Is Thailand a great place to retire?

tukkytuktuk

I'm pushing 50 and was thinking where I should spend my retirement day's. Where do you suggest is the nicest places to retire in. I already have trouble walking so would need a scooter or walking aid to get around. Does Thailand have disabled driving car parking space? What about buying a condominium, if the lift shuts down there's no way I can climb up flights of stairs. I injured my back a few years ago and ruptured my spine. Should I retire in Thailand or stick it out in England.

tmp_6127-thumbnail.img1401183640.png

tmp_6127-eco-brand-scooter-860003513.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disabled access is very poor and sporadic, so choose your location well. Forget public transport in most cases, you'll need a small car, or maybe a moto-trike if you're a confident and capable driver in the mayhem they call traffic here :)  Also choose a location where you can get full health insurance with one of the really good hospitals close by.  Putting yourself in the hands of the ambulances is a total lottery.  It really depends on what you're used to --  certainly Thailand can be cheap, but that's not always enough of an advantage.....

Okay so far two posters say stay and one says maybe. I have friend whose dad lives in Buri Ram. He says he is 78 years old and hasn't had alot of difficulty except he says when its time to do his visa. I don't want to live in the country side. I would like to live in a quiet, coastal community. Not to far from civilization, a supermarket, restaurants and a hospital, yes that would be nice.

Edited by tukkytuktuk

" quiet and coastal " is a bit of an oxymoron in a country designed for tropical tourism ;)  Living alone would mean you'd need to be in some form of condo community. Maybe you can find something suitable around Jomtien or Hua Hin.  Rent at first and see how you get along.  Look for the local expats from your own country and culture so that you can communicate easily.  Most important is INSURANCE.  There is NO SAFETY NET in Thailand.  Please excuse the caps, but this can not be stressed enough.

9 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Okay so far two posters say stay and one says maybe. I have friend whose dad lives in Buri Ram. He says he is 78 years old and hasn't had alot of difficulty except he says when its time to do his visa. I don't want to live in the country side. I would like to live in a quiet, coastal community. Not to far from civilization, a supermarket, restaurants and a hospital, yes that would be nice.

Isle of Wight......:stoner:

Well as long as there's somewhere to park your buggy and meet up with a good friend I'm sure thinking about retiring in Thailand. If anyone else can advise me on where I could stay, I would be most thankful. Does it get cold in the cool season, I wonder, must I bring a cardigan or two over as well. Okay I think that's it, time for my afternoon nap.

tmp_6127-product_595_file_large-1903011054.jpg

Edited by tukkytuktuk

My retirement choice was made on standard of living and weather the rest came later.

I see many places adapting for disable in many areas of Thailand,  supermarkets, garages for starters,  not a poor choice at all.

No problem with diapers there are old people and disable in Thailand ya know, now there's a breaking news story.

Just make sure you have adequate funds or some health insurance arrangements available.

Nice troll OP. Good to see Freemans catalogue is still going strong. Have you reached the ladies' lingerie section yet?

What's that suppose to mean?
Are you old age phobic?
I am too pushing 50 years of age and also thinking about where to retire. Whats wrong with that?
I would buy a condo but I think that it wouldn't be a good investment. The other option is to build a house on land my wife had before we got married. I think I will opt for that option. That way I can keep the rest of my money safe in my bank accounts. Away from greedy eyes. I also have my son's inheritance to think of.

I'm nearer 60 than 50 and have recently moved here to retire. I am in a condo and thinking about buying after my rental period.  My Thai lady has some inherited land out in the sticks but that is probably for later in life. I think the OP's thread is quite funny and a troll. He's moved seamlessly from walkers  to nappies to cardigans. What's next? Maybe we will find out after his afternoon nap which he went for in the early hours of a UK morning. You could always take a look at some of his previous posts and then tell me he isn't extracting the Michael. Then again, I might be losing my marbles. 

PS. Good luck with your move (if you go ahead) . It is a truly life changing decision so I would advise taking your time unless circumstances dictate otherwise. I've no regrets so far.

Edited by champers

You know I can still remember the first sweets given to me by my grandfather.
They were Werther’s originals, I was just 4 years old.
It tasted, sweet, creamy and made me feel like a special person.
I remember feeling I must be someone very special when my grandad gave me his wonderful butter candy.
Now, I’m the grandad,
and what else would I give my grandson, but my Werther’s original?
He, too, is someone very special.

Can you get Werther's originals in Thailand?

tmp_12493-title81020161.jpg

10 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

You know I can still remember the first sweets given to me by my grandfather.
They were Werther’s originals, I was just 4 years old.
It tasted, sweet, creamy and made me feel like a special person.
I remember feeling I must be someone very special when my grandad gave me his wonderful butter candy.
Now, I’m the grandad,
and what else would I give my grandson, but my Werther’s original?
He, too, is someone very special.

Can you get Werther's originals in Thailand?

tmp_12493-title81020161.jpg

Yep, seen 'em in Tescos, or was or Makro?

I think that England has too many problems as far as the immigration situation is concerned. Thailand also has it's problems as has any country. but the good outweighs the bad here, especially where England, or should I say Britain is concerned.

But if the main thing for the OP is concern about is his disability, you very well may have a point, as the Thai driving and riding mentality leaves a lot to be desired, as has the condition of a lot of the pavements.

19 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

19 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I think it is disgraceful that someone of 78 years old should be having problems with visas, and it will only get worse as he gets older. Assuming this chap has lived here for at least ten years, and has had no misendeavors, he should be granted permanent residency instead of having to keep worrying about visas.

In this situation, the Thai government should be ashamed of themselves.