Is Starbucks for Thais or Westerners?

mesquite

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English language is often used in Thailand when trying to lend a premium feel to a product aimed at Thai's.

Starbucks probably don't care where their customers come from, but their use of English is definitely not intended to exclude Thai's, quite the opposite.

Edited by lionmeetstiger

1 minute ago, robertthebruce said:

Say what you like about "Starbucks" , but at least you get Zero percent fat Milk, and a Skinny Muffin...

Can't think of anything worse. Zero percent fat milk? Skinny muffin?

Why bother? Might as well just buy a bottle of water. It'll cost a lot less, and taste about the same.

Starbucks is just overpriced garbage anyway, whatever you buy.

These chronic posts I read bashing SBUX just crack me up. Wherever you go the place is near full to overflowing. They must be doing something right. Reminds me of so many 'sour grapes posts' about other consistently successful businesses, like the Apple, the New England Patriots, or McDonald's.  Some people just aren't happy unless they're bashing people or groups with massive success, thinking they're elevating themselves by hating on what so many people enjoy, as though they're above it all. SBUX hasn't fooled the world, they dominate in a food service category they helped create. The large scale retail food marketplace is highly competitive and very efficient. If they weren't outperforming the competition, SBUX would be contracting instead of expanding. If you want to drink coffee acquired at a local roaster, or a different chain, that's cool. But please stop with all this SBUX is crap stuff...it is so tired and boring.

Starbucks is for everyone.

Complex orders such as "Iced, Half Caff, Ristretto, Venti, 4-Pump, Sugar Free, Cinnamon, Dolce Soy Skinny Latte" contains 5 non-English words anyway, so trying to translate everything into Thai doesn't make sense, and would frankly be absurd.

Hell, Starbucks don't even display their drinks sizes in English!

On 2/12/2017 at 6:29 AM, Ramen087 said:

These chronic posts I read bashing SBUX just crack me up. Wherever you go the place is near full to overflowing. They must be doing something right. Reminds me of so many 'sour grapes posts' about other consistently successful businesses, like the Apple, the New England Patriots, or McDonald's.  Some people just aren't happy unless they're bashing people or groups with massive success, thinking they're elevating themselves by hating on what so many people enjoy, as though they're above it all. SBUX hasn't fooled the world, they dominate in a food service category they helped create. The large scale retail food marketplace is highly competitive and very efficient. If they weren't outperforming the competition, SBUX would be contracting instead of expanding. If you want to drink coffee acquired at a local roaster, or a different chain, that's cool. But please stop with all this SBUX is crap stuff...it is so tired and boring.

Hit the nail on the head. Thanks. Maybe just some old codgers who can't fathom liking anything American. Some just can't get over the incident in Boston Harbor with the tea. Some were probably there lol! 

Go Pats! 

PS keep an eye on SBUX gonna fly up soon with those Chinese stores all opening up ( and filled up) 

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Starbucks is cosmopolitan and all-inclusive. And particularly useful for long, uninterrupted sessions teaching private students. A fantastic addition to the teaching scene in Bangkok and other cities.

Indeed ideal for uninterrupted teaching sessions, but not so good for a regular customers who wants to find somewhere to sit for a few minutes to relax and enjoy a drink, but cannot because all the seating is occupied by classes, kids doing their homework or people using the place as their private office space.

Indeed ideal for uninterrupted teaching sessions, but not so good for a regular customers who wants to find somewhere to sit for a few minutes to relax and enjoy a drink, but cannot because all the seating is occupied by classes, kids doing their homework or people using the place as their private office space.

Surely we should be encouraging education?! [emoji5]

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Surely we should be encouraging education?! emoji5.png

Of course we should, but do classes have to take place in a restaurant, are there no such things as classrooms?
I'll bow to your experience, but isn't it distracting to hold classes in a restaurant or indeed to do your homework there, indeed is it even fair?

Seems I'm not the only person to find the fact that teachers are holding classes in Starbucks, with not a coffee cup in sight, frustrating, when I want to sit down for a few minutes.

It's equally as frustrating when the youngsters hog all the space whilst they're doing their homework playing with their phones, again with barely any hint of coffee.
Brewster are you really saying that this is an effective environment to carry out teaching, it seems to me that it's encouraging our youngsters to be selfish. 

Just because a place is full doesn't mean it's good. It's a hype and free Internet attracts a lot of ppl.
It's crap and overpriced.
KFC and McDonald's are packed every day but that doesn't mean that it's good or healthy. And this has nothing to do with USA bashing because I visited my relatives at least 3 times a year and I love it.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

And you know that how exactly?
I think you'll find that he's posting from Thailand, as am I, and most of the others.

Those teachers know that staff is usually too shy to kick them out so they exploit the situation and premises.

The same happens at McDo, BTW. When I still lived at Bangkok's Huamak district, I sometimes stopped at the McDo at Srinakharin/Pattanakarn intersection. In the late afternoons, certainly 20-30% of the tables were occupied by "teachers and students" and real diners had to sit on makeshift stools . Saw this at many other McDo's all over the kingdom

Whenever I see these selfish snowflakes doing their "homework" I always go and sit at their table, using one of the (maybe two or three) free chairs around the table.  They don't like it, and give you a dirty "<deleted> you doing here, a$$hole" look, but there is absolutely nothing they can do about it.

I would do exactly the same if it was a teacher "teaching" his or her chicks.

6 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

You most work for them hahah just joking ok .

i think it is shit coffee that is my  opinion like you have your say , this is a free  forum to say as we like , just as you just told us .

i think it is over priced and  taste  terrible .

like  McDonald's it is all over the world and is  terrible food , but that is me .

No one is  bashing , we are just having our say about the  topic .

5 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Heheheheh keep on bashing Starbucks I have made a pretty penny holding there stock for a number of years. Love the haters but really love the people who visit a world class business. 

McDonald's is world class business as well and I would not feed it to my dog , like starbursts would not drink that  terrible coffee .