Help planning one last big trip

revgreen

Hello, I'm moving away from Thailand but before I go I want to go on one last big motorcycle trip and see some of the places I haven't made it to yet.

I will have about 2-3 weeks to make this trip, and so far my only MUST SEE places are Mae Hong Son loop, and a beach somewhere. What other places would you recommend? I'm a sucker for small provincial towns, not necessarily interested in just going to the big places. What route gives me the best balance of twisty roads and sensibility? Any other advice is appreciated.

As of now I'm thinking of something like:

BKK -> Hua Hin -> Kanchanburi -> Mae Hong Son -> Pai - > Chiang Rai -> Phitsanulok -> Phetchabun -> Loie / Chiang Khan - > Bueng Khan -> Roi Et (or any other Isaan province, I've been to them all already) -> Sa Kaeo -> (leave the bike there and go to Cambodia for a couple days) -> Trat (Koh Chang?) -> Pattaya (never been, need to see it once) -> BKK

1 hour ago, revgreen said:

Kanchanburi -> Mae Hong Son -> Pai - > Chiang Rai -> Nan->  Loie / Chiang Khan - > Bueng Khan -> -> Sa Kaeo -> (leave the bike there and go to Cambodia for a couple days) -> Roi Et Trat -> Phetchabun ->  Pattaya (never been, need to see it once) 

l would prefer this long way up & down. :biggrin:

I can give you a bit of info for your Hua Hin to Kanchanaburi leg to make it more interesting. Go via Keng Krachan then north as near to the Myanmar border as possible towards Suan Pheung town then through Suan Pheung valley ... then onto Dan Makaam Tia and finally Kan. If you can figure out yourself on google maps then great, if not PM me and I can rattle my brain as to road numbers. Did this the other way in October and muchos enjoyed.

Have a great road trip and sounds nice.

On 10/02/2017 at 10:20 AM, revgreen said:

Chiang Rai -> Phitsanulok -> Phetchabun -> Loie / Chiang Khan - >

Just back from Nan. I would add that into the mix after Chiang Rai.

The 1148 is in good condition and one of those  "must do" roads. You could get onto it from the 1020 South east of Chiang Rai and do the whole route into Nan.

I would delete Phitsanulok and go from Nan straight to Chiang Khan via the ferry in the Lam Nam Nan National Park. 1026 leading to the ferry then 1339 off the other side. You then have multiple choices of roads into Chiang Khan.

Then head South to Phetchabun. If you can avoid being there on a weekend all the better. That place gets seriously busy and the scenic routes through the National parks (2258 2325 2302) are chaotic. You could always head up to the 12 from Phetchabun for a blast on another "must do" road. House 66 in Phetchabun is well worth a visit. Cold beer, good food and a heap of old motorcycles and memorabilia to look at.

IMG_20170206_151621.jpgIMG_20170206_151648.jpgIMG_20170206_152034.jpgIMG_20170206_153543.jpgIMG_20170208_115921.jpg20170208_133634_022.jpg

Edited by Thai Chi
Spelling