Is Thailand a great place to retire?

tukkytuktuk

No. Better to stay in uk perhaps move area. Exchange rate here is very bad 43.3 baht to 1 pound. I guess you are not married so yes you can pay for a helper to live in. Medical here is high price. If you are a big drinker then you can meet the other piss heads in the bars. Retirees are quick to push and shove. My thai wife and i love tavistock by dartmoor where people are friendly. Come for a holiday and check it out. Nai harn and rawai are the best areas in phuket. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

What's that suppose to mean?
Are you old age phobic?
I am too pushing 50 years of age and also thinking about where to retire. Whats wrong with that?
I would buy a condo but I think that it wouldn't be a good investment. The other option is to build a house on land my wife had before we got married. I think I will opt for that option. That way I can keep the rest of my money safe in my bank accounts. Away from greedy eyes. I also have my son's inheritance to think of.

Your last sentence, I do not agree where inheritance is concerned, it is your sons duty to make his life for himself without you having to think about how much you can leave him. You should be thinking more about yourself as you head towards your retirement. 

13 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:
18 hours ago, champers said:
Nice troll OP. Good to see Freemans catalogue is still going strong. Have you reached the ladies' lingerie section yet?

What's that suppose to mean?
Are you old age phobic?
I am too pushing 50 years of age and also thinking about where to retire. Whats wrong with that?

50 is hardly old age.  

I'm 50 in a few months but I look, act and feel like someone in their 30's (actually I feel and act like I'm in my 20's).

If you are 50 and thinking of yourself as old already then I feel very sorry for you.

50 is hardly old age.  

I'm 50 in a few months but I look, act and feel like someone in their 30's (actually I feel and act like I'm in my 20's).

If you are 50 and thinking of yourself as old already then I feel very sorry for you.

But the first 50 years of childhood ARE the worst!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, seancbk said:

50 is hardly old age.  

We are all different in the way we feel as we get older. How you feel has nothing to do with how others feel at any age...

2 minutes ago, transam said:

We are all different in the way we feel as we get older. How you feel has nothing to do with how others feel at any age...

That is true Trans.

However, my comment about feeling sorry for people who should still be feeling young but aren't still stands.   Whether it is through misfortune (accident or something) or whether it is because they failed to look after themselves, or even they are just 'overly mature' and made themselves 'old' with their attitude, I still feel sorry for them.

19 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Well as long as there's somewhere to park your buggy and meet up with a good friend I'm sure thinking about retiring in Thailand. If anyone else can advise me on where I could stay, I would be most thankful. Does it get cold in the cool season, I wonder, must I bring a cardigan or two over as well. Okay I think that's it, time for my afternoon nap.

tmp_6127-product_595_file_large-1903011054.jpg

Looks like they already have experienced a "Happy Ending" massage... good on you boys!

Something that I have observed, but few comment upon is the isolation.  The few retirees that I have known at some depth eventually became isolated in their homes...it's too easy to just watch english tv and view the internet...a Thai gf or paid partner will get food and such...in the meantime, I see real and significant cognitive and physical declines, because the individuals do not engage with society and other people...back in your home country, you maybe be visited by friends and family more often, and social support is critical...

the variation of medical care is amazing...some hospitals are modern and advanced...others are decades behind...so you need to do a lot of research...

as you may notice from the postings here, no one is responsible in Thailand...if you are involved in an accident, you will be blamed most likely, and pay for any imagined injury...

driving is a hazard...so you need to find someplace you can walk to daily conveniences...if you drive a car or bike, you take your life in your hands...

depending on where you live, you will be a target for violence...

consideration of disabilities is only observed in tourist areas...regular streets and such are inaccessable   

if you think you might find a gf here, just remember that most Thai women do not have the same concept of love as westerners....you might be scammed of your retirement before you realize it...

doctors, police, and lawyers are not expected to uphold professional standards...even simple procedures such as a will are a gamble...and nothing will be done if you are cheated...

in summary...Thailand is great as long as you are independent...once your independence is compromised or diminished, you need to go back to england, where at least you can speak the language, call the police in the event of an emergency, find comfort food, and trust that your estate (no matter how big or small) will go to your intended beneficiaries...I would say come here, have a nice time...experience life...monitor your health, and when you start to see a decline in independence, haul yourself back to home and the support your will need...so don't burn your bridges in your home country...don't sell everything and come here...it is a big risk and the odds are not in your favor usually.

I have worked with the disabled in many countries. Thailand is pretty much a crapshoot as far as mobility for the disabled here. The sidewalks are not consistent and quite often slant or go up and down, many times blocked with either cars, trucks, or scooters. No cutouts to negotiate getting up and down. If the sidewalk is blocked you cannot get past the obstacle, or go off the pavement. For the seriously disabled it is not a user friendly country. Throw in crossing the roads in a mobility scooter and your chances of dieing early have just increased substantially. Depending on where you live here it can be extremely hot and sweaty in the summer. Upside, you would probably be able to find inexpensive help in the shape of a nurse, or cook, that would help your life. If you have the money just come here for a holiday and check it out. If this was a troll post....let us hope that your karma doesn't catch up with you for pretending to be disabled.

I used to see a disabled woman motor in around town I one of the little scooters you posted a pic of. A Thai girl followed her everywhere on an electric bike. I presume I was her live in aid. Seems like a good arrangement that would cost peanuts compared to other countries.

I'm not sure if I am a troll or not. I'm 47 years old and have what you might call a slipped disc. It happened 3 years ago when lifting a heavy wardrobe upstairs. I'm on strong painkillers, tramadol and also take sleeping pills. I never said where I was living. I live in Bangkok. Have for over 5 years but still travel back to the UK every year. I want to know if retiring here is the best option. I know its a long way off. But my 5 years in Los have been pretty much positive. I have a wife and wanted to return to England 2 years ago. We went for a holiday. She didn't like it. She couldn't wait to return back to Thailand. Manchester wasn't her cup of tea. I'm just planning my retirement. Oh and why the photos of old people and paraphernalia? I expect this is what I will need when I retire. The other videos and adverts were in response to some unsavoury comments. Anyways I'm just asking. If it doesn't help me I'm sure some posts can help others who are thinking of retirement here. Some posts have been very informative. And even if I were a troll, the overall responses have helped some people. Why some people have to look at the negative side of everything is pretty sad. And now you got me being serious. This is the Farang Pub thread. When discussing a topic it is done like your down the pub with your pals. Not Mr Serious discussion down the local conservative club.

On 2/13/2017 at 0:04 PM, ev1lchris said:

Thailand is really great but I don't see a lot of considerations for the disabled.

I concur. You might also need a lot of hospital care in the future and that can be a problem as well. You make no mention of a wife or care giver and that also comes into play. The climate works in your favor but the sidewalks can be deadly. Sometimes its best to stick with what you know. Sorry about your disability. Life can and does suck at times. 

8 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I'm not sure if I am a troll or not. I'm 47 years old and have what you might call a slipped disc. It happened 3 years ago when lifting a heavy wardrobe upstairs. I'm on strong painkillers, tramadol and also take sleeping pills. I never said where I was living. I live in Bangkok. Have for over 5 years but still travel back to the UK every year. I want to know if retiring here is the best option. I know its a long way off. But my 5 years in Los have been pretty much positive. I have a wife and wanted to return to England 2 years ago. We went for a holiday. She didn't like it. She couldn't wait to return back to Thailand. Manchester wasn't her cup of tea. I'm just planning my retirement. Oh and why the photos of old people and paraphernalia? I expect this is what I will need when I retire. The other videos and adverts were in response to some unsavoury comments. Anyways I'm just asking. If it doesn't help me I'm sure some posts can help others who are thinking of retirement here. Some posts have been very informative. And even if I were a troll, the overall responses have helped some people. Why some people have to look at the negative side of everything is pretty sad. And now you got me being serious. This is the Farang Pub thread. When discussing a topic it is done like your down the pub with your pals. Not Mr Serious discussion down the local conservative club.

You've lived here for 5 years and you are still asking other people if it's a good place to retire?  Sounds like a troll to me.

Edited by giddyup

OP, just something to think about...I have two ex wives that had slipped discs, their problems did not go away after taking all sorts of drugs. They both had spinal surgery to fix stuff, encased in plaster for quite a while. Was bit of a nightmare...

You should forget about retirement venues at your age until your back problem is sorted, and for sure the UK is your only option until you achieve that at this stage..

I concur. You might also need a lot of hospital care in the future and that can be a problem as well. You make no mention of a wife or care giver and that also comes into play. The climate works in your favor but the sidewalks can be deadly. Sometimes its best to stick with what you know. Sorry about your disability. Life can and does suck at times. 

My wife does so much for me already. My disability is having a bad back. The pain is worst at night and when I wake up. But it's not stopped me walking. I just can't lift heavy objects. I don't go to the hospital at all. I just get my wife to top up my pharmacy pills once every 3 months. As for sidewalks. I walk on the road mostly. Living in Bangkok there's always obstructions on the pavement such as parked cars, street stalls, open man hole covers, dog poo, etc.

It's obvious that Thailand is a very poor choice for the disabled. 

It really is absolutely less than disabled friendly. From people taking the disabled parking spots, to malls installs stairs to get to the escalators, to sidewalks either falling apart or unusable due to vendors, and don't even think about trying to cross the street. I have often wondered how disabled, the old and the infirm can get around to perform the most basic of functions. Just try to imagine accessing a restroom in most stores and malls - difficult to impossible.

You also need to ask yourself if the place you stay can be modified to meet your needs - I seriously doubt it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

My wife does so much for me already. My disability is having a bad back. The pain is worst at night and when I wake up. But it's not stopped me walking. I just can't lift heavy objects. I don't go to the hospital at all. I just get my wife to top up my pharmacy pills once every 3 months. As for sidewalks. I walk on the road mostly. Living in Bangkok there's always obstructions on the pavement such as parked cars, street stalls, open man hole covers, dog poo, etc.

Trust me you would not want to walk on the road here the crosswalks are dangerous enough for me. You have a wife which is good. Good pain killers could be a problem. Another thing that comes into play is the funds you have available. Thailand is a place where for the right price you can get loads of help. I have seen this first hand. You say you do not go to the hospital but the future can be fickle at best. You sound like a brave lad so if you do come always have an exit plan in case of emergency. Life is like a card game. Its high stakes poker and the ante is always being upped. 

Difficult question to answer but the insurance as mentioned is very important as no health care.

I have been here 24 years & am now 66 but am still mobile.

Hire an apartment in a nice place in Pattaya , Hua Hin or Phuket for 3 months & try it.

Get a place with 2 lifts. Good Luck it may work but try not to burn bridges for a couple of years

I used to see a disabled woman motor in around town I one of the little scooters you posted a pic of. A Thai girl followed her everywhere on an electric bike. I presume I was her live in aid. Seems like a good arrangement that would cost peanuts compared to other countries.

True but pay peanuts get...........

Best of luck to you both, but unless I'm mistaken you seem to not mention any long -term treatment to cure your ailment, only short term solutions. Apologies, if I am wrong.

18 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

I would buy a condo but I think that it wouldn't be a good investment. The other option is to build a house on land my wife had before we got married. I think I will opt for that option. That way I can keep the rest of my money safe in my bank accounts. Away from greedy eyes. I also have my son's inheritance to think of.

Throw one of those Sherwood composite houses on there that Global House do to minimize costs. :wink:

16 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

You know I can still remember the first sweets given to me by my grandfather.
They were Werther’s originals, I was just 4 years old.
It tasted, sweet, creamy and made me feel like a special person.
I remember feeling I must be someone very special when my grandad gave me his wonderful butter candy.
Now, I’m the grandad,
and what else would I give my grandson, but my Werther’s original?
He, too, is someone very special.

Can you get Werther's originals in Thailand?

tmp_12493-title81020161.jpg

Pretty sick. If you're pissed at people not giving you the info you require, perhaps take a look at how you're going about asking. 'Does it get cold in the cool season?', etc, when you've lived here already. Just wasting people's time. Next.