Chiang Mai grocery price check

Airalee

If you want organic you have to find an organic farm first, they are around, and then see how they go about things and judge for yourself.  However; it's hard to find a farm that grows all the veggies you want in the same place.

As for pre-packed and marked organic; well, wherever it is would you ever trust Thai's to be on the level with you for anything ?   I don't; it's sad but you learn from a great deal of experience once you have lived here a few years.   The psyche is mainly fixed on money and your health and life, or anyone else's, local or Foreign, are simply of no interest to most business people here.  Rather similar to how much they care about their Environment...nothing !

Hate to break it to you but in the US there is no standard for certified organic. It is a very lose criteria.  Certain states have much stricter regulations but federally a lot that is certified organic isn't really.  They could have used chemicals for 50 years in the field and then one year not and it is still now organic under the federal regulations.

38 minutes ago, zeichen said:

Hate to break it to you but in the US there is no standard for certified organic. It is a very lose criteria.  Certain states have much stricter regulations but federally a lot that is certified organic isn't really.  They could have used chemicals for 50 years in the field and then one year not and it is still now organic under the federal regulations.

USDA is three years....and there are also rules about adjoining land to prevent cross contamination.  http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=164b1812a5f205350bd887707497acca&mc=true&node=se7.3.205_1202&rgn=div8

As of 20 years+ ago, in California the history of the soil most certainly played a role in the certification process.  I think it was 5-7 years of no pesticides.    California and USDA are the only ones I have seen in the US.  Here is the whole rule book as of 3 February 2017 for the USDA Organic program...might be better to read before you spout off things that aren't even close to being true:  http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=164b1812a5f205350bd887707497acca&mc=true&node=pt7.3.205&rgn=div5

Photo is 120 THB purchase from Royal Project....best I've seen since the Berkeley Farmer's Market (except for the almonds and olives).

royal.jpg

First of all many things can be labeled organic and aren't.  There have been some major scandals and whole foods and other organic distributors.  2nd. Some states have even stricter regulations to be labeled organic than federal claims.  Yes, there have been strides towards truly organic but it still isn't perfect. But keep living your fantasy that everything you eat labeled certified organic is purely organic.   

Unless you grow it yourself you will never know how "organic" or healthy it is.

But yes, the Doi Kahm markets have very good produce and I do feel safer eating their products.

There is vegetable rationing in the UK currently...and the Chinese are a joke.  The US are still the agricultural leaders of the world.  People still try and cheat, mistakes and accidents happen, and people die...all facts of life.  Life expectancy has doubled in merely a century.  Organic or not, some items are a lot less risky than others to eat if you are concerned about pesticides.  Leafy veggies can be risky, while peeled fruit is usually safer.  Even if you do grow it yourself, you won't know unless you test it and the soil and your water.  BTW, don't most non-native English teachers only eat dog ball soup at the canteen?

9 hours ago, MrBrad said:

As for produce at the local market vs at the supermarket, I wonder about this:

I have bought locally grown carrots, for example, at my neighborhood market, but wonder why, after 2 or 3 days on the counter top, they get limp and begin to turn black.  Even in the refrigerator carrots do not keep well.  And when cleaning and cutting the carrots, why does the cutting board turn orange?  I've never had these kinds of issues with carrots back in the States. 

I by far prefer the more expensive produce which is organically grown, and perhaps even imported from Australia.  The premium price is cheap insurance.  Who knows what is sprayed on the fruits and vegetables here?  Whenever I can--especially in my own kitchen--I prefer foods that are good for my health, rather than deleterious.

BioE come on.jpg

While I'd never store carrots on the counter top for 2 - 3 days (they belong in the refrigerator), I've got to agree about the issue of the "local" ones discoloring the cutting board, while the imported ones don't.  I suspect many "local" carrots really come from China, which may be even worse.  Recently, I've been paying a premium for organic carrots from either the U.S. or Australia and notice a much better flavor, plus they keep longer in the refrigerator.

16 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

If you want organic you have to find an organic farm first, they are around, and then see how they go about things and judge for yourself.  However; it's hard to find a farm that grows all the veggies you want in the same place.

As for pre-packed and marked organic; well, wherever it is would you ever trust Thai's to be on the level with you for anything ?   I don't; it's sad but you learn from a great deal of experience once you have lived here a few years.   The psyche is mainly fixed on money and your health and life, or anyone else's, local or Foreign, are simply of no interest to most business people here.  Rather similar to how much they care about their Environment...nothing !

+1. This pretty much sums up the fresh food market in Thailand.

I have lived here for 14 years and I know many organic farmers and they do not fit your description nor are they greedy like your experience expressed.    Just go to the markets and talk with them.

You really do not have to go to all of the farms any more than you need to put every morsel of food you eat through a forensics food lab to check for insidious ingredients and somewhere somehow you have to have what is known as TRUST, otherwise, you are simply lost in your own world of illusion and will not survive well.

53 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I checked on the Ken's Salad Dressing...thought it was too good to be true....they had two kinds left...one expires on 27 February 17; the other 9 March 17.  It has a shelf life of more than a year, so it is obvious just their way of getting rid of it, without marking it as a sale.

Good catch Kowboy.  I just checked mine and the expiration date is 2 March 17 and the Litehouse is 22 April 17.  I think I might have to resort to making my own dressings in the future.

5 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Yes, I have been thinking the same thing.  Neighbor says 5 liter extra virgin is 1500 THB at Makro.

Shouldn't be more than 1,100 Baht.

The wife bought 5 liters about six weeks ago on sale for 900. I'm not sure where. Made in Turkey. Very decent tasting extra virgin olive oil. We make our own Cesar salad 2-3 times per week.

Thailand must have entered into some kind of trade deal with Turkey recently. There are interesting products all over town in the last few weeks. All made in Turkey.

Adding one of my favorites.......  

I'm fond of Jack Daniels but find it to be rather expensive here in CM. (1,599 THB for a liter)

Just lately I saw on the Rimping shelf a similar looking bottle of something called Benchmark. To me it looked like a knockoff for JD so I thought I would buy a bottle to try. Needless to say I was amazed as it looked and tasted exactly like JD. I think I have found my new choice with this 750 ml bottle of Benchmark costing 800 and some (I forgot) THB.

Now if I could only find an alternate for my favorite and something that isn't sold here in Thailand: CROWN ROYAL.....

20170208_124750.jpg

Jameson is 1099 per 70 cl at Tesco and Tops, but for a mere 350 more, you can get the full liter.  I prefer it over Jack, which is ironic because I am from the US.  100 Diapers Scotch.....399 for 70 cl or 569 for a liter...you actually save one whole satang per cl buying the  liter....I think I would rather have the insurance against a spill with the smaller bottles.

8 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Jameson is 1099 per 70 cl at Tesco and Tops, but for a mere 350 more, you can get the full liter.  I prefer it over Jack, which is ironic because I am from the US.  100 Diapers Scotch.....399 for 70 cl or 569 for a liter...you actually save one whole satang per cl buying the  liter....I think I would rather have the insurance against a spill with the smaller bottles.

I've never tried Jameson  before and might have to give it a go. However for the price of the Benchmark I think I have found what I need. However being from the US too I rarely drank JD there, it was always micro-brews and Crown Royal.

Crown was 12 per liter at Arizona Duty Free....now about 20usd.  Jameson is best neat or in coffee, but not with Baily's, khalua or that other candy store white...just Jameson and coffee.  Made famous by Irish gold miners in California.  While scoth and bourbon are becoming more popular, Irish Whiskey consumption is up 123% in 10 years....Diageo sold Bushmills for a song and made a huge mistake.  

9 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Crown was 12 per liter at Arizona Duty Free....now about 20usd.  Jameson is best neat or in coffee, but not with Baily's, khalua or that other candy store white...just Jameson and coffee.  Made famous by Irish gold miners in California.  While scoth and bourbon are becoming more popular, Irish Whiskey consumption is up 123% in 10 years....Diageo sold Bushmills for a song and made a huge mistake.  

Yes sadly the only place Crown is found here in Thailand is Duty Free. I generally have someone who is flying in pick me up a bottle. It used to be 800 THB but the last bottle I received just prior to Christmas was 900 THB so they have apparently raised the price.

I'm not a hot coffee drinker as I can't understand how a person can drink hot beverages (coffee or tea) being in a hot/humid environment as we are here in Thailand. However I do indulge a few iced coffees throughout most days.

5 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I'm not a hot coffee drinker as I can't understand how a person can drink hot beverages (coffee or tea) being in a hot/humid environment as we are here in Thailand. However I do indulge a few iced coffees throughout most days.

Hot coffee? That's nothing , I've even seen people eat HOT FOOD!  

5 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Yes sadly the only place Crown is found here in Thailand is Duty Free. I generally have someone who is flying in pick me up a bottle. It used to be 800 THB but the last bottle I received just prior to Christmas was 900 THB so they have apparently raised the price.

https://www.ueta.com/store/product/canadian-whiskey/crown-royal-deluxe-canadian-whisky-1-75-liter/

29 usd for a 1.75 liter....not bad for San Diego...Crown Royal.

https://www.ueta.com/store/product/irish-rye/jameson-irish-whiskey-1l-80p/

Jameson 22.50 per liter....

On 2/7/2017 at 6:29 AM, Airalee said:

The thread would be more helpful if people like yourself would post pictures of your 5 baht cucumbers and let us know where we can get then.  As I've already said (twice)  everybody is welcome to post anything they like.

Get out and about, loads of cheap local produce......but no air conditioning.

On 2/7/2017 at 5:36 PM, Dante99 said:

Where are these certified farms?  Thailand?  Laos?  Or in the US, Japan and EU?

Do they sell their products in CM? Where?

I buy from a farm "Adams Organic". Excellent produce and service. Certified Organic, USDA, EU & Japan...

All seasonally grown; on their website you can download a chart on expected availability.

https://www.adams-organic.com/thailand

They deliver anywhere.

Archived