Bangkok Condo rent negotiation

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Nothing here is simar to anything "back home". Many Thai landlords are quite happy with their units sitting empty than giving a discount.

These owners are not investors, but speculators, like hoarding physical gold.

Until property tax is revamped to make it painful to leave the unit vacant, this behaviour will not change...

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Until property tax is revamped to make it painful to leave the unit vacant, this behaviour will not change...

Why should people who buy houses or condos be penalised for not renting. You say speculators. Most if not all people buy property to make money in the future. With the glut of condos to rent in the main cities I can imagine it's hard to rent them out. But as a property owner it's your right to leave them vacant if you want to.

1 hour ago, trogers said:

How does this work though?

Do people use mortgages or have many investors bought condos outright with cash? I can understand if you sit on a property if you have bought it outright.  

However if they have used a mortgage product how do they cover the costs during void periods?  Surely that would be money lost...

How does this work though?

Do people use mortgages or have many investors bought condos outright with cash? I can understand if you sit on a property if you have bought it outright.  

However if they have used a mortgage product how do they cover the costs during void periods?  Surely that would be money lost...

You think too much.

2 hours ago, trogers said:

42 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Why should people who buy houses or condos be penalised for not renting. You say speculators. Most if not all people buy property to make money in the future. With the glut of condos to rent in the main cities I can imagine it's hard to rent them out. But as a property owner it's your right to leave them vacant if you want to.

Land is one of the factor of economic production.

Hoarding it creates two problems for society:

- allocation of limited resources to produce something that would not be put into economic use.

- capital in the form of savings and debts locked into speculation and not available for economic production.

20 minutes ago, trogers said:

Land is one of the factor of economic production.

Hoarding it creates two problems for society:

- allocation of limited resources to produce something that would not be put into economic use.

- capital in the form of savings and debts locked into speculation and not available for economic production.

We are talking about condos not land. You know owning a condo is not owning any land. You also stated property tax not land tax why are you moving the goal posts in this dicuss on.  Owning a condo is not owning the land so your argument is non existent.

6 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

We are talking about condos not land. You know owning a condo is not owning any land. You also stated property tax not land tax why are you moving the goal posts in this dicuss on.  Owning a condo is not owning the land so your argument is non existent.

Condos sit on land with lots of other resources and fossil fuel employed to raise the buildings, and thereafter, left vacant for a decade or more...

Read about those ghost cities...

21 minutes ago, trogers said:

Condos sit on land with lots of other resources and fossil fuel employed to raise the buildings, and thereafter, left vacant for a decade or more...

Read about those ghost cities...

why do your tennnants have to emply your cleaning lady once a week?

are you opposed to people who prefer to clean their home by themselves?

Just now, melvinmelvin said:

why do your tennnants have to emply your cleaning lady once a week?

are you opposed to people who prefer to clean their home by themselves?

I have not come across working tenants having time nor effort cleaning my condo units.

Even my japanese tenants employ their own japanese speaking Thai maids to clean while their wives care for their kids and do the cooking.

And the experience my friend had renting to bachelors is that they don't clean.

17 hours ago, trogers said:

Don't know about other property owners, all my units are supplied with mattress protectors and sofa are in dark colors. And my tenants need to employ my recommended maid for cleaning the unit at least once a week.

A minor wife of a fairly well off Thai bought the place for her. It was her 1st time renting out, but she still ripped me off. Bitch is a trolley dolly on Cathay. A looker, but greedy.

I was under pressure to move and it was just a best option at the time. I wanted to stay where I was but the missus had other ideas. I admit she was about 30% guilty, the rest I was ripped off for by the lovely Chantra.

I rent out in the UK and I do it like a serviced apartment letting, with maid etc etc.

I have years of experience in the industry, and saw it coming, but it's information worth passing on.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

Check out 'Lumpini Mansions', they have blocks of modern apartments all over the city.Some owners here also rent privately.

I lived in one of the blocks in the Thanon Chan area for 5 years-it was cool and no hassle.However a friend rented (same bldg) from a

private owner--No return on deposit. Worth a try.

No difference here to the west. I had 2 guys interested in my bangkok condo at the same time. One was a low balling idiot so kicked him out. The other made a reasonable offer not far-off my asking price.. He is renting it now. C

If your going to low ball then expect harsh treatment, especially from thai landlords!!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Layla111 said:

Check out 'Lumpini Mansions', they have blocks of modern apartments all over the city.Some owners here also rent privately.

I lived in one of the blocks in the Thanon Chan area for 5 years-it was cool and no hassle.However a friend rented (same bldg) from a

private owner--No return on deposit. Worth a try.

I live in a Lumpini too. Well run.

You need to get the chance for a decent sized room as many blocks seem to have mainly shoe boxes. It took me several months to find a good sized room, although the best one my missus wouldn't take as it had been unoccupied for quite a while and she thought it must have a "Pii".

Looking back we are better where we are now anyway.

Same thing applied with the rent, Falang rent is 20% more....

:thumbsup: