are usually shared between tables so move your lazy ass and get it yourself especially if you are in a street food style restaurant. Of course if you are in a Michelin style restaurant you can expect real table service. Now that's what I call dumb customers...

Another one who has never been to BKK but instead eats from streetfood "restaurants" and  thinks i also visit those dirty places.

Where i eat the food costs about the same as in Europe, beer even much more. So i expect some decent service yes and a knife if i order a mixed grill....and not a breakfast knife. But of course that's too hard for you to undastaaaan.

Hi-so restaurants have LOADS of european dishes, but of course you've never been to those places.

Have you ever heard them say wine?? If you say it the english way they have no idea what you're talking about.