TOT Fiber2u New Packages 50-200 Mbps (700-1200 thb)

muratremix

Too bad they didn't do this sooner, probably would still be using them. For me the fiber2u was very stable and fast, never had any major problems and when I called the call center with problems they were quick to come out and fix it.

Only issue I had was that they were expensive compared to 3BB and AIS, so I cancelled and switched to AIS.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have ToT 35/15 Mbps fiber service (so far excellent & reliable) for 990 baht/month, the new promotion is 150/30 Mbps for same price...990 baht/month. Its a no brainer to upgrade to this new promotion unless there is something in the fine print that should be noted. All things being equal, I will take this new package which is the same price but almost 5 times faster. 

I am looking forward to yet another "experience" with ToT when I visit them and request a change in service plans to the new promotion. 

Wish me luck.

Just amazing how most ISPs with fiber plans are greatly increasing the speed of their plans while keeping the price basically unchanged. The wonder of true competition.

I attribute this competition we are finally seeing to 3BB and AIS agressively moving into the broadband fiber market.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Just amazing how most ISPs with fiber plans are greatly increasing the speed of their plans while keeping the price basically unchanged. The wonder of true competition.

I attribute this competition we are finally seeing to 3BB and AIS agressively moving into the broadband fiber market.

Its a bit like connecting 100 houses using 50mm pipe to a 100mm water main thats connected to a 20mm pipe.

I guess as long as the colorful speed test results are good, everyone's happy.

Edited by maxpower
stuff

Meanwhile nobody seems to be concerned about latency.

A few months ago my family upgraded from 20 to 50 Mbps. It made absolutely no difference because most of our international destinations go through the Singapore bottleneck.

So for those of you thinking about upgrading, check the end-to-end transit time for your favorite web sites before and after you upgrade, to see if you're really getting an improvement in your service. For most people, I'd bet the access port speed is not what's slowing you down.

24 minutes ago, attrayant said:

A few months ago my family upgraded from 20 to 50 Mbps. It made absolutely no difference because most of our international destinations go through the Singapore bottleneck.

So for those of you thinking about upgrading, check the end-to-end transit time for your favorite web sites before and after you upgrade, to see if you're really getting an improvement in your service. For most people, I'd bet the access port speed is not what's slowing you down.

Unfortunately, people are locked into this Mbps value and that's what sells the product.

Having said that, you also must consider how many users are on your home network.

Edited by maxpower
stuff

17 minutes ago, attrayant said:

have you tried a vpn? 

It has been said that the ISP's tend to throttle your bandwidth if you are media streaming using high bandwidth. I wonder about that.

try this test:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Despite high speed tests, bufferbloat is the killer.

Edited by bangkok101
ok

22 hours ago, Stocky said:

You can do it over the phone 1100 - you'll need the following ready to hand, plus a large dollop of patience:

• The number for the modem unit, there should be a sticker on the top left by the engineer
  • Your TOT account number (see top of bill)
  • The ID number of the account holder 

After the engineer checks your connection will go to the new speed they'll switch you over, usually done the same working day. They warn you that if you've not been on the existing contract more than 12 months there may be a Bht1,000 surcharge. 

What the modem number looks like ? I have an Edimax modem ( TOT fiber ), no sticker on the top  but I see several stickers  under the device

Also I have a ZTE device, is it for fiber ( the guy who install it told me one is for fiber ,  and one for wifi ) ?

I think I go soon to my TOT shop to get the promotion

5 monts so far with TOT and they are very good

15 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Well, until someone figures out to how to overcome the speed of light law latency is not going to change much as Internet electrons/photons simply cannot travel faster than the speed of light.   Yes, servers/relays/amplifiers along the way introduce some delay, but that's a minority part of overall latency when you are connecting to servers/sites thousands of kilometers/miles away, in the U.S., Europe, etc.   Does matter whether you are on a fiber plan, DOCSIS/cable plan, or xDSL plan, the electrons/photon can only travel so fast....and that is approx two-thirds the speed of light since the travel is through fiber optics/copper versus the vacuum of space which the speed of light is referenced to.

And when using a speed tester which also shows your latency/ping time and that tester has several servers in a location to test to (common with many Speedtest.net sites) be sure to run the test on several of the servers at that site because you can possibly see big differences in latency simply because some speed test servers are slower reacting than others.   Don't blame that on the fiber/cable/xDSL connection; blame that on the server you are connecting to.   I can occasionally experience that issue in Speedtest.net to Singapore (and other locations) where some of their servers give me an approx 35ms ping time and others approx 70ms....the distance between me here in Bangkok and each server in Singapore is practically the same but different servers on the Singapore end will have different (faster, slower) response/turn around time.

Even a person's own router can cause strange latency problems sometimes....like one of my ASUS access points.  Before I did a firmware upgrade to the access point I got approx 5ms latency in tests from my Bangkok home  to Speedtest.net Bangkok servers on both the 5GHz and 2.4Ghz Wifi bands.  But after the upgrade my latency on the 2.4Ghz band is always 15 to 20ms and the 5Ghz band stayed at 5ms.  Reload the old firmware and both bands are back to 5ms latency.   Reload the new firmware again and the latency is back to 5ms on the 5Ghz band and 15 to 20ms on the 2.4Ghz band.  Now that is "my Wifi" equipment causing that latency issue and has nothing to do with my AIS Fibre plan.

Yeap, until someone invents some faster than light servers don't expect much improvement in latency/ping values when connecting to far-off servers/sites.

2 minutes ago, Aforek said:

What the modem number looks like ? I have an Edimax modem ( TOT fiber ), no sticker on the top  but I see several stickers  under the device

Also I have a ZTE device, is it for fiber ( the guy who install it told me one is for fiber ,  and one for wifi ) ?

Maybe the ZTE is the fiber modem and the edimax is the router?

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, until someone figures out to how to overcome the speed of light law latency is not going to change much as Internet electrons/photons simply cannot travel faster than the speed of light.   Yes, servers/relays/amplifiers along the way introduce some delay, but that's a minority part of overall latency when you are connecting to servers/sites thousands of kilometers/miles away, in the U.S., Europe, etc.   Does matter whether you are on a fiber plan, DOCSIS/cable plan, or xDSL plan, the electrons/photon can only travel so fast....and that is approx two-thirds the speed of light since the travel is through fiber optics/copper versus the vacuum of space which the speed of light is referenced to.

And when using a speed tester which also shows your latency/ping time and that tester has several servers in a location to test to (common with many Speedtest.net sites) be sure to run the test on several of the servers at that site because you can possibly see big differences in latency simply because some speed test servers are slower reacting than others.   Don't blame that on the fiber/cable/xDSL connection; blame that on the server you are connecting to.   I can occasionally experience that issue in Speedtest.net to Singapore (and other locations) where some of their servers give me an approx 35ms ping time and others approx 70ms....the distance between me here in Bangkok and each server in Singapore is practically the same but different servers on the Singapore end will have different (faster, slower) response/turn around time.

Even a person's own router can cause strange latency problems sometimes....like one of my ASUS access points.  Before I did a firmware upgrade to the access point I got approx 5ms latency in tests from my Bangkok home  to Speedtest.net Bangkok servers on both the 5GHz and 2.4Ghz Wifi bands.  But after the upgrade my latency on the 2.4Ghz band is always 15 to 20ms and the 5Ghz band stayed at 5ms.  Reload the old firmware and both bands are back to 5ms latency.   Reload the new firmware again and the latency is back to 5ms on the 5Ghz band and 15 to 20ms on the 2.4Ghz band.  Now that is "my Wifi" equipment causing that latency issue and has nothing to do with my AIS Fibre plan.

Yeap, until someone invents some faster than light servers don't expect much improvement in latency/ping values when connecting to far-off servers/sites.

with asus there are beamforming settings which can cause issues as well as QoS settings perhaps?

You can try Merlin firmware on asus compatible routers for more tweaks.

Edited by bangkok101
ok

23 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, until someone figures out to how to overcome the speed of light law latency is not going to change much as Internet electrons/photons simply cannot travel faster than the speed of light. Bla bla..

You failed to mention the most important factor, bandwidth.

Also, if Bob the network controller gets too many requests then Bob will get upset and start throwing in delays. Bob does not care how fast the electrons or photons arrive at his work station because he only has one pair of hands. 

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

You could have all the bandwidth and all the hands in the world, but the speed of light remains constant.   Those electrons/photons can only go so fast....get back and forth between here and there so fast. 

i think traffic shaping and bandwidth may be the bigger issue here Pib...

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

Thailand is not in Europe. The only country benefits from lowest pings possible is United Kingdom (between USA and Europe). Singapore has pretty good connections to europe (200 ms) and USA (180 ms).

2 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Thailand is not in Europe. The only country benefits from lowest pings possible is United Kingdom (between USA and Europe). Singapore has pretty good connections to europe (200 ms) and USA (180 ms).

my ping speeds vary from 200 to 300 ms to US servers while on VPN, however that has little or no impact on streaming HD media. This latency debacle is very much compounded by ISP's inability to manage  a phenomenon known as bufferbloat. 

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

The one I have installed is a Forth GPO-5900W optical modem and the number on the sticker is a 9 digit number. As it starts 74 which is the telephone code for Songkhla I suspect it's the equivalent of the modem's 'telephone' number.

We've been with TOT for 13 years, 10 years in this house. Touch wood they've always been very good, customer service and the engineers locally are good and the telephone, ADSL and now the fiber optic connections have always been more than acceptable. I guess we're just lucky in Hat Yai.

1 hour ago, bangkok101 said:

my ping speeds vary from 200 to 300 ms to US servers while on VPN, however that has little or no impact on streaming HD media. This latency debacle is very much compounded by ISP's inability to manage  a phenomenon known as bufferbloat. 

Bufferbloat is really an upload issue; not a download issue.   So if a person is into gaming and wants his clicks/responses to arrive as soon as possible then lower bufferbloat helps.  However, all Thai ISPs have approximately the same bufferbloat rating....I made a post on that somewhere recently....I'll try to find it and repost it here.

Two bufferbloat related posts from another related thread.   And immediately below these two posts are some bufferbloat scores for 3BB/Triple T, True, and AIS I just pulled from the DSLReports database.

Latest Bufferbloat Scores on 3BB, Triple T (a.k.a., part of 3BB), True and AIS.   Couldn't find anything for TOT.

3BB

bufferbloat3bb.JPG

Triple T

bufferbloat3tt.JPG

True

bufferbloatTrue.JPG

AIS

bufferbloatAIS.JPG

2 hours ago, bangkok101 said:

Bufferbloat? You mean jitter?

VPN could be the reason of jitter. I always use personal vps server for vpn, so, no jitter (on UDP). Using tcp with openvpn can cause (and will cause) jitter.

2 minutes ago, muratremix said:

VPN could be the reason of jitter. I always use personal vps server for vpn, so, no jitter (on UDP). Using tcp with openvpn can cause (and will cause) jitter.

i use UDP protocol primarily. By adjusting QoS on the router I can reduce the bufferbloat, and score A+ on dslreports speed test  but it's not a total solution, I think jitter (packet delay variation) is caused by bufferbloat.

16 minutes ago, muratremix said:

They are not the same.

Excessive packet buffering (bufferbloat) in a network often leads to packet delay called jitter.

Packet switch buffer bloated > packets get delayed > media box jitter

Has anyone successfully changed to one of the new packages? I don't see them in the "change package" menu on the TOT eService site.

Wifey is going to the local office today armed with a printout of the web page :)

59 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Has anyone successfully changed to one of the new packages? I don't see them in the "change package" menu on the TOT eService site.

Wifey is going to the local office today armed with a printout of the web page :)

I have switched from a 100/50 package to the new 200/80. I only changed to the previous package 7-8 months ago so have to pay THB1000 to break the 12 month contract. Since I will be paying THB1700 less each month that seems pretty fair.

I got my office staff to arrange it which they did over the phone about a week ago. They informed me that the change will take effect today.

My original contract was THB6000/month so going from that to 2900 and now to 1200 is a huge price drop. I hope that it doesn't mean the sharing ratio deteriorates commensurately. We'll see.

Thanks for that @thedemon I was hoping to do it via the web interface but the new packages don't appear in the listings.

Wifey is going to the TOT office today armed with a printout of the website, it's not far (I expect she will go shopping too) and we've never had great luck with the call centre.

We're currently on the 30/10 (I think it's 10 up) small-business package at 1500 a month and intend going to the 200/80 for 1200. If what other have said and there's no difference in contention ratio I'll be happy, I'll actually be happy if it's no faster on international connections, it's still cheaper.

Can anyone please explain (give a TOT link?) the cheapest TOT Fibre optic plans out now? The ones of this thread start at 50mbps for 700THB/m which is only 100THB dearer than ours but more than 3 times faster?

We are paying 599THB/m for a fibre optic system just installed in January and TOT only give us 15/2mbps speeds? Seems a bit slow doesn't it? Should we ask for upgrade? When they installed they said it was for 2 years to pay for the free upgrade from ADSL (that was 10mbps at 599THB/m) to fibre optic.

59 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Can anyone please explain (give a TOT link?) the cheapest TOT Fibre optic plans out now? The ones of this thread start at 50mbps for 700THB/m which is only 100THB dearer than ours but more than 3 times faster?

We are paying 599THB/m for a fibre optic system just installed in January and TOT only give us 15/2mbps speeds? Seems a bit slow doesn't it? Should we ask for upgrade? When they installed they said it was for 2 years to pay for the free upgrade from ADSL (that was 10mbps at 599THB/m) to fibre optic.

The link is at the top of the op. This one: http://www.tot.co.th/fiber2u/

You should be able to change package to one of these but they will probably ask you for a THB1000 penalty fee if you just signed up last month.

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

TOT only give us 15/2mbps speeds. Seems a bit slow doesn't it?

That depends.  Are you running a data center?  Then yeah, that's a bit slow.  

Are you one of the 99.9% of internet users?  Then that's probably more than you'll ever need.