i claudius

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Overall, people are healthier and better fed now than they have ever been.

The world is more peaceful now than it has been for centuries.

Living standards are improving year upon year (for most people). In most countries major diseases have been eradicated and science keeps coming up with even better medicines. Potable water is being provided in more and more places.

We are only just beginning to see the clean and renewable energies emerging, the potential is huge. IMO, advances in agriculture will ensure that food is plentiful.

Our children and grandchildren will have a much better life than our parents and grandparents did (millions killed in world wars, rationing, malnutrition, small pox, polio, rickets, etc).

Of course there will be problems to overcome, but I have faith in human ingenuity and endurance.

But, if a massive comet hits the Earth, or aliens invade and enslave us, all bets are off.

Aliens from space would have no resistance to our bacteria and viruses.....  the common cold virus that only gives us the sniffles would probably be a fast and fatal disease to them.

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

It is my hope that we will figure out how to transfer a persons memories and consciousness into computers at some point (hopefully before I die or my mind starts to degrade).

Once we do that then vast numbers of people will be able to live in virtual reality taking a lot of pressure off of the environment etc

I doubt humans will become extinct, but I definitely see large numbers of less fortunate people suffering and most likely dying if there isn't a major reversal of certain climate change factors.

CTRL+ALT+DEL?

Edited by grollies

2 hours ago, Nokawou said:

The world has been here for 4 500 000 000 years and will be around for another 4 to 5 billion years so I do not a problem in the near future.

No doubt the world will still be here, but will the human race? Even if humans are still here, will the world be a nice place to live? It already is a hell-hole for millions of humans now.

Edited by giddyup

3 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I hate the Sky is Falling shit 

No the sky is not falling we the people are failing it. If we start tomorrow and kill off the WHOLE human race sure the earth will last another 100 years possibly more. Without us raping it every day it will  heal itself. 

Of course the world will last another 100 years.  Good lord you've surely seen the numerous Star Trek and similar movies which have been made showing our world centuries from now.  The Hollywood folks had to go into the future to film those movies which proves the world will still be around hundreds of years from now.   

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Of course the world will last another 100 years.  Good lord you've surely seen the numerous Star Trek and similar movies which have been made showing our world centuries from now.  The Hollywood folks had to go into the future to film those movies which proves the world will still be around hundreds of years from now.   

...must klingon to hope...

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

'I read something a couple of years ago that eventually wars will be fought over access to water'.

There is a lot of water in the sea and it ain't getting less ... so not too sure about that statement ...

getting  fresh  water  from  saltwater  uses  a  lot  of energy 

I think that humankind can resolve many problems, like in the past, but for me, futur ( for next generations ) will be more difficult ( surpopulation, many old people with small income because less people to pay for them , many unemployed because machines will replace human, and of course global warming )

a world war ? Not necessary , just a difficult life , more difficult than ours, babyboomers

49 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

No one can predict what the future will be, the entire planet could be wiped out by a stray asteroid  ( Armegedon ) next week. Live your life the best you can as they say "tomorrow is promised to no one "

i predict  the  future  will be  eternal

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

Aliens from space would have no resistance to our bacteria and viruses.....  the common cold virus that only gives us the sniffles would probably be a fast and fatal disease to them.

and how  do  you  know "our" viruses  would  even affect  them at  all

3 hours ago, Bonefish said:

The world, yes. But the human species has been here for only 100 000 years and it is doomed by its own lack of population control. The world will survive and will be a much better place without us!

100000??

3 hours ago, freebyrd said:

I'm sure to many my comments are going to sound incredibly mean and even blase, however here goes.

The way we are heading, organ transplants etc, perhaps one day a cure for cancer, people wanting to live until 200 and beyond, IVF for couples not meant to sire children etc etc. it's all becoming too much. I don't believe in any God, but I do believe in the natural, if all too often unfair, selection of things. We live for XX years, many babies are still born and have no life, yet because he has money, the likes of Dick Cheney can pay for a new heart when he should have died years ago. That just isn't the way it was meant to be. I have had 60 years, I may get another ??, or I could kick off an hour from now, that's the way the cards fall. The time has long since passed when 'we' should have stopped messing with things.

My wife, 25 years my junior, knows my outlook. If i was told next week that I have cancer, I will not go for chemo etc. I will deal with it with pain relieving drugs and when it gets too much, take my exit my own way if it becomes unbearable. She is very understanding and agreeable, despite her wanting me to go on forever.

I read something a couple of years ago that eventually wars will be fought over access to water. With 7 billion and counting, the world will destroy itself and Stephen Hawking was right about that, but will it take 1,000 years as he said, or 100 as the OP has questioned? No one can predict when..........

Why would you not seek treatment for a mostly treatable illness. Most people aren't given a "you've got this long to live" speech. Most people are told they've got a very good chance of living a long time. 

My treatment was 10 years ago and no sign of recurrence.

5 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The hippies was scared about almost exactly the same around 1970 – however, we still hang around in a surviving World that statistically now is in much better condition than back then...:unsure:

Stupid hippies....if they had only watched Star Trek the TV Series which ran from 1966 to 1969 they would have known the world was still not even close to ending and the world turned into a better place to live.   Live long and prosper, khunPer.

5 hours ago, grollies said:

I'm willing to place a bet, let's say THB50M, that human beings won't become extinct in 20 years.

Any takers?

I would be willing to place a bet of THB 25 million, that humans will not be extinct in 10 years. I will also bet that the ignorant "climate scientist" that predicted that drivel would not take either of these bets if his own money was on the line. He (and I am guessing here) however, would be perfectly willing to spend taxpayer dollars till the cows come home to study and propose mitigations to stop the extinction. If that idiot is saving for retirement he is a fraud. If he is not saving for retirement then maybe he is on to something. 

It's like those ridiculous, enormous signs they used to put on top of Hard Rock Cafés worldwide, (and atop the one in Siam Square way back then) - "Save the World".

The World will do its job just fine, with or without us. At the moment it looks increasingly like the latter will take place, but what does the World care? Not a jot.