Toyota Hilux Burst Into Flames

bikerlou47

My pickup sitting in my car park for over a day burst into flames. The fire was confined to the passenger compartment. I was working outside and noticed the fire immediately and grabbed a nearby hose and put out the fire.

Toyota now has the truck and the inside is completely taken apart. so much so that the only thing that remains is a steering column.

Toyota has determined that the installation of a rear view mirror was improperly done.

The installation was done at a Toyota dealership. 

I have currently been without my truck for a month as they await parts. They estimate the costs of repairs at 100,000 baht.

I am awaiting a decision from Toyota Asia as to if I will be compensated and if so how much.

Will keep you posted.

1 hour ago, transam said:

I was wondering too...

I don't know how this can occur, as the wires to the mirrors are dead until the ignition is turned on.

Then again begs the question. Why did the garage do it in the first place??? as it's a factory fitted unit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the electric for mirrors on the Vigo/Hilux only move the glass for vision. And don't fold the whole thing.

Might have fitted aftersales set up, similar to the Spivo where the mirrors fold when you use the remote to lock. More to this than meets the eye. 

Edited by fredob43

4 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

This was an option when the truck was purchased installed by dealership

Sent from my SM-G360HU using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

The only thing I can think of is they didn't run the wires through the flexi tube when fitting same.

I still don't know how the thing went up in flames as I said before the lot is dead if the ignition is off. Unless of cause they hot wired it.

If that's the case they (Garage) should pay for all the damage. Ask them for a hire car for free.

Pak Chong

Sent from my SM-G360HU using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

There you go. You're about a six-hour drive from the Rayong factory.

That should translate into AT LEAST a month wait for parts!

I'm a 9-hour drive from the Rayong Chevy factory. That earned me a TWO-month wait for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Fookhaht said:

I'm a 9-hour drive from the Rayong Chevy factory. That earned me a TWO-month wait for parts.

yes, they have to go thru outter mongolia ,over the ho chi min trail, via slow camel train.

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2017 at 2:25 AM, bikerlou47 said:

Toyota has determined that the installation of a rear view mirror was improperly done.

7 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

Toyota will take no responsibility for their shoddy workmanship!

Do you have their original decision in writing? If so, contact the consumer protection office.

On 2/13/2017 at 8:40 AM, Fookhaht said:

About 45 minutes from the Auto Alliance factory and all parts ordered (so far) delivered within 24 hours.

Yes! It's a Ford! Eat your heart out!

(they don't self-immolate either)

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Must be awfull owning a Thai Ford. Endless Scanning for a Toyo Fault to ease their rather silly choice.:smile:.

You know what they say, "Gotta make hay while the sun shines."

... or while the Vigo burns.

... or whatever.

Edited by NanLaew