Is Thailand a great place to retire?

tukkytuktuk

35 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I agree. I wonder what the cost of a daily nurse would be or at least a trained nurse's aide if really bedridden

My sister and I pay GBP 1000++ a month for live in care for our Mum in the UK (she is not bedridden, but does have Alzheimer's).   We have to also pay for the carers food and other costs.

So it comes to about 50,000 Baht a month.

In Thailand you could get a full time nurse for much less than that.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13.2.2017 at 1:39 PM, tukkytuktuk said:

Well as long as there's somewhere to park your buggy and meet up with a good friend I'm sure thinking about retiring in Thailand. If anyone else can advise me on where I could stay, I would be most thankful. Does it get cold in the cool season, I wonder, must I bring a cardigan or two over as well. Okay I think that's it, time for my afternoon nap.

tmp_6127-product_595_file_large-1903011054.jpg

Your Name shold be "Trollytrolltroll":passifier:

I am 76 years old without any disability, and live in Hua Hin together with my wife each winter (we are both from Denmark). - In your position I would not recommend living out here all the year round. From April it gets really hot out here so you have to sit inside with aircondition running. The best months out here weather wise is from December 1. to March 30. - In Hua Hin they have one of the best hospitals in Thailand, a branch of the Bangkok Hospital. Since you are depending on assistive technology to move  around, the best thing you could do is to rent an apartment for a month between Dec. and Mar. to find out by yourself if you could enjoy a long time stay in Thailand. That is the only right way to find out for you. - Wish you good luck, we love to be out here (Hua Hin)

17 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

You know I can still remember the first sweets given to me by my grandfather.
They were Werther’s originals, I was just 4 years old.
It tasted, sweet, creamy and made me feel like a special person.
I remember feeling I must be someone very special when my grandad gave me his wonderful butter candy.
Now, I’m the grandad,
and what else would I give my grandson, but my Werther’s original?
He, too, is someone very special.

Can you get Werther's originals in Thailand?

tmp_12493-title81020161.jpg

No they're illegal here. But I know where I could get you some for 1000 baht each. 

17 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

You know I can still remember the first sweets given to me by my grandfather.
They were Werther’s originals, I was just 4 years old.
It tasted, sweet, creamy and made me feel like a special person.
I remember feeling I must be someone very special when my grandad gave me his wonderful butter candy.
Now, I’m the grandad,
and what else would I give my grandson, but my Werther’s original?
He, too, is someone very special.

Can you get Werther's originals in Thailand?

tmp_12493-title81020161.jpg

TIT. No originals, only copies.

Hi Tuky  I rarely post ...but just occasionally, I feel I have something worthwhile to offer. You've asked for replies relating to Living in Thai...as an oldie. That's me. I have been here for around 20 years on and off.....the off being a comfortable house in Australia. ( about a 6.5 hour flight.) For a long time, I was happy in Thai. I was ripped off in the early days...some of us more stupid than others.

I am back in Oz right now, but I'll be back in Pattaya soon. A few things happened in a short time...to convince me Thai was no longer for me. The odd one or two ripoffs happen in Oz too...just par fro the course. 

Ripoff 1  over a period of a couple of years, I had 3 new air conditioners fitted by a decent guy on Tepprasit Road. The last one had a problem with the pipe from the bit on the ground outside, connected to  the bit in the bedroom. No problem...he came and repaired the pipe. After a few days, no cool air.....again he came and fixed the pipe. After a few days, no cool air. AGAIN the same thing happened  He refused to come and fix it. No problem, I got a different guy to put in a new pipe. My likeable, decent guy turned out to be a crook when push came to shove..

Ripoff 2   THE LAWYER I had know and trusted for 5 years, made a sly but carefully thought out attempt to steal my house. I suspected that in the previous year, his manner had changed. So when he gave me a "Change of Directors" form to fill in (all in Thai) and insisted I signed there and then...I smelled a rat. My friend took me to HIS lawyer who told me that if I had signed that paper...I was putting my house into the name of his brother, also a lawyer.

Ripoff 3 .  There was a traffic jam on a slight hill. The guy in the pickup behind me got careless, and his car slowly ran into the back of my car...small dent. Usually with small stuff...there is a bit of on-the-spot negotiation. My wife asked him for 2000 baht--the usual for a not-so-large damage. He simply refused. He told her that he hated all foreigners ( farang) and no way he would pay anything. My wife got upset....but hey TIT. This Is Thailand.

I formed the opinion that living with this kind of stress was MUCH more than I wanted to but up with. I am a retired University lecturer....and I certainly deserved better than this shit. I have met and done business with MANY MANY Thais. I built 5 houses , one meets a lot of people, in that situation. Almost ALL the Thais I met were good, decent people, some of whom I became close to. Some I trusted enough to loan them money..   they NEVER let me down. Long ago, I had a relationship with an educated  rich Thai women. She had  more money/property than me. She was a goodie.....a giver, never a taker. She told me that the common philosophy was "Falang pay double."  Which is pretty accurate. Western style shops have put a stop to much of that.

If you feel you want to drive in the second most dangerous country IN THE WORLD....if you feel you want to live in a TERRIBLY corrupt country-corruption is everywhere- and it will nip you sometime....go ahead...come and live in Thailand. My advice for what it's worth, echos that of others. Go to Thai if you will...RENT a house for a couple of years. Regardless of your attitude to a new wife...you may finish up with one. You are YOUNG by Thai wife's husband standards, and your disablement will not be any problem for many of the contenders., You will be in demand. Get onto the internet...find one with a good education. If it all works out...take her back to England.

Living in Thai with a Mia Farang... (Thai wife) may make her a target for all manner of queer, unpleasant Thai women, poor, jealous, greedy,etc etc.

Although Pattaya has a deserved reputation as a sex capital....my life there with my family...is the same as my life in Oz. Should you find it is to your liking in spite of the considerable shortcomings, I wish you all the best

Brian

Hi Tuky  I rarely post ...but just occasionally, I feel I have something worthwhile to offer. You've asked for replies relating to Living in Thai...as an oldie. That's me. I have been here for around 20 years on and off.....the off being a comfortable house in Australia. ( about a 6.5 hour flight.) For a long time, I was happy in Thai. I was ripped off in the early days...some of us more stupid than others.

I am back in Oz right now, but I'll be back in Pattaya soon. A few things happened in a short time...to convince me Thai was no longer for me. The odd one or two ripoffs happen in Oz too...just par fro the course. 
Ripoff 1  over a period of a couple of years, I had 3 new air conditioners fitted by a decent guy on Tepprasit Road. The last one had a problem with the pipe from the bit on the ground outside, connected to  the bit in the bedroom. No problem...he came and repaired the pipe. After a few days, no cool air.....again he came and fixed the pipe. After a few days, no cool air. AGAIN the same thing happened  He refused to come and fix it. No problem, I got a different guy to put in a new pipe. My likeable, decent guy turned out to be a crook when push came to shove..
Ripoff 2   THE LAWYER I had know and trusted for 5 years, made a sly but carefully thought out attempt to steal my house. I suspected that in the previous year, his manner had changed. So when he gave me a "Change of Directors" form to fill in (all in Thai) and insisted I signed there and then...I smelled a rat. My friend took me to HIS lawyer who told me that if I had signed that paper...I was putting my house into the name of his brother, also a lawyer.
Ripoff 3 .  There was a traffic jam on a slight hill. The guy in the pickup behind me got careless, and his car slowly ran into the back of my car...small dent. Usually with small stuff...there is a bit of on-the-spot negotiation. My wife asked him for 2000 baht--the usual for a not-so-large damage. He simply refused. He told her that he hated all foreigners ( farang) and no way he would pay anything. My wife got upset....but hey TIT. This Is Thailand.

I formed the opinion that living with this kind of stress was MUCH more than I wanted to but up with. I am a retired University lecturer....and I certainly deserved better than this shit. I have met and done business with MANY MANY Thais. I built 5 houses , one meets a lot of people, in that situation. Almost ALL the Thais I met were good, decent people, some of whom I became close to. Some I trusted enough to loan them money..   they NEVER let me down. Long ago, I had a relationship with an educated  rich Thai women. She had  more money/property than me. She was a goodie.....a giver, never a taker. She told me that the common philosophy was "Falang pay double."  Which is pretty accurate. Western style shops have put a stop to much of that.

If you feel you want to drive in the second most dangerous country IN THE WORLD....if you feel you want to live in a TERRIBLY corrupt country-corruption is everywhere- and it will nip you sometime....go ahead...come and live in Thailand. My advice for what it's worth, echos that of others. Go to Thai if you will...RENT a house for a couple of years. Regardless of your attitude to a new wife...you may finish up with one. You are YOUNG by Thai wife's husband standards, and your disablement will not be any problem for many of the contenders., You will be in demand. Get onto the internet...find one with a good education. If it all works out...take her back to England.
Living in Thai with a Mia Farang... (Thai wife) may make her a target for all manner of queer, unpleasant Thai women, poor, jealous, greedy,etc etc.

Although Pattaya has a deserved reputation as a sex capital....my life there with my family...is the same as my life in Oz. Should you find it is to your liking in spite of the considerable shortcomings, I wish you all the best
Brian

Did you have the lawyer charged for fraud? If not you have given him a green light to try the scam on some one else
He would be laughing and thinking farangs are weak!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Pretty sick. If you're pissed at people not giving you the info you require, perhaps take a look at how you're going about asking. 'Does it get cold in the cool season?', etc, when you've lived here already. Just wasting people's time. Next.

You're all heart!

Think very carefully, before you make the move. Thailand is great, but if you settle at a wrong spot, you may find it (extremely) difficult, when partly disabled. The best is to check various places, especially for your special demands, before you consider a move.

Where I stay, there are (probably by law) made facilities for disabled at many places, like special parking places (in the beginning often occupied by lazy locals, as there are close to entrances), ramps, and public toilets. However, many a sidewalk is partly blocked by one-or-other kind of obstacles (trees or light posts in the middle) and have high curbs (due to rainwater). As traffic can also be quite chaotic in many places, you shall take transport into consideration, and availability for various regular (daily) shopping needs. Also think about if you need some service for help, wherever you settle in apartment or bungalow/house.

Another important consideration is health insurance – or an easy accessable account with a reasonable amount for self insurance – as private hospitals can be costly. It's an important issue for everybody that wish to settle in Thailand.

Where I stay I see some few disabled, and partly disabled foreigners, and the all seem very happy, and looks like having i great time here...

:smile:

Edited by khunPer

5 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Think very carefully, before you make the move. Thailand is great, but if you settle at a wrong spot, you may find it (extremely) difficult, when partly disabled. The best is to check various places, especially for your special demands, before you consider a move.

Where I stay, there are (probably by law) made facilities for disabled at many places, like special parking places (in the beginning often occupied by lazy locals, as there are close to entrances), ramps, and public toilets. However, many a sidewalk is partly blocked by one-or-other kind of obstacles (trees or light posts in the middle) and have high curbs (due to rainwater). As traffic can also be quite chaotic in many places, you shall take transport into consideration, and availability for various regular (daily) shopping needs. Also think about if you need some service for help, wherever you settle in apartment or bungalow/house.

Another important consideration is health insurance – or an easy accessable account with a reasonable amount for self insurance – as private hospitals can be costly. It's an important issue for everybody that wish to settle in Thailand.

Where I stay I see some few disabled, and partly disabled foreigners, and the all seem very happy, and looks like having i great time here...

:smile:

Why can't people read all comments (or at least a few pages worth) before they comment? 

The OP has already admitted that he is 47 years old, suffers from a bad back caused by trying to lift a heavy wardrobe and has lived in Bangkok for 5 years.

He is not some old, infirm fuddy duddy.    He is not someone with no knowledge or experience living in Thailand.    He has a Thai wife, so he's not alone.

I am sure that the poster is a troll.  

However, having given the OP the benefit of the doubt, one poster suggested that Hua Hin was a possibility as a good place in which to retire.  Normally I would agree as I have retired happily here in Hua Hin, but then I am not wheelchair bound.  Everybody has to be carefull when WALKING around Hua Hin as the pavements are in a dreadful state, with missing pavoirs and missing or broken drain covers, plus low-hanging electric cables and exposed electric boxes.  Most tourists must find the lack of maintenance and resulting danger to pedestrians (and motorists also) an unwelcome revelation and quite shocking (sometimes literally).

How much would it cost to remedy most of these problems, resulting in a much more attractive town centre for locals and tourists alike, which would also help the tourism industry and this particular OP with his disability in particular?   We are constantly being told by TAT how much money tourism is raking in, but there is not too much evidence of much of it being spent on infrastructure, other than on the larger projects, which create good publicity.from the Junta's point of view.  The smaller but nevertheless very important items, such as pavement (sidewalk) maintenace never get mentioned and are rarely attended to, presumable because they are not newsworthy projects and because in Thailand there is daily evidence that safety considerations come almost last. 

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Why can't people read all comments (or at least a few pages worth) before they comment? 

The OP has already admitted that he is 47 years old, suffers from a bad back caused by trying to lift a heavy wardrobe and has lived in Bangkok for 5 years.

He is not some old, infirm fuddy duddy.    He is not someone with no knowledge or experience living in Thailand.    He has a Thai wife, so he's not alone.

Because OP says in his OP:

»I'm pushing 50 and was thinking where I should spend my retirement day's. Where do you suggest is the nicest places to retire in. I already have trouble walking so would need a scooter or walking aid to get around. Does Thailand have disabled driving car parking space? What about buying a condominium, if the lift shuts down there's no way I can climb up flights of stairs. I injured my back a few years ago and ruptured my spine. Should I retire in Thailand or stick it out in England..«

– I'm replying to OP's questions in his opening post, where he seem to be quite unfamiliar with Thailand...:smile:

Brian

You wrote all that to a possible troll and because you got minorly scammed on 3 minor occasions? And you are a university lecturer? I guess it's true that sometimes you can be over educated.

I've been to over 50 countries... Thailand is easily in my top 5.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You've been in BKK 5 years and you've been in Manc also... You're not a dumbass so if you're not a troll you can already compare disability living in the UK with that in thailand. It's really not complicated. UK is much better for immobile people than thailand. Esp if you need disability parking and stroller friendly restaurants and doorways.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Adapt to new surroundings? You sound like David Attenborough, no offence. Open minded is that the ladyboy part of Thailand?

You never answered my question. If you have been here 5 years why do you need to ask if Thailand is a good place to retire?

4 hours ago, grollies said:

It's a fair question tukky.

And one I shall answer, but before I do let me ask all of you this question. Are you retired or living in Thailand because you want your wife to be happy and close to her family? And if your wife has been to your home country and had no problems with living there, is it then you who choose Thailand to retire to.

Now the 5 year thing. I ask because it is on my mind, I guess I asked the wrong question though. The question I should have asked is as I get older and one day unable to work is do I retire here to keep my adored wife happy or risk her happiness and retire back in the U.K close to my friends and family?

Oh and can you get werthers originals, cardigans, and grandchildren to spoil if I retire here.

I'm still a troll, but one day I hope to be a unicorn.

Edited by tukkytuktuk

Only you and your wife can make that decision. If you like Thailand and she dislikes Manchester it seems pretty obvious to me that you should be in Thailand. Your financial affairs are key. Will you have enough to live on with regards to pension income and covering health costs? Do you sell up your property in the UK? I am not expecting you to answer these questions on this thread but you need to be clear in your own mind.

I enjoyed the troll / wind-up or whatever you want to call it. It was fun and didn't harm anyone. 

11 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

And one I shall answer, but before I do let me ask all of you this question. Are you retired or living in Thailand because you want your wife to be happy and close to her family? And if your wife has been to your home country and had no problems with living there, is it then you who choose Thailand to retire to.

Now the 5 year thing. I ask because it is on my mind, I guess I asked the wrong question though. The question I should have asked is as I get older and one day unable to work is do I retire here to keep my adored wife happy or risk her happiness and retire back in the U.K close to my friends and family?

Oh and can you get werthers originals, cardigans, and grandchildren to spoil if I retire here.

I'm still a troll, but one day I hope to be a unicorn.

Funny, you never mentioned you'd already been here 5 years in your initial post, you gave the impression you knew nothing about Thailand, asking about disabled parking, wheelchair access etc. I don't know why people have even bothered to respond to what is obviously a troll post. You obviously need something else to fill your time other than attention-seeking on this forum.

Edited by giddyup