New Rules for Retirement Extension money in the Bank?

Did my annual retirement extension today at Phuket town immigration made sure all my ducks were in a row

, did not need FNF or TM47, did need TM 2. and TM7. no problems, pick up PP tomorrow and do my Re-entry permit.

But during my visit to my Bank for my FCD account statement and bank funds verification letter the bank clerk/officer

informed me that I could have the letter and statement in GBP this time but in the future my funds would have to be in 

Thai Baht, this being due to a new agreement between my bank SCB and immigration according to her. I have always

used this GBP FCD account for my retirement funds for the last 9/10 years, has anyone else heard of anything like this 

surfacing on their patch?? She also told me that the statement was 200 baht but due to the agreement with imm. it was

free, but the verification letter is still 200 baht. the statement was free last year too, so I am not really sure what is going

on???

When I raised the matter with immigration in Phuket town they told me they have never heard of any such thing and one

IO simply said change your bank.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Did the bank letter show your balance in pounds only. Most immigration offices expect the letter to state the amount in baht using the exchange rate for the date the letter was done.

No Joe as always it showed it in Baht and pounds, same every year??

Take it you have no knowledge of this happening ?

13 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

i must say I'd always assumed it should be in THB and put the 800,000 away as a 'sunk cost'  worked well for me as i brought it over @54 

What does the 54 represent? 54 THB for one USD?

I guess more likely for one GBP?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

What does the 54 represent? 54 THB for one USD?

I guess more likely for one GBP?

sorry 54 baht to 1 GBP and when i first came here 72 baht now 43 and 54 seems like heaven it depresses me when i have to exchange for 43 now  :sad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

sorry 54 baht to 1 GBP and when i first came here 72 baht now 43 and 54 seems like heaven it depresses me when i have to exchange for 43 now  :sad:

Happy days! Will we ever see it again? For a brief period when I came here in 1997 I was getting 90 THB/GB£, but then it settled around 70. Now lucky to get 44!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

Happy days! Will we ever see it again? For a brief period when I came here in 1997 I was getting 90 THB/GB£, but then it settled around 70. Now lucky to get 44!

na i think it's like virginity once gone never recovered

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Yes Jimmy,
Yes it is depressing and can remember 73 to the pound in 2006 and now seems steady around 42 to 43 and what it will be in March re: Brexit is anyone's guess  and  most of us definitely not got a pot of Gold.
Yes,  I receive a State Pension directly into the bank and this is frozen also. 
Always makes me angry when you see adverts showing us on yachts and sipping cocktails, but that is the way many people view us and do not get me on to those publi servants " We here to serve you" Since when and have I missed something and on what date ??? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

in cw in Bangkok that doesn't faze them.

they simply pullout the calculator and do the conversion to baht at their official rate.

whch of course is to their advantage from what you would get outside.

Why would the rate they use be to their advantage?  Does immigrations make a profit using a lower rate?

Would assume they use the current rates posted by one or more of the big banks. Not sure what an "official rate" would be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Why would the rate they use be to their advantage?  Does immigrations make a profit using a lower rate?

Would assume they use the current rates posted by one or more of the big banks. Not sure what an "official rate" would be.

I believe he ment that bank's employee pull out a calculator.

1 hour ago, Foozool said:

I believe he ment that bank's employee pull out a calculator.

He said " in cw in Bangkok that doesn't faze them. "

CW = Chaengwattana immigrations, not a bank.

Immigrations offices are accustomed to converting foreign exchange rates to baht using the current bank rates using a calculator.

As Evilbaz said, they would (probably) use the bank cash rate, which is marginally less  than the Telegraphic Transfer rate, but it wouldn't be advantageous or disadvantageous in any way for immigrations.

Edited by Suradit69

2 hours ago, Putmak said:

Please enlighten me....what's an FNF and a FCD statement ?...

Sorry Foreign National (info ) Form FNF

Foreign Currency Deposit account. FCD.

Incidentally didn't need the FNF for my re-entry permit today. 

Edited by phuketjock
typo.

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying you've been keeping your money in a Thai bank in pounds instead of Baht? And giving immigration a letter to immigration showing both the pound an Baht values?  I'm pretty certain immigration has no interest in pound values. The requirement is in Baht.  And is the bank saying that in the future they cannot give you the letter if your account is in pounds?

17 hours ago, Dan5 said:

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying you've been keeping your money in a Thai bank in pounds instead of Baht? And giving immigration a letter to immigration showing both the pound an Baht values?  I'm pretty certain immigration has no interest in pound values. The requirement is in Baht.  And is the bank saying that in the future they cannot give you the letter if your account is in pounds?

Dan2 According to the IO I talked to at the Phuket office they don't care if the money is

in Egyptian shillings as long as it equates to the required amount in Thai Baht.

I have been keeping my money in a Foreign Currency Deposit GBP Account for the last

10 years and my bank (SCB ) has been issuing me a letter verifying the balance in GBP

and TBT for the last 10 years and immigration have been accepting said letter for the

last 10 years. 

This time a bank official told me that in the future, because of an agreement between 

SCB and immigration they can only issue the letter if the money was in a Thai Baht

account, but when I spoke to an IO at Phuket he said he had never heard of ant such ruling.

or agreement?

You were right you didn't understand my post, there is no, and has never been any requirement

to keep the necessary 800,000, or 400,000 Baht in Thai currrency.

• Like 1