All provinces to go ahead with Garbage-Free Thailand campaign

webfact

4 hours ago, heybuz said:

One man in australia about 30 years ago started a campaign called clean up australia at that time it wassnt so much plastic bags but beer cans littering the roadsides,today you would be hardpressed to see any rubbish in or around most of the country,he simply shamed the population for tossing rubbish on the ground and destroying the enviorment and it worked schoolkids would admonish their parents if they did not dispose of there garbage responsibly. Today every year thousands of average people join together to collect rubbish on beaches and  roadsidesn a designated day called "clean up australia day". He suceeded in shameing the population.This was done through educating the children then the government took it up with a television campaign

Good post above.  Thailand has needed a campaign like that, together with cooperation from gov't/business/sangha/village heads - but most of all it needs support from celebrities.  Common people listen to celebrities (movie/TV/sports, etc) more than any other group of people.   ....more than their parents, teachers, government, sangha, biz heads, etc.   

Education is probably a good place to start. By making people aware of the issues, perhaps change is possible. It is a good first step. But, as always, Little P. is really poor when it comes to follow up. They dream up this stuff, but since there is such a tremendous lack of talent in the administration, there are few people who can implement these policies. There are alot of dreamers, who come up with these plans, policies, edicts, decrees, and crackdowns. But, few to follow them up. And Little P. only remembers his promises for 48 hours, so it is soon forgotten, and swept into the trash heap of former proposals, that were not implemented. Will this be just another pipe dream, soon to be forgotten? 

Start with Soi Rachawaroon AKA soi Cosy Beach AKA soi Gulag.  it's a rubbish dump as is the beach.  Perhaps it's a private Road d but the filth and squalor is akin to parts of Africa I have been to.  'Pratumnak the Beverly Hill of Pattaya'. The authorities came by a few weeks ago and did nothing.  I doubt they ever will. 

5 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Good post above.  Thailand has needed a campaign like that, together with cooperation from gov't/business/sangha/village heads - but most of all it needs support from celebrities.  Common people listen to celebrities (movie/TV/sports, etc) more than any other group of people.   ....more than their parents, teachers, government, sangha, biz heads, etc.   

Does Thailand have the capability to correctly dispose of waste once collected? I ask this sincerely. In the USa we have something called the Adopt a Highway program. You adopt two miles of roadway and they make a little sign that is unobtrusive saying what individual,  business, charity or organization picks up litter on that stretch. If it is collected but can not be disposed of properly after that it is a problem.

One example of this is a few years back I was kayaking a remote stretch of the Mekong in Laos. There is no garbage collection of any kind in that area and in much of Laos for that matter. So somebody I was with bagged up the litter we had in our kayaks and made much to do about bringing it up the bank away from the river. 

I explained to them all you are doing is making it a longer walk for whoever is going to throw it in the river on your behalf. They seemed shocked by this and insisted on doing the right thing. While we were eating lunch at the noodle shop in the tiny settlement some kids picked up the bag and chucked it into the river.

Sadly that is the mentality. Now on 4,000 islands in Laos they collect the garbage but take it to a rice field on Don Khon. There they burn it and the toxic smoke lingers low on the river covering much of the main tourist islands. You can here the plastic bottles explode from quite a distance away.

It is pretty depressing. I guess reducing garbage is the first most effective move to make. After that they need to be able to process it. Koh Samui and Koh Tao are good examples of that.

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2017 at 7:30 PM, johng said:

This appeared in my estate in the past couple of days...first time I ever saw one in Thailand, wonder what happens to the waste after ?

P_20170211_182601.jpg

Well sad to say  the recycle booth didn't get much use at all...and now after about a year and a half  the booth its self has gone to "the great recycle depot in the sky"      R.I.P   recycle booth.

Now we can all get back to normal throwing everything in (or around)  the  normal bins.

P_20170909_125339.thumb.jpg.f642249e3ee2058e8e0cbacaa3244b49.jpg

Archived