Foreign thieves are robbing us blind, complains Thai shop owner

rooster59

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These two seem a bit clumsy, like opportunists, not Pro's. 

When I was an MP in my younger days still in uniformed patrol, from time to time would get dispatched to the base PX to meet with in-store security who'd detained a shoplifter.   I think the oddest one I remember was a retired, full Navy Commander (3 stripes/0-5).  Forget what the item was now but recall it was rather insignificant.  He followed the typical path of being embarrassed, then tried to intimidate us with his former rank/status, then opened his wallet to show us he had lots of cash on hand, and asked to pay for the item and forget the whole thing.  Not.

6 hours ago, jerojero said:

Many foreigners are not good people? About as accurate as farang Thai-bashers. Just brush everyone with same tarnished brush. Sheesh!

Many foreigners not being good people is entirely accurate as is the fact that many people from every country are not good people, did you think that she said most?  The shop keeper is putting blame on the police by the way, they have had their reports ignored, it is fair to complain when you have evidence of crime and nothing is done about it.

Hardly any garments/products are tagged here in LOS then it could be an open day for shop lifters over here, as stated the two women did look a bit clumsy with it the theft. A good shoplifter would have had the whole rail and been out, and her mate the same.

Will be easy for BIB and Immigration to cross check their trillions of immigration entry photographs and hey-presto! Hope they do catch them and lock em up - no sympathy for the scum bags

4 hours ago, djayz said:

Money to fly half way around the world but then be on such a tight budget that you can't afford to buy yourself anything.

That is why there is such a drastic increase in tourism world wide. Its called called a booster vacation. Yes its classified as petty theft and flies under the radar but I feel for shop keepers it must be frustrating. Just another sign of the instant gratification world we live in. 

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

She is complaining about stealing farang?

Suppose many farang are visiting her shop, buying things, paying for things.

Would she still have a shop without farang customers?

If not, either accept your losses or do something about it by yourself.

Try it out, shop owner, no farang allowed in this shop.

And of course, Thai don't steal.

Nor other Asians, only farang.

Shoplifting is a bane for shops, everywhere in he world.

Don't rely on the police, do something about it yourself.

She is doing something about it or have you not noticed the CCT footage? 

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

If it's happening daily, which I don't necessarily believe, then why not use one of the staff to look at the cctv cameras live? With the culprits already detained I'm sure the BIB would show some interest.

maybe she doesnt hire anyone,big shop plenty of stock,so why dont she have a security guard,she sees this happening yet all she does is complain.

1 hour ago, masuk said:

It's easy fixed.  no bags allowed passed security.  They all go into cubby holes, you're given a tag for your bag, and you just carry your wallet inside.

That involves getting of the arse, perhaps even hiring more staff, and actually doing something proactive.

Edited by Sphere

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Here's a tip ladies, say you were drunk, you have gambling debts to pay, you were fighting with husband....these seem to work for locals.

Not to state that loans given to a so-called relative is given back to a Niece, who refuses to pass it on.!!!

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

In Thailand, the law courts see theft as a very serious offence, often meting out sentences to guilty parties, far more severe than somebody taking another person's life.

If a thief gets caught here and prosecuted, if it is done during the hours of darkness, as opposed to during daylight hours, the sentence is so much more severe ! 

Except of course if you steal paintings from a Kyoto hotel. 

Buying is a choice. Stealing is a crime.If you believe you're being ripped off then the intelligent thing would be "don't buy" and as you well know the prices are inflated if you're a guest! Thieves in whatever shape form or denomination are a bunch of low life's! !

10 minutes ago, Alphy said:

Buying is a choice. Stealing is a crime.If you believe you're being ripped off then the intelligent thing would be "don't buy" and as you well know the prices are inflated if you're a guest! Thieves in whatever shape form or denomination are a bunch of low life's! !

More accurately, both buying and stealing are a choice but only stealing is a crime

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

In Thailand, the law courts see theft as a very serious offence, often meting out sentences to guilty parties, far more severe than somebody taking another person's life.

If a thief gets caught here and prosecuted, if it is done during the hours of darkness, as opposed to during daylight hours, the sentence is so much more severe ! 

Unless you are a HiSo Official stealing artifacts from a foreign hotel, a member of any brass club, a politician, or an abbott.

Edited by Lupatria

27 minutes ago, Alex Sharp said:

Except of course if you steal paintings from a Kyoto hotel. 

2 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Unless you are a HiSo Official stealing artifacts from a foreign hotel, or you are member of any brass club, or a politician.

It might have escaped you, but my post specifically started with the words IN THAILAND.

18 minutes ago, Alphy said:

They are stealing clothes, the prices are not inflated for guests, go to Lotus if you are really that paranoid about being ripped off.

Considering the cheap price of labor as apposed to loses due to theft, if I was a shop owner with CCTV inside the shop, I'd have someone in the back watching the CCTV monitors to caught the thieves.  Niche market their for anyone supplying surveillance and shop-lifting control.