Thai govt affirms commitment towards preventing alcohol sales near schools

webfact

Govt affirms commitment towards preventing alcohol sales near schools

BANGKOK, 10 February 2017 (NNT) - The Government has affirmed its commitment towards regulating businesses according to zoning laws. 

Member of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Wanlop Tangkhananurak posed a question to the Ministry of Interior regarding the enforcement of zoning laws in Bangkok, as there are still businesses located close to schools that sell alcoholic beverages. 

In response, Deputy Interior Minister Suthee Makboon expressed confidence in the effectiveness of excise regulations, the 1966 Entertainment Place Act, and decrees by the Prime Minister’s Office and the National Council for Peace and Order. 

Suthee said the government has coordinated with related agencies to strictly enforce legislation, and zoning continues to be implemented in many provinces. In Bangkok, police in all 50 districts have been instructed to enforce existing zoning laws.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-02-10

Yes, they have to because the current government can't control an RTP that is an inept law onto themselves. All bark and no bite. 

I know I know. Every government before was the same. So what was the point of the coup? Money being redirected to different bunch of deplorables. 

Edited by rkidlad

I really can't think of a more pointless exercise than banning the sale of alcohol near schools. All it will achieve is to cause huge problems for people who have shops or bars that sell alcohol that fall within this stupid 'zone'. Is this zone supposed to encompass all outlets? Including 7/11 stores? Because if so, it will also cause problems for people who live near a school if they want to pop down the local 7/11 to pick up a couple of beers.

The only people it won't cause any major problems for is the kids, as kids, being what kids are, will just organise to get their alcohol from outside the zone. I know that when I was a kid, a ruling like this would have made no difference at all. If a bunch of us were intent on getting hold of alcohol, zone or no zone, we would get it.

This is just virtue signalling that hasn't been thought through. They are going to punish the innocent just so they can be seen to be 'doing something'.

Utter stupidity.

These guys never played sim city. Where I lived before on a residential area a company managed to buy land and then just build a warehouse where there pick-up trucks would just be going mental. No considerastion of the people who lived there before they set up shop. A few of my Thai neighbours then put speed bumps down and that caused a few laughs as the pick ups lost their loads, such as washing machines and freezers. At the end of the day Thailand has no idea about zoning areas and the brown envelope fixes all. So sad as the kids liked to play on the street but now it is far too dangerous, and what I mean by street is a little side street where two cars struggle to pass one another.

This has be going  on for awhile !

How far from a school  is the ban ?

The funny thing is if you want to open a bar or cafe and sell booze how the hell are you going to find out the zoning area  it's Thailand  and heaven help if you buy a second hand business 

Another disaster in the making  ??

Well half of Soi  cowboy will close as there is  school and and a Uni less then 1 km away 

But half of cowboy is run and owned  by the cops maybe they will be excempt 

12 hours ago, nisakiman said:

I really can't think of a more pointless exercise than banning the sale of alcohol near schools. All it will achieve is to cause huge problems for people who have shops or bars that sell alcohol that fall within this stupid 'zone'. Is this zone supposed to encompass all outlets? Including 7/11 stores? Because if so, it will also cause problems for people who live near a school if they want to pop down the local 7/11 to pick up a couple of beers.

The only people it won't cause any major problems for is the kids, as kids, being what kids are, will just organise to get their alcohol from outside the zone. I know that when I was a kid, a ruling like this would have made no difference at all. If a bunch of us were intent on getting hold of alcohol, zone or no zone, we would get it.

This is just virtue signalling that hasn't been thought through. They are going to punish the innocent just so they can be seen to be 'doing something'.

Utter stupidity.

Nearly all outlets in my village will need to stop alcohol sales, including a resort.

On the other hand I may need to increase the size of my bar which is well outside the so called zone.

I agree with your final comment.

Maybe it´s also better to focus the concentration about things that regards children. Look at all the people standing everyday exactly outside before and after school, selling ther cheap toys and all the candy. This is a problem for childrens health and always a problem for all parents that have their children stopping outside want them to buy something. Children want toys and candy! Not alcohol and beer! Can start with taking away that distraction everyday.

Here's an idea. How about directing all shopkeepers near schools to demand ID when serving alcohol to those who might be underage. You know, like they do in the real world. Too simple? This country is beyond belief, how they manage to turn even the simplest task into something complicated.

Just another to be SEEN to be doing something proclimation, even when the effort is quite pointless.  Sort of like the booze ban today.

Prayut et al have very little to show for all their talk of reforms and ending corruption.  The lottery ticket prices are about the only thing that comes to mind.  Pretty impressive after 3 years in power, don't you think...  NOT

2 hours ago, maddox41 said:

This has be going  on for awhile !

How far from a school  is the ban ?

The funny thing is if you want to open a bar or cafe and sell booze how the hell are you going to find out the zoning area  it's Thailand  and heaven help if you buy a second hand business 

Another disaster in the making  ??

Well half of Soi  cowboy will close as there is  school and and a Uni less then 1 km away 

But half of cowboy is run and owned  by the cops maybe they will be excempt 

Source? I think you've picked the wrong area.

2 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Nearly all outlets in my village will need to stop alcohol sales, including a resort.

On the other hand I may need to increase the size of my bar which is well outside the so called zone.

I agree with your final comment.

One man being trashed is another mans treasure. Oh life you have to love it. 

Utter stupidity.

It's not stupid. The laws are vey clear and easy to follow with no room for ambiguity: The sale of alcohol is prohibited near educational institutions. ;)

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Here's an idea. How about directing all shopkeepers near schools to demand ID when serving alcohol to those who might be underage. You know, like they do in the real world. Too simple? This country is beyond belief, how they manage to turn even the simplest task into something complicated.

"...how they manage to turn even the simplest task into something complicated"

Thats an easy one... they practice a lot

44 minutes ago, SABloke said:

It's not stupid. The laws are vey clear and easy to follow with no room for ambiguity: The sale of alcohol is prohibited near educational institutions. ;)

It's not stupid. The laws are vey clear and easy to follow with no room for ambiguity: The sale of alcohol is prohibited near educational institutions.

Built-in ambiguity.